Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2021, 16:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Power to set up EV chargers at Lodha Group's residential & commercial projects

Real estate developer Lodha Group, has partnered with Tata Power to set up EV chargers at residential and commercial projects across Mumbai and Pune.

Tata Power to set up EV chargers at Lodha Group's residential & commercial projects-tatapower.jpg

Under the partnership, Tata Power will install EV charging stations at Lodha developments. These will be accessible to all Lodha residents and visitors. EV owners will be able to monitor the charging status remotely and make payments online via the EZ Charge mobile application. Tata Power will also provide maintenance support.

Tata Power has an expansive network of over 5,000 home chargers and over 600 public chargers in more than 120 cities in India. The company has also set up EV chargers at HPCL petrol bunks.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 12th September 2021 at 16:26.
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 17:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Power to set up EV chargers at Lodha Group's residential & commercial projects

This is a great initiative and outreach by Tata. They are ensuring both EV tech and power availability to customers. For those who live in condominiums, access to power at parking is not easily available. If ease of charging can be offered in my condominium, I would seriously look at buying second vehicle as an EV.
Old 12th September 2021, 17:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Power to set up EV chargers at Lodha Group's residential & commercial projects

It’s a positive move. But the thing to note is that these Tata Power chargers work at 25kw! That is too slow, and will become a major bottleneck once EVs become mainstream. Tata Power is simply keeping the Nexon EV and its limited charging abilities as a benchmark and going ahead. This new infrastructure that is being created should be future proof. For anything better than the Nexon EV, even the current products can charge at least twice as fast.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th September 2021 at 18:07.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:16   #4
BHPian

While Im a big fan of the Tata network, I really hope we quickly upgrade to 100kW+ chargers soon. Also, Tata, please stop selling cars with max charging speed of only 25kW. All these Nexons and Tigors will become a big headache later.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tata and other Energy companies should start tapping the free available space in Apartment complexes.

They could set up Charging points in the Guest/Free parking Slots.
It will be a means to get additional revenue at a lower investment.
Old 13th September 2021, 11:58   #6
BHPian

Even though I am happy with the initiatives that Tata is taking, I am not sure if associating with Lodha is a good thing.

Slightly OT:
Just hear too much of complaints and scams been highlighted. (Just google/youtube it)

When we associating with such brand knowingly/unknowingly you are approving of such scams.

Eg:

Last edited by SideView : 13th September 2021 at 11:59. Reason: Linking
Old 13th September 2021, 13:43   #7
BHPian

I am a bit confused. Is this going to be an addition to the EV owners charger in their own parking or is it that the owner is going to be forced to use the tata power charger and not allowed to install one?

Whenever I get my own EV there is no way I am going to be reliant on a third party charger. The biggest advantage of the EV is that you charge at your own home. Park it connect it to the plug point and then forget about it until the next time you take the car out at full charge is how I envisage using my EV.
Old 13th September 2021, 14:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I am a bit confused. Is this going to be an addition to the EV owners charger in their own parking or is it that the owner is going to be forced to use the tata power charger and not allowed to install one?

Whenever I get my own EV there is no way I am going to be reliant on a third party charger. The biggest advantage of the EV is that you charge at your own home. Park it connect it to the plug point and then forget about it until the next time you take the car out at full charge is how I envisage using my EV.
The 3.2kW AC charger (which plugs into 15A socket) is standard equipment (like spare wheel) which comes with the Nexon EV (and tigor ev)

I’m pretty sure it’ll stay that way. The point of this move is to allow EV users to DC fast charge in very little amount of time (1h@25kW for 20-80% vs 6h@3.2kW for 20-80%)

Some apartments’ RWA don’t co operate with EV owners because they have some weird assumptions about EVs (due to lack of awareness, like they catch fire some other excuse which in reality is not a problem)

So for them, it’s an option which will be available as default even if their society folk are uncooperative with EV owners.
Shresth_EV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 06:58   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post

Some apartments’ RWA don’t co operate with EV owners because they have some weird assumptions about EVs (due to lack of awareness, like they catch fire some other excuse which in reality is not a problem)
I think that is oversimplifying a genuine concern. Mass scale wiring and safe earthing etc are definitely an integral aspect of the safety and integrity of any charging solution in your parking - its not something one can just dismiss. In very large complexes, it may not be possible to run your personal meter to each of your individual parking. It can be quite chaotic if this is left to individuals. Just as an example, I live in a 500 apartment complex, have three parkings spread over two separate underground levels, and my personal meter is on the 16th floor (IIRC) of the building.

For a building like ours, I would imagine that you would need a third party supplier or vendor to provide a charging infrastructure solution which can be on a “reasonable” pay per use basis. As long as this is in the ballpark (even with a small premium for the service provided) of my personal electricity meter consumption I am not fussed.

I would imagine for your residence, the solution should ideally be mostly comprising of fast and slow AC with very few (perhaps none) DC chargers. I believe DC chargers are much more relevant in public spaces and specially highways, where people need to cover long distances, get a charge, and move on. For daily city usage, overnight charging through a slow / fast AC charge is ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post

As mentioned above, this may not always be feasible, depending on the size ‘ scale of the building - also to some extent, the format of the parking lot within the building.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 09:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think that is oversimplifying a genuine concern. Mass scale wiring and safe earthing etc are definitely an integral aspect of the safety and integrity of any charging solution in your parking - its not something one can just dismiss. In very large complexes, it may not be possible to run your personal meter to each of your individual parking. It can be quite chaotic if this is left to individuals. Just as an example, I live in a 500 apartment complex, have three parkings spread over two separate underground levels, and my personal meter is on the 16th floor (IIRC) of the building.
Totally agree. Given that I learnt in this forum that slow charging is the best way to charge EVs, owners of EVs will want slow charging points in their parking slot. How RWAs will enable this is the key question. Fast charging all the times is not the solution. Wiring and ensuring safety for all the charging points will be a big challenge. Especially where covered car parking is not available.

Regards,
lsjey

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks