Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 23:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia launches EV faster than Porsche’s Taycan 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The bookings in India will start from 26th May and deliveries from September.

We are getting GT Line trim with 77,4 kWh battery and RWD and AWD variants.

AWD gets the augmented reality HUD as well meridian 14 speaker premium system. Loadings are similar to what they offer in Europe. Have the spec sheet but don't know if it's ok to post it here. Prices are expected to be between 50 lac-60 Lac. I believe, Kia will this more as brand building exercise than earning profits.

Almost all of the reviews are very positive about this car, will be interesting to see how it fairs in India. We have in past not been very kind to high price launches by non-EU manufacturers barring Toyota.
Nice to know this. It now remains to be seen how many will be ready to plonk > 50 lakhs on a Kia.

All reviews are positive as these (Kia EV 6, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Mach-E, ID 4, Polestar 2 etc) are global products and are really good cars.

Choosing them is purely dependent on brand, price and VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
The GT Line gets 325 ponies but the GT gets much more at 585. GTL does 0-100 in 5 seconds while the GT does it in 3.5.

Honestly, unless the GTL AWD will fit the bill for most people. I drove my brother’s Polestar 2 for almost a 1000 miles while in the US and that thing has 408 HP and 0-100 in 4.5 seconds. I’d say it’s more than enough car for most people. Same applies to the GTL AWD.

GT isn’t out yet and will be available in the US sometime by the end of the year or early next year.
EV6 GTL does the 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds as per Redline review which is plenty fast.

I test drove the Polestar 2 and it did not WOW me as I thought it would. EV6 is a better car comparatively in my opinion.

Here is my test drive review of Polestar 2 :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5309676 (Polestar 2: Volvo teases Tesla Model 3 rival)
Old 20th May 2022, 09:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
EV6 GTL does the 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds as per Redline review which is plenty fast.

I test drove the Polestar 2 and it did not WOW me as I thought it would. EV6 is a better car comparatively in my opinion.

Here is my test drive review of Polestar 2 :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5309676 (Polestar 2: Volvo teases Tesla Model 3 rival)
I'm surprised you didn't like the Polestar. I drove close to 1000 miles in my brother's Polestar 2 with the Performance Pack.

I absolutely fell in love with that car! Polestar 2 with PP did 0-100 4.19s in Redline's review.

It is quite impractical with its rear seat space but I had zero complaints about the performance or drivetrain/chassis. I took quite a few let's say well-over-speed-limit speed bends with the car and didn't find it lacking.

Acceleration definitely isn't as fast as the Teslas and if nothing else matters then you will not like the others either. Mach E is slow compared to even the EV6/Ioniq and Polestar.

But personally, I don't like teslas as much. Except maybe the Model S, I don't feel the others are worth the money. Yes, you get Cheetah mode and a fart producer and custom horns, but I'd take good build quality and decent performance over that.
venom_op is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:00   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
I'm surprised you didn't like the Polestar. I drove close to 1000 miles in my brother's Polestar 2 with the Performance Pack.
Polestar 2 didn't impress me as much as the EV6 GT Line.

Polestar 2 felt inferior from interior space, quality of materials and terrible space in back seat.

From a performance aspect, neither car have a 'Wow" factor.

Please note, I own a BMW X3 M40i with a B58 engine and my benchmark for "Wow" factor is on a higher side.. When I drove my car immediately after the Polestar 2 drive, difference in performance and acceleration is like the sky & earth.

For first time in my life, I am assessing a car beyond performance aspects as I want to buy an EV that is tech savvy, driving is fun and VFM.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th May 2022 at 21:06. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:09   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please note, I own a BMW X3 M40i with a B58 engine and my benchmark for "Wow" factor is on a higher side.. When I drove my car immediately after the Polestar 2 drive, difference in performance and acceleration is like the sky & earth.
That's very strange as the initial pickup on most EVs, say 0-40/60 Km will be very fast or at least the feeling is very different. I drove the XC40 in EV and was pretty impressed and was almost comparing it with 8 cylinder BMW

Can you take another test drive for we folks who are on edge of booking one, what I have heard is that Kia has around 100 units to sell for this year for our market.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's very strange as the initial pickup on most EVs, say 0-40/60 Km will be very fast or at least the feeling is very different. I drove the XC40 in EV and was pretty impressed and was almost comparing it with 8 cylinder BMW

Can you take another test drive for we folks who are on edge of booking one, what I have heard is that Kia has around 100 units to sell for this year for our market.
Acceleration is good for sure but, like I mentioned it's not a WOW factor like a Tesla Model 3 Performance.

For that matter, acceleration feel of these performance EV's (Polestar and EV6 GTL) is comparable or lesser than a Tesla Model 3 Long Range for sake of Apple's to Apple's comparison.

Not sure if you have ever driven the BMW's B58 engine. It's almost like an EV with respect to acceleration. Zero turbo lag and thing takes off like a rocket in Sports + mode.
Old 20th May 2022, 21:23   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not sure if you have ever driven the BMW's B58 engine. It's almost like an EV with respect to acceleration.
I do, it's on my 740Li but in a different tune.

But my other drive was S63 Maybe I have got old and tastes changed
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 23:14   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I have got old and tastes changed

That is the biggest problem. We at Team-BHP should never get old.

I believe in going the opposite direction. LOL!

Quote:
I assume B58 and GEN 1 engine and in luxury barge like that it would be tuned very differently and weight will also add to equation.

All said and done, please drive EV's and make your decision.

Bottom line, for pure acceleration, my benchmark for EV performance is a Tesla Model 3 Performance (not even bringing Tesla Model S Plaid into equation) and these cars (Polestar 2 and EVGTL) are not there yet.
Old 20th May 2022, 23:38   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But my other drive was S63 Maybe I have got old and tastes changed
I'm pretty sure you are not getting that old considering you just sold your M5 (with the S63 4.4L V8 twin turbo) and if I remember correctly waiting for your M4 to arrive

The 40i engine for you is commuter for your needs
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 07:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All said and done, please drive EV's and make your decision.
The problem is the lack of options here and long deliveries. I have been assured early delivery of the Kia if booked ASAP.

Quote:
Bottom line, for pure acceleration, my benchmark for EV performance is a Tesla Model 3 Performance (not even bringing Tesla Model S Plaid into equation) and these cars (Polestar 2 and EVGTL) are not there yet.
Sometimes, we are not able to make it out the first time and also, the trim of the available vehicle matters. Like, I got a chance to check the Taycan recently and was disappointed. In most premium vehicles, my expectations are luxurious interiors as well the speed and handling. That particular Taycan was super basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
if I remember correctly waiting for your M4 to arrive
No M4 for sure . The natural upgrade will be a 911 but the base variants are slower than M5 and I am now used to AWD. Turbo-S is what will be a good upgrade but I cannot afford it with those Porsche paid options.

Back on the topic, the dealer has asked to pay Rs 3 lac refundable deposit and get in the queue. I am expecting a price of around Rs 60 lac for the AWD. With any European brand, this or more would have been an easy decision. And since, I tend to change my cars fast, any views about the resale prices, say a Year later
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 21:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
[b][u]

I would buy the Tesla Model 3 or Model Y Performance with my eyes closed. But, I seriously want to see if there is anyone out there who is even remotely close to a Tesla.

Price is quoted for over MSRP and is coming to $67,000 and payments are $1200/month with $5000 downpayment and a waiting of 6-12 weeks.

I won't be surprised if there are folks out there who are paying for it. But, this is beyond my budget. Sigh !!

Ridiculous pricing for a Kia. !!!
I've owned a Tesla Model Y Long-range AWD 20"s for almost 2 years and I can tell you it's the worst riding and handling car I've owned in my life. The interior is so cheap that it belongs in a $20k eco box. Range is often 25-30% lower than the quoted 300 miles. The thing is fast, spacious and loaded with (mostly useless) tech gimmicks. I'll give you that. Oh and the OEM sound system is pretty good.

MSRP of Kia GT is $57k which you can get $7,500 tax credit. It's hence almost $20k cheaper than Tesla Model Y performance. So the dealer markup is $10k?

Kia EV6 is, in almost everyway, a better car than Model Y. It rides and handles better, will go further on range, is better built internally and externally, reliable and gives you more for money.

I've owned and driven plenty of fancy luxury /sports cars and please do not compare a Tesla to a properly sorted car. They're not there yet.

Here's the Edmunds take on their long term vehicle and I 100% agree with it.

https://www.edmunds.com/amp/car-news...20k-miles.html
inwester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 20:03   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes, we are not able to make it out the first time and also, the trim of the available vehicle matters. Like, I got a chance to check the Taycan recently and was disappointed. In most premium vehicles, my expectations are luxurious interiors as well the speed and handling. That particular Taycan was super basic
Oh Yeah. When we think of a luxury brand like BMW/Merc or Porsche, the luxury does not come automatically. ....We have to go through a long list of options to make it worth the money we pay. This is what I hate about the "Ala Carte" features of luxury car makers. Like for example, a Mazda they should give it all or nothing.

Ala carte is good but, for a car that costs that much they should not be cheap and keep adding money for every option we choose. I guess we live in a world where nothing is FREE.

Btw, did you book your EV6? When is it coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
I've owned a Tesla Model Y Long-range AWD 20"s for almost 2 years and I can tell you it's the worst riding and handling car I've owned in my life. The interior is so cheap that it belongs in a $20k eco box. Range is often 25-30% lower than the quoted 300 miles. The thing is fast, spacious and loaded with (mostly useless) tech gimmicks. I'll give you that. Oh and the OEM sound system is pretty good.
Hmm. Well, I have not driven the Y recently but, around 2 years ago when it was just released and since it was a brief drive, it was superlative experience. He still owns the car in Philly and loves it to the core. So its' contradictory feedback.

Quote:
MSRP of Kia GT is $57k which you can get $7,500 tax credit. It's hence almost $20k cheaper than Tesla Model Y performance. So the dealer markup is $10k?
Btw, GT hasn't released yet. This is GT Line and I have a full quote for the fully loaded car. It's $59K and after dealership mark up its $67K. Not sure about the tax credit as I live in WA state and it's not as high as in California.

Quote:
Kia EV6 is, in almost everyway, a better car than Model Y. It rides and handles better, will go further on range, is better built internally and externally, reliable and gives you more for money.
It's indeed a nice car but, interiors look bit flashy and not classy like Tesla purely from a cosmetic point of view.

I have already decided to do an extensive test drive of both EV6 and Polestar 2.

Quote:
I've owned and driven plenty of fancy luxury /sports cars and please do not compare a Tesla to a properly sorted car. They're not there yet.

Here's the Edmunds take on their long term vehicle and I 100% agree with it.

https://www.edmunds.com/amp/car-news...20k-miles.html
It's just one of the perspective out there. There are plenty of satisfactory reviews as well with minor dings on quality.
Old 30th May 2022, 12:18   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
did you book your EV6? When is it coming
No, I did not. Even though the dealer offered a full refund, I am not yet to plonk so much on Kia. As I mentioned previously, I was not comfortable sitting in the driver's seat during my short visit to the dealership. The overall scene at the dealership was more like a flea market. I don’t think present Kia dealerships can sell such premium products in larger numbers. Maybe due to this reason only, Kia has given the EV6 only to selective dealerships.

Straight-line acceleration is one thing and the real world driving dynamics another. I will better get an i4 over this. But currently, BMW has not promised any timelines.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th May 2022 at 12:20.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 22:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, I did not. Even though the dealer offered a full refund, I am not yet to plonk so much on Kia.
Interesting. I thought it drove well but, interiors in some places is not high-end and subtle.

I'm waiting for EV6 GT to be released to see how it drives. 576 horses should make some difference to the acceleration.

Btw, I signed up for this test drive. Let's see when it happens. What are your thoughts on this one?

I love the brand per se as they are like Mazda. Give more than money's worth with respect to features and luxury.

Kia launches EV faster than Porsche’s Taycan 4S-img_1679.png
Old 9th June 2022, 03:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What are your thoughts on this one?

I love the brand per se as they are like Mazda. Give more than money's worth with respect to features and luxury.
Seen mostly at Airports, you are correct, these things are loaded to the brim. But, I haven’t went inside a dealership yet Do update with your experience. Am sure they will treat you well.

Did you got a chance to check the iX? if you can find one, and are ok with SUV, it’s one good EV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks