Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2019, 17:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

England: New homes must have electric car charging points

According to a media report, the government is planning to introduce a regulation that would force home builders to install charging points in new homes for residents to charge plug-in hybrids or electric cars. If the regulation is passed, England could become the first country in the world to have mandatory electric car charging points at home. Charging points at home are expected to improve the charging infrastructure in the country and also offer convenience to the owners who can charge their cars overnight.

England: New homes must have electric car charging points-dsc_0167.jpg

It is unclear as to how chargers will be installed at homes without off-street parking. The report also suggests that the government has invested £40 million into the research of wireless charging points and charge points that rise up from the pavement.

The Department for Transport has also said that from next year, public charging points must accept contactless payments and drivers need not rely on subscription plans.

Source: Auto Express

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 16th July 2019 at 17:02.
ChiragM is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 23:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: England: New homes must have electric car charging points

Great move. But I think it might be a little redundant considering all houses can just tap the cabling and install chargers.
They can just make it a law that all places to be rented should have the chargers installed at the Owners' expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
It is unclear as to how chargers will be installed at homes without off-street parking......
Are there even such new houses with no parking built in? Can someone whos lived in the UK confirm?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 23:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Great move. But I think it might be a little redundant considering all houses can just tap the cabling and install chargers.
They can just make it a law that all places to be rented should have the chargers installed at the Owners' expense.

Are there even such new houses with no parking built in? Can someone whos lived in the UK confirm?

Installing a charger is a bit more complicated than just tap the cabling.

Lots of new houses being build in the UK and in many places in the world that do not have dedicated or on premise parking. Just about all terraced housing estates would qualify. Rows of houses, with what the English call "street parking".

Very common.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 02:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, this only works where you have dedicated parking (house or apartment). Otherwise, this is very difficult to implement. The same reason I am not keen on an electric car in Bangalore. I would only consider it once I move to Coorg as I have the space for my own parking and the ability to mount a renewable (solar/wind) charger
Old 17th July 2019, 07:55   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pretty cool. UK has also introduced lamp-post charging points. Thanks to BHPian benu9714 for sharing a picture in this thread.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks