Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2021, 13:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors sold 1000+ electric cars in August '21

First mover advantage has worked for them and this will only grow with the addition of tigor ev at a cheaper price point and with a similar range as the Nexon ev.
Even though I am happy with their progress I am concerned that mg , tata and Mahindra will introduce india to the world of EVs and even after all that in 2025 when maruti is planning to introduce an ev they will get a really bad one and still be able to steal all the customers. Similar to the netflix and Disney hotstar situation .
aansh singhania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 13:34   #17
BHPian

This is an amazing achievement both for Tata Motors as well as the citizens who are actually buying the cars despite skeletal charging network infrastructure yet from the government. This shows supreme confidence in the product reliability and acceptability towards the ease of using, charging and maintaining an EV in a country like India. This is a very positive development towards sustainable future of EVs in India.
Old 5th September 2021, 00:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
This is an amazing achievement both for Tata Motors as well as the citizens who are actually buying the cars despite skeletal charging network infrastructure yet from the government. This shows supreme confidence in the product reliability and acceptability towards the ease of using, charging and maintaining an EV in a country like India. This is a very positive development towards sustainable future of EVs in India.
I believe its not the government's responsibility to set up chargers for consumers but auto companies and other private players to invest in. Government job is to make policies which are already in place. Who would have bought a Tesla if the company would have said that buy my car but ask government for charging stations.

In fact if it wasn't for VW's Dieselgate scandal, the US government wouldn't have been able to setup half the chargers that they were able to do as part of $2 billion settlement with VW under which they were asked to deploy charging stations in the US now known as Electrify America. Funny thing Ford, Hyundai, VW and other brands are dependent on Electrify America chargers to sell their electric cars.

We should push auto companies and other private players to develop charging infrastructure in our country not be dependent on government for everything.
officer416 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 12:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
First mover advantage has worked for them.

maruti is planning to introduce an ev steal all the customers. Similar to the netflix and Disney hotstar situation .
Tata has definitely upped the game.

The design language
The safety aspects
The VFM aspect

The only place where Tata is left in lurch is the After Sales Service department.

It's a bigger social engineering challenge than the engineering challenge they have very successfully overcome.

Once that happens, Tata can take on the world.

They need a few high end and powerful EVs likes of Harrier/Safari with higher range/big battery pack and basically all of the lower portfolio.

Luxury 4WD/AWD EVs for the elites. Cars are aspirational value proposition and Tesla has exploited that psychology.

That Tesla would come to India sooner or later probably without a functional autopilot. But then Tata should have already conquered that segment.

And all this is not possible with first and the foremost excellent After Sales Service and charging infrastructure in and around roadside restaurant chains. 90% of the people take a tea/coffee break and 99% will take a breakfast/ lunch break during a long drive.

They should also have a provision to use the vehicle as a power source - something like Tesla wall for emergency- such moves might add to value proposition without much expenditure involved.

If Tata fails to challenge the Japanese /Korean brands for supremacy - Yes they need to take it as a challenge and train the staff. If they don't act now, then I'm sorry to say that Maruti indeed would steal the show in 2025.

And I know, guys from all the brands would be going through bhp threads, but only the ones with insight implements the needful and they indeed are successful.

Automotive sector is a business of passion and passionate alone have been successful. Sidharth lal of Royal Enfield is one such icon and living example that automotive sector indeed is a business of passion and how to up the game. Engineering part is all success, but the true success comes when customer points to the brand for recommendation and employees feel that they have Pride for the marque.

Last edited by adityadeva : 5th September 2021 at 12:47.
adityadeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 07:49   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
However I would really be a concerned person if someone known to me has to go to all the suffering Dr Bharat Patodiya from Hyderabad had endured after buying a Nexon EV 2 months ago. I really wish someone from Tata Motors really come forward to help him.
It really sucks, but when you buy the first-generation of a technology that is new even to its maker, bugs & problems are a given. This is true of any new tech. If you want something reliable, buy a tried & tested tech (ICE engine). If you want to be an early adopter of a new tech, you are a beta tester for the company.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 13:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
Even though I am happy with their progress I am concerned that mg , tata and Mahindra will introduce india to the world of EVs and even after all that in 2025 when maruti is planning to introduce an ev they will get a really bad one and still be able to steal all the customers. Similar to the netflix and Disney hotstar situation .
While I have been very vocal about how disappointing Maruti has been as India's preeminent car manufacturer, I could go on a louder rant about Mahindra and EVs! What a disappointment.

Would anyone believe that once upon a time Reva was the world's largest EV maker. While they had little impact in India, Reva was exporting cars and had a noticeable presence in most European cities.

Then Mahindra bought them and I thought wow, with Reva's first mover advantage and Mahindras engineering prowess....this will be big!

All they have right now is a rebadged Rivian sports car sold as a Pininfarina!

I don't understand what exactly is Mahindra waiting for.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 23:30   #22
BHPian

Sailesh Chandra, President of Tata Motors PV division, tells Economic Times that currently, the company is receiving 3000-3500 monthly bookings for EVs whereas it can only manufacture 1000 odd units.

Quote:
With just two green products right now (Nexon and Tigor EVs), we are getting bookings of 3,000-3,500 units per month. However, we are able to supply only around 1,000 units
At this rate, Tata Motors has already hit 10% of its sales volume ( approx 30000 a month) with EVs, and looks it is on its way to achieving a quarter of its sales from EV by 2025.

He also confirmed to Times of India the company will invest 15000 crores in the development of 10 new EVs having a mix of cars and SUVs and also electric-only/born electric vehicles.

Thanks,
Debrup
rupdeb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 10:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

This year Tesla is on track to deliver a million EVs at 30% + margins. In our country, Tata is sitting pleased with it's 1k EV monthly sales while the remaining Indian makers are ostriches with their heads in the sand! This is a sad scenario.

Tesla's success is a kick in the midsection of the traditional IC engine manufacturing business model, sell cars at wafer thin margins, aim for volumes and hopefully make money from after sales business.

In the EV business one either goes all in and aims for scale and cost reduction or simply retain a limited loss making EV portfolio. Tesla swam against the tide and raking in the moolah now.

The ones who really understands this are the chinese automakers and government. They are poised to dominate the EV space. I'm afraid if the Indian manufacturers continue like this, they'll soon give up the Indian EV space to the chinese as well.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 18:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
Sailesh Chandra, President of Tata Motors PV division, tells Economic Times that currently, the company is receiving 3000-3500 monthly bookings for EVs whereas it can only manufacture 1000 odd units.

At this rate, Tata Motors has already hit 10% of its sales volume ( approx 30000 a month) with EVs, and looks it is on its way to achieving a quarter of its sales from EV by 2025.

He also confirmed to Times of India the company will invest 15000 crores in the development of 10 new EVs having a mix of cars and SUVs and also electric-only/born electric vehicles.

Thanks,
Debrup
A clear demand with lack of supply — and companies still insist that “there’s no demand for EVs”, well if there isn’t, do they imply Tata is lying? I doubt.

There has always been a clear demand and the kind of exponential growth in deliveries was initially put on the MH blockage due to subsidy where cars were sitting, waiting for subsidy sanctioning.

Now it’s clear there actually is strong demand. The companies who are not starting EV sales are just digging their own graves for Chinese manufacturers to lower them into it. Every other day, the BYD thread has activity.

I find myself in this situation too. We finally decided to lay to rest, our Hyundai Eon Era+ LPG for Nexon EV XZ+ (mom still has a long commute everyday, almost 50km daily) booked in Navratri but I don’t expect delivery before 2022 with the kind of disparity in production and demand I see here.

Any idea if the Nexon EV is slated for facelift in this meantime? Saw a video on another thread and leaks of 136BHP motor on Nexon EV couple months earlier.
Shresth_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 09:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

3500 Xpress-T order from BluSmart, Delhi

Tata Motors has entered into a special agreement with BluSmart, the main company that provides electric taxi service in Delhi-NCR. According to the company's statement, Tata will supply 3,500 Xpres-T EV to Motors BluSmart under the agreement. Earlier, BluSmart has also signed an agreement with Reliance Industries to set up a large-scale electric vehicle charging station in Delhi-NCR.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 14:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Tata has sold 1586 EVs in October 2021. Tata's monthly sales releases divides up domestic passenger car sales into ICE and EV, however does not give the model breakup.

https://www.tatamotors.com/press/tat...ver-last-year/
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 17:16   #27

I have visited to that very showroom last year to check the Nexon. Understand that anyone can get a lemon car and I have seen how tata is quick to respond with a standard message on social media saying please share number and we will respond but it never reaches any logical conclusion. This video is both sad and a reminder that we should be vocal for local but not in this manner. I remember during test drive of nexon 5-6 sales advisors ganged up and told me the nexon petrol does not have poor NVH but we have given a nice Harmon music system which once you will play you will not listen to the engine noise and that was that for me. I am sure Dr Bharatji was proven wrong saying this is in every car sir and we will check. It pains me why tata will not replace/recall the vehicle and repair it once and for all.
Old 1st December 2021, 18:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Though miniscule in numbers, TATA motors continue to sell 1000+ EV's monthly.

Tata sold 1,751 Passenger EVs in Nov'21 and recorded its all-time highest monthly electric sales volume.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  21.4 KB

Source: Auto Punditz

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks