Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2021, 23:57   #31
bkc
BHPian

Re: Delhi Government bats for 'Electric Retrofitting' for 10+ year old diesel cars

It's not going to be easy at all. So many things to take care, apart from just motor and battery.

1) AC Compressor should run along with electric motor.
2) Brake vacuum pump should run.
3) Power steering motor or hydraulic pump.

Can all these be done by a retrofitting center??
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 08:19   #32
RMN
BHPian

Re: Delhi Government bats for 'Electric Retrofitting' for 10+ year old diesel cars

Wonder how this makes sense when tested & proven aftermarket replacement parts such as suspension or headlight components are considered illegal by the authority due to "safety concerns".
RMN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:41   #33
BANNED

If this is being suggested for vehicles in Delhi, it is coming for all others in a short while folllowing that. With three crore cars and around 50 lakh commercial vehicles on road, it will be roughly a 15,00,000,00,00,000(15 lakh Crores) project if we assume a paltry 5L for a conversion. Does our country have what it takes to spare that much cash? Even if it does (with the GDP of 27 lakh crores), can it afford to hand out that much of it's wealth to China which is the world's sole supplier of lithium batteries?
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 17:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wonder how the conversion will really impact a 4x4 diesel such as my scorpio. I would imagine it wouldn't be a swap out of the fuel system+ engine with batteries and an electric motor only.
Power and torque delivery of an electric motor is linear - whereas the scorpio mhawk 2.2 L diesel has a bell-like curve. That alone should suggest some tinkering needed with the main drive train- as also the transfer case?
Besides the rotating inertia of the drive train would be significant compared to what's usually needed with an electric motor. The chassis, suspension , steering systems are also quite heavy in the scorpio - would the electric heart be able to keep up?
Old 24th November 2021, 20:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Our own forum member stuntfreak has done some brilliant work in this regard.
Yes, I was thinking on the same line. And I hope one day I'll convert my brezza to electric, if possible with stuntfreak.

I hope across the country, state governments give this sensible decision of converting fossil fuel to electric WITH ARAI APPROVED - YES IN FULL CAPITAL LETTERS for nay sayers who worry about roadside mechanics doing it.

I don't care as long as the kit is ARAI approved and the kit manufacturer has authorised a roadside mechanic or a dealer COMPETENT enough to carry out the job.

Making any automobile or infact any industrial product itself is a huge stress on environment (who even cares eh.). If electric conversion can be a solution, why don't government allow it for public. It's good OPTION ( No-one is forcing it down anyone's throat) for those who want to keep their vehicles to themselves. And I see huge reduction in price of battery per KWH in coming years, infact I sort of expect a Moore's law type effect in battery technology in future.

The following link to a youtube video regarding one of the biggest propaganda that EV pollutes more than ICE is busted. That's for nay sayers here on earth.

Counter arguments with proof are most welcome if it betters this.

Old 25th November 2021, 07:00   #36
BHPian

I think this is a great opportunity for manufacturers. If I have an old diesel vehicle and have an option of getting it converted to an EV from my manufacturer I would be more than happy assuming conversion kits from manufacturer come with warranty and factory support and of course are reasonably priced. Of all the manufacturers TATAs seem to be able to make the most of it in the current scenario.
Old 6th December 2021, 20:38   #37
BHPian

My Linea Emotion 1.3, well maintained, is going to cross the date. I thinking of dropping it at my hometown, Ranchi. Unfortunately, it will be used once a quarter, which ultimately will destroy the car. Can't think of selling this beauty at this stage at least.
Anyone has a better suggestion. Retrofitting an Electric motor from anyone who is not the manufacturer of the vehicle is not a good idea it seems. So that option is struck out. Does anyone have a better idea?
Old 7th December 2021, 00:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
Anyone has a better suggestion. Retrofitting an Electric motor from anyone who is not the manufacturer of the vehicle is not a good idea it seems. So that option is struck out. Does anyone have a better idea?
I was just reading an article on Jalopnik, and then remembered your comment here - so the answer is EV Startups. There might be a lot of trial and error but I think if manufacturer or the govt collaborated with the Starups and bring proper rules and regulations about EV conversion it will be a good idea.

Quote:
At the lower end, startups like France’s Transition-One have developed no-frills kits designed to electrify mass-market models like the Fiat 500 and Renault Clio in a few hours for about 8,000 euros. They are betting they can provide drivers with a cheaper and greener road to zero emissions than scrapping their car and buying a new one.
Here is the full article.
Black_Star is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 20:13   #39
BHPian

Why is Delhi government not batting for conversion of 15+ year old petrol cars in the NCR region? Is such a conversion even legal?
Old 10th December 2021, 07:43   #40
BHPian

Just came across this article... Looks pretty promising -
https://www.reviewgeek.com/102215/fo...-crate-engine/
pineapple_ameet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 08:19   #41
BHPian

It's a good idea, but implementing it properly in India is simply not possible. We lack the engineering talent (number of engineering graduates notwithstanding) and the design and manufacturing capabilities, not to mention the regulatory mechanisms to produce reliable, safe, economical, drop-in replacements for ICE engines.

Let's wait for other countries to come up with the products, then wait for China to mass produce them for the world market, and hopefully, a few decades down the line we might have a few CKD kits imported for early adopters and finally, when the world is returning to fossil fuelled, zero emissions ICE engines, we might get a few factories for drop-in EV power trains. This is how things have worked in the past, and I see nothing in the current scenario to predict that it will change anytime soon.
Old 10th December 2021, 20:04   #42
BHPian

Fiat 1100, converted to electric. However, while this will satisfy the emission norms, what about the braking, and safety regulations? The retrofitted electric cars can be much faster than the ICE versions, and they would not have the braking power to handle it.
the.dogfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 12:54   #43
BHPian

Can anyone give me some idea about traffic regulations in Gujarat qua the other state registered cars? I have two questions:

Does Gujarat state allow the running of vehicles that are registered outside the state of Gujarat?
Is the 10-year rule (ousting the diesel engines) applicable in Gujarat as well?
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:22   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Electrify your Delhi registered old motor vehicle to prolong its life

The Delhi government has empanelled six diesel/petrol to electric kit manufacturers to beat away the blues of the metro's 10/15 year old diesel/petrol car owners, who face the "Sword of Damocles" threat of de registration for their four wheeled possessions.

The six kit manufacturers are approved by the body International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT). Hopefully the kit manufacturers kitties will be full in due course of time if such conversions click with the car owners. The price of such kits are though a turnoff for car owners. The manufacturers are having a model line-up of different battery capacity kits for two, three and four wheelers.

While the cost of such kits are lower for two and three wheelers, for cars these cost Rs 3-5 lakhs per car. That's too much to make it affordable in case of all categories of cars and many owners could be shooed away seeing such a prohibitive cost.

These kits are supposed to beat away the pollution blues of Delhi, but seeing the price, its a matter of speculation as to whether such costly kits for cars will click with the many owners.

Should these cost less over a period of time owing to mass production, subsidies and lower duties, Gadkari's projected plans to boost new car sales will crash land with the scheming auto lobby biting its nails. They could take notice of such moves by the Delhi government to prolong old car lives and take corrective measures to bring in new laws. That could mean strict fitness tests for all such EV kit fitted old cars in Delhi and elsewhere to test their tyres, tie rods, windscreens, seat belts, suspensions etc. They could also say that these old cars scored ZERO on NCAP ratings way back then and could be unsafe for their occupants and other traffic users and hence need to be thrown to the gallows.

Quote:
However, the transport department of the Delhi government has given the owners of such vehicles and those nearing these age limits a helping hand. The department has asked them to either sell these cars outside the NCR, for which they will provide a NOC for re-registration in other states or they can retrofit these vehicles with electric conversion kits.

The officials from the transport department have recently empanelled six manufacturers through which these old diesel and petrol vehicles could be retrofitted with electric conversion kits. The retrofitters empanelled by the department are approved by International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT), a leading testing certification, research and development agency.

These companies will provide electric kits with different battery capacities and fuel types for two, three, and four-wheelers.
The news link:

https://www.cartoq.com/petrol-diesel...n-become-real/

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd January 2022 at 13:24.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 15:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Here’s a list of 8 companies empanelled so far for electric retrofitment for diesel/ petrol nearing or having crossed end of life ( 10/15 years )

More will follow after regulatory approvals

Delhi Government bats for 'Electric Retrofitting' for 10+ year old diesel cars-20220103_154950.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks