Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 15:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla Model 3 becomes the world's best-selling premium sedan

The Tesla Model 3 has become the best-selling premium sedan in the world during Q1 2021.

Tesla Model 3 becomes the world's best-selling premium sedan-teslamodel3-1.jpg

The company recently released its sales performance figures for the first quarter of 2021. According to this report, the sales figures of the Model 3 is said to have crossed a little over 120,000 units globally. This is said to be higher than models such as the BMW 3 Series and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class (E-Class outsells the C-Class).

Tesla Model 3 becomes the world's best-selling premium sedan-teslamodel3sales.jpg

The increase in sales of the Model 3 is said to be mainly due to their export operation from China. Tesla confirmed that their Shanghai Gigafactory ramped up production of the Model 3 during the second half of last year, which gave a significant push to its deliveries. The Tesla Model 3 manufactured at the Shanghai factory is exported to Europe and APAC.

Tesla Model 3 becomes the world's best-selling premium sedan-teslamodel3-3.jpg

Tesla will soon be entering the Indian market, having already registered its subsidiary 'Tesla India Motors & Energy Pvt. Ltd.' in Bengaluru, Karnataka. The company will be headquartered in Mumbai, with its Indian operations said to commence later this year.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2021 at 11:25.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 21:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model 3 becomes the world's best-selling premium sedan

How many countries does Tesla sell their cars? It's indeed an achievement given their limited market.

But it's a bit rich saying that Tesla is "world's" best luxury sedan. Something akin to NFL being the world's best American football league.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 23:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
But it's a bit rich saying that Tesla is "world's" best luxury sedan. Something akin to NFL being the world's best American football league.

Marketing.

Just like how Apple compared it’s watch to that of Rolex in terms of sales. In this case at least the price is comparable although the quality is not. They want to establish that Tesla is the new premium.

I would like to make a note, however. The main customer base of Tesla is budget conscious Honda/Toyota users who wants to move to premium segment. Their immediate choice would have been a 3 series. No wonder Tesla want to compare against it.
Pontiac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:18   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
This is said to be higher than models such as the BMW 3 Series and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class.
The Model 3 is more of a C-Class competitor than the E-Class. And even there, it simply cannot match the quality & premium quality of the C-Class. That said, between the two, I would definitely buy the Model 3 . Comments based on living with a Model 3 for a fortnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
It's indeed an achievement given their limited market.
You can say that again. It's equally remarkable that the Model S has outsold the mighty S-Class some years in the USA.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

I am not surprised, and the Model 3 is indeed one of my favourite sedan. Though the word premium maybe debatable when compared with the likes of a 3-series, Tesla somehow made that minimalist cabin fashionable. Its an EV avalanche now, but I feel the other brands will have some catch-up to do, especially to match Tesla’s robust charging infrastructure.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think they have taken the price point and bunched it with premium sedans

It stands on its own and being a EV is little costlier. This brings it on par with other premium sedans on price.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 15:52   #7
BHPian

I always have to do a double take when I see Tesla's being considered premium cars. I suppose it's symbolic of what the brand represents, the nexus or should I actually say the crossover point at which technology of the electronic and digital kind (rather than mechanical) overtook the primacy of the usual barometers for something feeling plush. To me it's the same analogy as someone comparing say an Apple Watch to let's say an entry level Tag Heuer chrono or something of that ilk. They're only really similar in price I suppose because they're both so very different in their approach to making a nice watch. Same for Tesla beating out the established German marques here. There's just so much tech in Tesla's that there's no denying the many thousands of engineering hours involved but you just always feel that they phoned it in with some of the more mundane things that make a car. A Tesla interior to me has the same effect as looking at the blank grey watch face of a smart watch compared to a chronograph watch face, to continue with that watch analogy.

All that being said, promising stuff from Tesla. Super curious to see how they fare now that legacy OEMs are starting to have their freshman EV slates out to market, more so when those legacy OEMs put their revised sophomore efforts out. It'll be fascinating to see how the bullish outlook on Tesla pans out in actuality.
ads11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 00:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post

All that being said, promising stuff from Tesla. Super curious to see how they fare now that legacy OEMs are starting to have their freshman EV slates out to market, more so when those legacy OEMs put their revised sophomore efforts out. It'll be fascinating to see how the bullish outlook on Tesla pans out in actuality.
VW's id.4 is about the same price as the model Y with much lower performance numbers. Tesla, as things stand today, is beating competition in efficiency and performance by a country mile. Even the Taycan can't compete with Tesla in terms of battery efficiency. The Mustang Mach E also lags in price/performance. I have no doubt the upcoming german electric cars will also be at least 5 years behind Tesla. Having said that, even the VW will have better build quality than Tesla. Interesting times.
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 01:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

What is Tesla’s India set up going to be like? CKD equivalent, full on manufacturing, or simply an importing subsidiary?

Any idea what price point a Model 3 would target here? Personally, I feel if they can come in at 50-60 lakh on road price, they will make a massive impact. It will have the desirability quotient enough for people to plonk cash without feeling stupid in the bargain as to why they’re not buying something more conventional instead which can go any distance sans any “range anxiety”. Anything higher and its basically finding place only in multiple luxury car garages where they want to have at least one Tesla (for the cool quotient factor or who can afford one luxury car in the house with limitations) - and frankly there’s perhaps no dearth of that segment of buyers either.

I suspect / fear though they might just come at a halo pricing like 75 - 80L on road, in which case, at least for the foreseeable future, my money in that range would always go to a more conventional BMW / Mercedes or even Lexus if I wanted green credentials. But not a 100% EV, however cool it seems.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how much "Manufacturer X is 5 years behind Tesla" is going to really matter in the long run. Just like in ICE cars, some technical aspects will be interesting and a priority to enthusiasts, but the larger public may have different priorities.

One example is the Audi e-tron, which is not even a ground-up EV. From a EV technology standpoint, it has nothing over the Tesla Model X. Still, in the most "advanced" EV market of Norway, it has sold more copies since launch than Model X since its launch (a couple of years earlier). Within this year, it could even outsell the Model S which has been on sale for longer.

Admittedly, the comparison is not entirely fair as now when the demand for EVs is expanding, Tesla is prioritizing manufacturing of Model 3/Y over S/X. But then that's also a factor in the Model 3 outselling other cars.
Old 30th April 2021, 14:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Similar feelings here when i read the comments above. Tesla model 3 beating a e class is a achievement but it just does not compare to the E. It is a direct competitor to the c class.

The interiors of all Teslas is going with the Minimalistic approach but i would say its a very plain jane or vanilla interior. If am paying 35k i would expect to be pampered and not make it feel like a dentists office.

Lastly the AUDI Suv beating the X and the S has another reason to it. Tesla has finally hit a roadblock which the traditional automakers face frequently. Their S and X designs have run its course and needs a refresh both inside and outside. I do know the S has a refresh coming but time will tell if it is good enough. They seriously are production constrained with the new launches like the Cybertruk, Tesla Semi, Tesla Supercar being designs with one prototype but no sight of launches to their customers.

Amazed to see their achievement in 15 years time! Oldies have to wake up finally.

Maddy
Old 30th April 2021, 16:56   #12

Tesla's sales numbers are indeed incredible, given the size of their market compared to the Germans who sell their cars worldwide. Being in India, I haven't had a taste of Tesla just yet, but, as I understand it, their cars are not at par with the German heavyweights in terms of quality and fit and finish.

However, I don't think Tesla targets car buyers who are used the to that quality that Mercedes, BMW or Audi offer. It seems their primary customer base is young, environmentally conscious millennials, who are image conscious and with whom the car being green/ environmentally friendly is a major factor. Being first time car buyers or at least first time premium car buyers, they aren't used to and hence don't expect or fault Tesla for its comparatively lower quality and fit and finish. Plus, at least in Europe and the US, their super charger network has huge appeal. Any other EV is far less practical and hence a Tesla is the only "real" EV option. Especially for a person who owns only one car and for whom their EV isn't a second or third car.

I do think this would be quite different in India. For starters, they don't have a super charger network established here. Their cars are going to be premium offerings and hence out of reach for most Indian car buyers. And given that the price point will be comparable to German rivals, I do think Indian buyers would be more vary of the difference in quality. I think initially Tesla in India would appeal to those who have been closely following the brand and are eager to get their hands on one. Plus the well heeled, techie, environmentally conscious Indians. I don't think this market will command huge volumes, but of course it remains to be seen how Tesla positions itself in India and a lot would depend on that.
Old 30th April 2021, 17:34   #13
BHPian

Given a choice I'd definitely get an EV (preferably a Tesla) over almost all of its ICE competitors. Tesla for one has incredible infrastructure so the most common problem of owning an EV is given a full stop there itself. Then there's a problem of long term maintenance of all these German cars and you naturally start diverting away from them. I get it, as a petrolhead Mercedes,BMW, Audi,JLR are desirable but financially a Tesla would make a ton of sense. There are Teslas which have done more than 300k kilometres without a battery change and still retain about 85-90% capacity of their batteries. I can see myself holding onto such a car for a decade easily.
Old 26th August 2021, 13:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla Model 3 Surprisingly Disappoints In KNCAP Safety Results, Gets 4 star rating, hit too many bicycles:

Tesla Model 3 becomes the world's best-selling premium sedan-1488x0_1_autohomecar__chsfvmencpuaqhrxaauqq55fzni322.jpg

Quote:
South Korean KNCAP (Korea New Car Assessment Program), the Tesla Model 3 noted an overall score of 83.3 points, which should translate into Level 1 (an equivalent to 5 stars). However, due to the disappointing 3-star results in pedestrian safety and accident prevention safety categories, the overall score is Level 2 (an equivalent to 4 stars).
Quote:
in the case of active safety features, it seems that Tesla hit too many pedestrians and bicycles. The last test shown in the video was especially interesting, as Tesla hit bicycles at all three speeds (20, 25 and 40 km/h).

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th August 2021 at 13:53.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 12:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

The Tesla Model 3 outsold every other car in the UK in September 2021 with 6,879 cars delivered.

Tesla Model 3 becomes the world's best-selling premium sedan-smartselect_20211006124141_chrome.jpg

Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks