BHPian

Tata Nexon EV with a windmill mounted on the roof

Genius jugaad or stupid contraption, you decide

https://www.cartoq.com/tata-nexon-ev-windmill-on-roof/
ishan12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Nexon EV with a windmill mounted on the roof

Buyer`s remorse - this fellow learned about where the electricity in the grid comes from.

Or

Did not pay attention in school during physics classes.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Genius jugaad or stupid contraption, you decide

https://www.cartoq.com/tata-nexon-ev-windmill-on-roof/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Buyer`s remorse - this fellow learned about where the electricity in the grid comes from.

Or

Did not pay attention in school during physics classes.
Both of you are wrong. This device is a turbo for EV vehicles and will soon be patented as such.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely stupid concept. Wrong on so many levels.

1. Clearly the people behind this have no understanding of drag or how weight affects efficiency or even basic law of conservation of energy.

2 Nexon EV can’t be driven when it’s being charged. It gets locked by software. So if the car is getting charged while it’s being driven, the software has been tampered with.

3. How is this even road legal? We live in a world where roof mounted luggage carriers are frowned upon for private cars and this fellow is getting away with this? How is he not challaned day in and day out for such a modification? Does the insurance remain valid after such a mod?

4. Manufacturers pour and lot of effort and money to ensure their charging solutions are safe, sturdy and fairly weather resistant. Who is going to ensure that here? What if a surge or short circuit leads to an issue with the battery, causing a fire or an explosion? Who will be liable? What happens during rains? Certainly, the insurance company won’t pay a penny if anything happens.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 16th February 2021 at 13:44.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 16:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Absolutely stupid concept. Wrong on so many levels.

What if a surge or short circuit leads to an issue with the battery, causing a fire or an explosion? Who will be liable? What happens during rains? Certainly, the insurance company won’t pay a penny if anything happens.
I can imagine the flow of debate if this Nexon EV catches fire.
People will bring back the incidents involving the very first batch of Nano catching fire and crucify Tata for having poor QC, ASS etc etc and the Nexon EV will become a "hit or miss" , risky or frowned upon product overnight.

PS- Not criticizing anyone's view point here
Old 16th February 2021, 16:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Stupid Person. Atleast he should have put a mechanism that brings down the mill and hides it when moving and is up when parked
Hope someone stops and talks to this guy.
Old 16th February 2021, 17:32   #7
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV with a windmill mounted on the roof

This reminds one of my distant brothers in his Electrical Engineering Post Graduation.

His team wanted to build self charging electric car (converted omni)with solar panels and wind mills where ever possible. I had really tough time convincing them but they went ahead. I did not even bother to check what is the outcome.

I guess project is rebooted after many years and we see the first prototype.
sushantr5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 17:39   #8
BANNED

This Nexon owner could have done a better job if he opted for this IMO. At least it would have been really useful in this case.

As mentioned by Shreyans, if you can't charge while on the move, then its useless. Most probably he must be carrying another battery and inverter too (Probably 100 kilo) more weight in the boot or cabin, just to assure that this system actually gives some benefit.

VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 02:30   #9
BANNED

Well, people who buy electric cars for Rs15 lakhs are ....
Hint: A ..... and his money are easily parted.

Buy an electric car when it is priced at Rs 6 lakhs. The Renault City KZ-E is selling in China.
EVs in India are priced ridiculously. However, there are enough people who like being shot out of fair ground cannons to ensure that a Rs 15 lakh EV becomes a best seller in a a market of 3.
By the way the Tata Nexon acceleration is nothing like what Elon Musk's contraption can achieve.
Happy batterying.
Old 17th February 2021, 10:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Genius jugaad or stupid contraption,
It is already on our https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5001980 (Pics of weird & wacky mod jobs in India!)

Didn't require a thread of its own.

Regards
Old 17th February 2021, 13:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperweight View Post
Well, people who buy electric cars for Rs15 lakhs are ....
1.Hint: A ..... and his money are easily parted.

2. Buy an electric car when it is priced at Rs 6 lakhs. The Renault City KZ-E is selling in China.
3.EVs in India are priced ridiculously. However, there are enough people who like being shot out of fair ground cannons to ensure that a Rs 15 lakh EV becomes a best seller in a a market of 3.
4. By the way the Tata Nexon acceleration is nothing like what Elon Musk's contraption can achieve.
Happy batterying.
1. I can say that about almost every car buyer above hatchbacks in India. I see value only in Maruti Tata hatchbacks and Magnite/Kiger. How people spend 20 plus lakhs on lifted hatchbacks being passed off as SUVs is beyond me. It all depends on one's perspective. They will call you and me a fool. There are whole articles on how new cars keep people poor. How people go beyond their means to impress others by buying car above their punching weight. Again, it all depends on one's viewpoint.

2. EV at 6 L? keep dreaming. They are selling Jazz at rupees 11 plus lakhs and i20 at 13 plus lakhs and you want someone to sell an EV at 6 lakhs?

3. EVs are priced ridiculously high? What about cars mentioned at 1 and 2 above? Are those priced reasonably? Do you find only Nexon EV at 15 lakhs as ridiculous? So, ZS and Kona EVs at 24 and 26 lakhs are ok-priced? Yes, even I find Nexon EV overpriced but then as mentioned at 1. above I find almost all cars over-priced.

4. Sure top-model Tesla (which for some reason is a contraption to you) does naught to quintal at 2.4 seconds. Do you think they will sell Tesla at Nexon EVs price of 15 lakhs? You should apply reasoning when comparing cars. It's like telling an Alto buyer, "why didn't you buy an Aston Martin? That is so much better".
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 15:07   #12
BANNED

Evs at 6 lakh? Completely possible when you see a Mahindra Treo Yaari at 1.6 lakhs. This is an electric autorickshaw that transports thousands of people each day. What are the social barriers and mockery that prevent people using these vshicles fir personal use? We need to think sensibly and to maximise value when we spend. 18 people die every hour from road accidents in India and nearly half of those are two wheeler related. 3 wheelers and quadricycles can make a difference to these grim statistics. The battery is the main drawback of present evs. But yes, 6 lakhs is not such an unreasonable figure and I am not dreaming.
paperweight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks