Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2020, 21:37   #1
BHPian

Tesla lasts longest in Mat Watson's range test of 6 electric cars

So, Mat Watson from Carwow did a range test for 6 electric cars to see how long each lasts before having to stop. They also show how electric cars react when they run out of battery and if it's possible to push them.

SPOILER ALERT: Here are the ranges achieved by the cars (in km) tested.

Mercedes EQC: 312km = 75% of claimed range
Audi E-tron: 331km = 81% of claimed range
Nissan Leaf: 334km = 87% of claimed range
Jaguar I-pace: 358km = 76% of claimed range
Kia e-Niro: 410km = 90% of claimed range
Tesla Model 3: 434km = 78 % of claimed range

Mat also makes an interesting point that diesel cars get only about 75% of their economy figures.

Given its price, I think the e-Niro is clearly the star here. I believe it's related to the Hyundai Kona EV sold in India though it has a 64 kWh battery and while Indian Kona gets only a 39.2 kWh battery.

Here's the link:

dragracer567 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 12:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tesla lasts longest in Mat Watson's range test of 6 electric cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Given its price, I think the e-Niro is clearly the star here. I believe it's related to the Hyundai Kona EV sold in India though it has a 64 kWh battery and while Indian Kona gets only a 39.2 kWh battery.
Yes, you are right. The e-Niro is basically the same as the Kona. Even the Kona with a smaller battery pack has a healthy range of around 300 km (and maybe much more than 300) in the real world. Also depends on how you drive.

While efficiency wise, the Kia is the winner here, the Tesla does take it away with maximum range, and this is more important as it helps reduce range anxiety, the main worry for electric car customers.

While diesels can reach only about 75% of their claimed efficiency, ALL these electric cars reached much closer to their claimed range.

Last edited by ChiragM : 15th January 2020 at 12:04.
ChiragM is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks