Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2020, 18:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renault Zoe EV to be launched in India

According to a media report, Renault could launch the Zoe EV in India in 2020 or 2021. The hatchback is expected to be assembled in India and could cost around Rs. 15 lakh.

Renault Zoe EV to be launched in India-zoe.jpg

The UK-spec Zoe measures 4,087 mm in length, 1,787 mm in width and 1,562 mm in height with a wheelbase of 2,588 mm and a kerb weight of 1,502 kg. Its boot space is rated at 338 litres.

The report suggests that Renault is testing and modifying the Zoe to suit Indian conditions. The manufacturer is also testing the car's range.

In the international markets, the Zoe comes with a 52 kWh battery back and an electric motor in 2 states of tune - 107 BHP and 133 BHP. Depending on the variant, it has a range between 383 km and 394 km. However, in India, the Zoe could come with a 41 kWh battery and an 89 BHP electric motor. The real-world range of the car is expected to be around 300 - 350 km.

The Zoe is expected to be showcased at the 2020 Auto Expo, which is scheduled to be held in Greater Noida in February.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 9th January 2020 at 18:13.
ChiragM is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 18:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Renault Zoe EV to be launched in India

Not many would pay 15 lakh Rupees for a hatchback in India, don't you think? I don't think the tech is mature enough to demand such a large premium for now atleast. Maybe in the next decade or more.
Old 9th January 2020, 18:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Not many would pay 15 lakh Rupees for a hatchback in India, don't you think? I don't think the tech is mature enough to demand such a large premium for now atleast. Maybe in the next decade or more.
A lot of people are paying 12 lakhs for top end i20 in some states. This will find takers for sure!

Especially if you factor in the maintenance cost savings, the premium may be worth it.
2000rpm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 18:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
A lot of people are paying 12 lakhs for top end i20 in some states. This will find takers for sure!

Especially if you factor in the maintenance cost savings, the premium may be worth it.
12 lakhs for an i20? And I thought nothing would surprise me this week

Sure, it might find a couple hundred (max) buyers, but don't expect it to sell like hot cakes. This is what I meant when saying the tech won't really catch on as of now. Please prove me otherwise if I'm mistaken
Old 9th January 2020, 18:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think the tech is mature enough to demand such a large premium for now atleast.
Nissan has a very successful EV in Leaf that is sold in North America, Europe and Japan. If Nissan and Renault have shared technology on the Zoe, there is no reason to feel this tech is not mature enough.

Zoe/Leaf being launched in India would be very welcome news. I feel sad that these products would then be let down by the shoddy dealer/service centre network.
libranof1987 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 20:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is an exciting bit of news and can be just the product with makes the Renault brand cool. The specs seem to be in place and the price figure indicated also seems spot on. Let’s hope this sees the light soon and when it comes, it comes fully loaded. And that Renault doesn’t find a way to mess up the ergonomics or do India specific cost cutting. This can the be car that makes EVs the desirable thing for the urban buyer, this along with the two Tata EVs Nexon and Altroz.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 06:38   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice to see Renault tapping into its global portfolio to bring a truly world-class product here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
In the international markets, the Zoe comes with a 52 kWh battery back and an electric motor in 2 states of tune - 107 BHP and 133 BHP. Depending on the variant, it has a range between 383 km and 394 km. However, in India, the Zoe could come with a 41 kWh battery and an 89 BHP electric motor. The real-world range of the car is expected to be around 300 - 350 km.
Healthy numbers. Although I hope Renault doesn't water down the specs so much that it becomes "boring". Price it 1 lakh more, but keep it exciting!

Quote:
Sure, it might find a couple hundred (max) buyers, but don't expect it to sell like hot cakes. This is what I meant when saying the tech won't really catch on as of now.
That's the case with any new technology.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 10:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's the case with any new technology.
Any new technology can become main stream in two ways
- a lot of players selling small numbers for a sustained period of time (maybe fuel injection or ABS or Airbags tech)
- one player enjoying runaway success (like Tesla did in US)

In India, its essential for more and more players to introduce EV models so that EV as a concept gets familiar first. The journey which it will need to follow in India is
  • Familiarization (understand that such products exist with these pros and cons)
  • Try and experiment (first hand experience of the product
  • Network penetration (someone in network buys)
  • Word of mouth (person who bought is happy with it)
  • Leap of faith (buy the product)

Introduction of more models will fasten the pace of all the 5 steps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks