Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2021, 22:56   #1
anb
BHPian

Issues & niggles with the Tata Nexon EV

A few very serious quality issues of Nexon EV were mentioned in the Malayalam YouTube channel Talking Cars owned by Bhpians Vivek and JayDev.

1. D to N Problem

Car shifts from D to N while running as a fail-safe measure. It’s not possible to change to D after D to N problem.
Company solution :
Nexon EV should be charged till 100% SOC and not to be stopped at 80 or 90%. Some owners were under the impression that their battery cycles would reduce if they charged regularly to 100%. so as a first step instructions were given to charge to 100% and once in 2-3 weeks take the SOC to lower than 20% and then charge to 100% to ensure BMS gets updated and balances the cells in a proper manner.
Also, a Software update was planned so that when the D to N happens, it would allow users to drive the car till their homes or a safer location and not get stranded suddenly on a highway or a secluded location..

https://pluginindia.freeforums.net/t...ta-nexon-stall

2. SOC Dropping Regularly

There is team-bhp thread running on this issue. The charge of the battery suddenly drops in a matter of seconds.

Solution 1: In one case company downgraded the BMS software,

Solution 2. In another case company told that the recent update had done something to the battery. Speaking more technically, the cell voltage must be similar. The maximum and minimum cell voltage must be above of 3V; however, in this case maximum cell voltage was 3.3V and minimum was 1.2V. This resulted in battery imbalance. They have replaced the battery pack completely. However, the battery pack originally was from Sep2020. The replaced one is now from May2020 and REFURBISHED.

https://pluginindia.freeforums.net/t...ping-regularly

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...y-problem.html (Tata Nexon EV | Battery Problem)

Issues & niggles with the Tata Nexon EV-soc-drop.jpg
Name:  Associate drop.jpg
Views: 3683
Size:  39.2 KB

3. Fast charger getting stuck

Fast charger gets stuck and the owner has to access a release line below front wheel arch to release the charger.

4. Failure of mounts of electric motor in some cars

Mount of Motor fails and motor moves down.

Solution : An external black colour mount is provided as a temporary solution

Name:  mount 3.jpg
Views: 3686
Size:  51.9 KB
Attached Thumbnails
Issues & niggles with the Tata Nexon EV-mount2.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by anb : 24th September 2021 at 23:19.
anb is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 07:58   #2
BHPian

re: Issues & niggles with the Tata Nexon EV

All valid and serious failures but there are plenty of other issues effecting there Nexon Ev as well which are well documented on the owners group.

5) link rod replacement is required in a lot of vehicles

6) vehicle earthing fault causing the slow charger to show connected but not charging

7) boot lock failure is another one. Perhaps a Nexon wide issue rather than a EV specific failure

All of these issues and of course the ones mentioned above require SC visits and often it’s a battle against the customer and the SC advisor to try and prove the fault as they simply refuse to accept anything is wrong even if it’s shown to them.

My vehicle for example has been in and out at Durga Motors GOA SC for a week now coming up to 10 days and they keep sending it back without fixing any of the issues.
zandot is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 16:37   #3
BHPian

re: Issues & niggles with the Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post

6) vehicle earthing fault causing the slow charger to show connected but not charging.
This happens to me when the voltage is low from the grid. Especially during night time when I guess grid is under load. The car starts charging in early hours automatically,. Till that time it shows connected but doesn't charge.
officer416 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 17:29   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Issues & niggles with the Tata Nexon EV

While still no excuse, it is a brand new technology, freshly baked and a totally new area for Tata Motors (along with most other carmakers). Hyundai faced many frustrating situations with the Kona, Audi struggled with the E-Tron in the early months & Tesla - the big daddy of them EVs - also has been through several teething issues.

If you are an early adopter buying v1 of a brand-new technology, be prepared to become an unofficial beta tester. Don't want that? Wait for 5 years or generation 2 / 3 of the tech.
GTO is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 19:02   #5
BHPian

The enthusiasm the Nexon EV has created among Indians for EV have increased the level of expectations. As GTO pointed out, certainly there will be teething issues for a completely new tech. It is some people (I am one of them) who would rather wait out till the next gens of most first gen EVs are out. Since many of us would be buying the vehicle as a primary and single family vehicle, it is rather difficult to live with frequent niggles. But I’m sure Tata will sort these out in a year or couple of years time.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post
All valid and serious failures but there are plenty of other issues effecting there Nexon Ev as well which are well documented on the owners group.

5) link rod replacement is required in a lot of vehicles

6) vehicle earthing fault causing the slow charger to show connected but not charging

7) boot lock failure is another one. Perhaps a Nexon wide issue rather than a EV specific failure

All of these issues and of course the ones mentioned above require SC visits and often it’s a battle against the customer and the SC advisor to try and prove the fault as they simply refuse to accept anything is wrong even if it’s shown to them.

My vehicle for example has been in and out at Durga Motors GOA SC for a week now coming up to 10 days and they keep sending it back without fixing any of the issues.
Talk to area TSM if you need escalation. PM me if you need number.
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:38   #7
BHPian

Agree with GTO. These issues are to be expected on a generation 1 technology. Touch wood so far my ownership experience of a Nexon EV has been trouble free and I absolutely love the experience of driving a EV. Driving is actually very relaxing with such next to no noise. On a side note, the Nexon EV owners group on whatsapp are actually very active and very good at helping owners when they run into issues.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 21:40   #8
BHPian

Tata's regularly do R&D after releasing cars in the market right from the Gen 1 Indica. And still common people get fooled by them. I agree that other car manufacturers also face issues when new technology is being introduced. But Tata's are special in that even after 2nd or 3rd iterations also problems don't get fixed.

My heart goes out to the enthusiastic people who wanted to support EV technology. One needs to watch and wait and see how Tata's handle these glitches. They need to fully fix and make the ownership experience for the EV customers as great as possible. I hope that Tata's do this diligently.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 11:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Talk to area TSM if you need escalation. PM me if you need number.
Hi yes can you pls send me the number. For the life of me can’t figure out how to send a DM from my
Mobile browser as currently no access to a desktop.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydealhunter View Post
Agree with GTO. These issues are to be expected on a generation 1 technology. Touch wood so far my ownership experience of a Nexon EV has been trouble free and I absolutely love the experience of driving a EV. Driving is actually very relaxing with such next to no noise. On a side note, the Nexon EV owners group on whatsapp are actually very active and very good at helping owners when they run into issues.
As an early adopter myself.. It’s not the issues popping up that are the worry or even the complaint.

It’s the complete lack of care and almost disdain at having to do some work shown by most of Tata Service centre staff and the general attitude of the customer is always wrong and doesn’t deserve their issues rectified that is disappointing.

Hopefully you don’t have any issues come up with your new vehicle. I too had enjoyed a wonderful 15000km relatively trouble free. Now my vehicle spends more time at the SC then at home.
zandot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:12   #10
BANNED

Can't say I am surprised. It's TATA being TATA and now they have also contracted the Lucas Industries bug from JLR.

Jokes aside, TaMo has tired to retrofit an ICE platform for EV and probably didn't do enough testing before rushing to the market hoping to make a mark in the emerging EV segment before its too late. 'Agile' might work for TCS but it won't work for TaMo.
Electromotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:46   #11
BHPian

Mods anyway we can add a poll to this post so members with the Nexon ev can vote on the problems they have had?

I am all for bashing a car maker for not looking after interests of its consumers but we should have numbers to substantiate it. I would for one be curious to see what kind of numbers we are looking at even if its a small subset of users that is TeamBHP users.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:47   #12
BHPian

I wonder if it is due to the myopic view of the product manager or designer that came up with the specifications of expecting users to charge to a 100% all the time. I was reading a Kona owner’s long drive through Tamil Nadu and he was cribbing about a Nexon owner wanting to charge to a 100% on a fast charger. It appears that the BMS is basic and doesn’t handle real world charging and usage scenarios. This was the same problem that we faced on the Mahindra E2O. I hope Tata gets their act straight and makes the BMS handle non ideal real world scenarios soon.
ohaak is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
I wonder if it is due to the myopic view of the product manager or designer that came up with the specifications of expecting users to charge to a 100% all the time. I was reading a Kona owner’s long drive through Tamil Nadu and he was cribbing about a Nexon owner wanting to charge to a 100% on a fast charger. It appears that the BMS is basic and doesn’t handle real world charging and usage scenarios. This was the same problem that we faced on the Mahindra E2O. I hope Tata gets their act straight and makes the BMS handle non ideal real world scenarios soon.
Anand Kulkarni clearly mentioned in the interview with PluginIndia that Nexon EV should be charged to 100% once every fortnight on a slow charger. The car has passive cell balancing, so slow charging to 100% helps with making sure all cells have equal charge. This is not unique to Nexon EV or Tata Motors, but the same is recommended for my Tesla as well. Earlier people use to only charge their Teslas up to 80% on regular basis, but this led to car BMS thinking that the capacity of the battery is limited to 80% and people started to see range drop. Later Elon tweeted that the car needs to be charged to full 100% for the BMS to recognize the total capacity. So no Tata doesn't ask users to charge their cars to 100% all the time. It is a myth that some Non-Nexon EV owners keep floating around.

Secondly, it is common behavior among new EV owners to charge their car to 100% when they go on a trip. The fear of range anxiety makes them go that route, but once they start developing confidence and understand the car properly, they switch over to topping up method. This is not unique to Indians or Nexon EV owners, but people in US use to do the same. In fact even today first time EV owners do the same here in US.
Take it as if you take a trip to Leh-Ladakh-Spiti, people who are new or doesn't want to take the risk will fuel up their cars to full because they are worried that they might not find a fuel pump ahead.
officer416 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 16:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer416 View Post
Anand Kulkarni clearly mentioned in the interview with PluginIndia that Nexon EV should be charged to 100% once every fortnight on a slow charger. The car has passive cell balancing, so slow charging to 100% helps with making sure all cells have equal charge.
It's mentioned in the Nexon EV owners manual that charging to 100% everytime is recommended , not sure if it's to be done while fast charging too.
Attached Thumbnails
Issues & niggles with the Tata Nexon EV-screenshot_20210923222108.png  

damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 16:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
It's mentioned in the Nexon EV owners manual that charging to 100% everytime is recommended , not sure if it's to be done while fast charging too.
Fast Charging to 100% should only be done if you feel you won't be able to make it to your destination with anything less than that. Excessive fast charging degrades the battery much more compared to slow charging.
I will take Anand's word of charging the battery to full 100 with slow charging once every two weeks, unless you need the extra range. They are getting data and based on that they can provide much more updated information. Won't rely on manual that much as it is from early days when Nexon EV was new to public.

They didn't even update the manual of the car for my Dark Edition EV which comes with TPMS. I had to reach out to dealership about it and then they sent me an additional booklet seperate from manual that mentioned the updated features.

Last edited by officer416 : 27th September 2021 at 16:34.
officer416 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks