Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 19:31   #1
BHPian

Using Electric Cars to power homes

Apart from known zero emission and almost nil maintainence, can these power homes in blackouts. I read Nissan Leaf can do that. Having 30 kW battery gives enormous potential usage.
bullock-Car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Using Electric Cars to power homes

The ideal two car garage in my book is a full sized diesel SUV, think Ford Endeavour 3.2, and an electric hatchback. You have the big car for going long distance and for family use, and the smaller EV to do all the daily running with zero noise, zero pollution and much less stress.

But yes, the EV needs to have a real world range of 250-300km minimum. Year after year, with AC, with headlights and wipers running, with music playing and with my mobile phone charging. The Nexon’s estimated 180km range is a bit less for my usage and liking. Kona could have been perfect, had it been priced more on the lines of the Tata.

Personally, I see myself having a 3 car garage in the mid future - one full sized diesel 4x4 SUV and two smaller EVs for daily usage.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th January 2020 at 20:28.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 11:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
Apart from known zero emission and almost nil maintainence, can these power homes in blackouts. I read Nissan Leaf can do that. Having 30 kW battery gives enormous potential usage.
Currently, CCS does not support V2G(Vehicle to grid) or V2H(vehicle to Home).

ChadeMo does support it though, and it is being trialed in Netherlands at this time. There is talk of using all the electric car's batteries as a stabilization tool for the grid.
mohanphadnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 11:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
I had seen a video on youtube in which Tesla owners were talking about running their vehicle as a cab while they're in the office/sleeping etc., once level 5 autonomy is achieved in the future.

The new Leaf has even larger 40-60 kWh batteries, but not sure how you can extract the energy back from the car (apart from the on board sockets). Perhaps a PTO (Power Take Off) unit like on pick-ups and tractors?
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 13:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it's possible to take power from EV batteries and power your house. Atleast not without some serious equipment. And a lot of questions that'll need answering.

For starters, you'd need an inverter. To convert the DC power to AC to run the lights etc in your house. More importantly, you'd have to have a system where your house can disconnect from the grid otherwise you just might have the power flowing back to the grid - and risking the life of someone who might be working on the wires assuming it's disconnected.

In a country like India, where you have the government regulating the utilities, there would have to be significant changes in the rules as well as the technology to ensure utilities are equipped to handle the same.

Then you'd need the cars ECU to be programmed to know when to release power and when to store it. And batteries degrade over time, even when equipped to power an electric motor. So what effect will it have on their longevity and durability if they're also being employed to power your house?
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:16   #6
BHPian

Actually most discarded batteries from EVs will eventually find their way to power up homes eventually. There are already some people in US who not only use but sell Tesla batteries to be used in solar setups in homes.
So I won't be surprised to see manufacturers come up with some similar options in the future.
See this guy's whole house and 2 Teslas being charged through solar and his battery system are basically Tesla S modules.

https://057tech.com/solar

They also sell a Tesla S battery module of 5.2kWh capacity with either the Tesla BMS or a custom BMS for $1349.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I don't think it's possible to take power from EV batteries and power your house. Atleast not without some serious equipment. So what effect will it have on their longevity and durability if they're also being employed to power your house?
Nissan has talked about the possibility to power homes since 2011. The idea itself is not so outlandish. I think Tesla is conflicted in providing this feature. Most Tesla owners in CA have home solar, and so they already have inverters, and monitoring electronics that convert DC from the panels into AC (and ability to monitor). But, Tesla is more interested in selling their Powerwall product - which is a 13kw battery pack to store/power homes. Model 3 has the capacity of 5 power walls, in theory it should be possible to power the homes from the EV. Elon has talked about it, during outages. It has just not been a priority, especially when they have the Powerwall.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 10:58   #8
BHPian

Re: Using Electric Cars to power homes

Quite a few secondary / tertiary advantages that I can think of -

1) Dusty places (like most of India) will have relatively lesser dust kicking off of roads - anyone that's been on a 2-wheeler around BMTC buses will know what I mean!

2) Reduction in noise pollution - the diesel clatters; poorly maintained petrols etc.

3) Better centralization of polluting sources - with the very long tailpipes of EVs leading to some form of centralization in this pollution, it will (rather should) enable better handling of pollutants.

4) Longer life for brake pads - with the regenerative braking.

5) Better preservation of the ecosystem - with no more (engine) oil change, many people will just not be able to dispose those oils any and every where!

6) Better electricity reach even to remote places - we won't any more have to rely on various political manifestos and power has better chance of reaching even the remotest of places in the country - be it solar, wind, water or whatever else might be the popular flavor of the times.
Old 30th January 2020, 11:04   #9
BHPian

I like the thought process of the thread to think of added benefits EVs would bring. IMO, the direct benefits are so overwhelming that indirect ones are sheer bonus.

As far as the idea of powering homes using EVs is concerned, I have my reservations. Because, blackouts and EVs are contradictory in theory from an infrastructure adequacy perspective. In a world of EVs, blackouts would be a sin. The concept may not have much scope/scale.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 30th January 2020 at 11:06.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:47   #10
BHPian

The Nissan Leaf website describes this concept “Vehicle to Home” Electricity Supply System. in the following weblink
https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TEC...e_to_home.html
The concept describes the vehicle can power home using a suitable PCS.
The car has potential to power homes in emergencies i.e. large blackouts, storms etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Using Electric Cars to power homes-f514a361824d29.jpg  

Using Electric Cars to power homes-leaf_to_home01e.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks