Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 17:27   #1

I'm contemplating buying an electric car | Have questions for EV owners

Hey Everyone,
I have been contemplating buying an electric vehicle (bike / car), but before I do that, I have a few questions. There are some questions here which I believe are just rumors but some which are genuine concerns of owners. I stay in Mumbai and currently drive a 2017 Elantra.
  1. Do you have an electric car or bike?
  2. What made you go electric?
  3. What electric cars did you testdrive and which one did you end up settling on?
  4. Do you use it daily?
  5. Where do you charge your car currently?
  6. How often do you charge?
  7. Have you ever run out of battery?
  8. Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby?
  9. Have you attempted any road trips?
  10. What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?
  11. What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill?
angadanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 10:11   #2
BHPian

re: I'm contemplating buying an electric car | Have questions for EV owners

Let me try and answer each of these.
1. 2 cars.
2. Refinement and acceleration of an Kona over ICE, and ease of driving a E2O in city
3. Drove two, bought two
4. Yes (almost)
5. Home (98% of the times)
6. Maybe once in 2 weeks
7. Never ran out of battery. Why would this even happen? It is not like the battery goes from 100% to 0% without warning.
8. Far too many apps, but if you want the best aggregator. Right now, plugshare is my go to app followed by pulse. I really wish government forces all these charging providers to move to a pay as you go system. May be UPI or touch based credit card readers.
9. Just completed a 2000 kms road trip from Pune-Bhilai-Pune. I know another person who has done Bangalore - Kanha. You can read other travelogues where people have done 2000+ km trips.
10. Good question, I guess same as what would happen if one runs out of petrol, park at nearby shop and request for 15amp socket. Surprisingly most of roadside shops have electricity, and electrons are the same, regardless of outlet. But why would this even happen? I understand this is an apprehension, but car gives you loads of warnings before dying.
11. I have grid tied solar plant, so was 0 before and is 0 now. Jokes apart, my usage has gone up by about 125 units per month.
mohanphadnis is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 10:57   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: I'm contemplating buying an electric car | Have questions for EV owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by angadanand View Post
Do you have an electric car or bike?
Not an EV owner, but have driven almost all EVs on sale in India, and a few abroad, so can comment.

First & foremost, please do read my guide to the world of EVs (Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head).

Quote:
What made you go electric?
Main motivations today would be early adoption, environmental concerns, image, hate for diesel etc.

Quote:
What electric cars did you testdrive and which one did you end up settling on?
The Nexon, Kona, Tigor & ZS EV have been the most competent. Avoid the rubbish EVs from Mahindra. The one that impressed me the most was the ZS EV; it's the closest to a "proper" car and very sorted.

Quote:
Where do you charge your car currently?
Best time to charge a car is overnight and the best place is your parking spot. To future-proof my driveways, I have recently installed 6 EV chargers. Already put 2 of them to use to trickle-charge my Jeep & 5-Series.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See my replies in bold.
  1. Do you have an electric car or bike? My sister does and I use it often.
  2. What made you go electric? She wanted to be the change.
  3. What electric cars did you test drive and which one did you end up settling on? I don't think she looked at Nexon nor Kona. She just decided on the MG ZS
  4. Do you use it daily? Yes, but short distances.
  5. Where do you charge your car currently? At my parking lot on a slow charger. Average time is 5% per hour
  6. How often do you charge? Once in 3 weeks.
  7. Have you ever run out of battery? Nope. It is recharged when it drops to 15-20%
  8. Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby? Yes.
  9. Have you attempted any road trips? No, just couple of drives around the city.
  10. What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery? Call MG support.
  11. What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill? Hardly anything.

Last edited by tharian : 26th November 2021 at 11:05.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 12:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
There are some questions here which I believe are just rumors but some which are genuine concerns of owners. I stay in Mumbai and currently drive a 2017 Elantra.

We just took delivery of our Nexon EV yesterday.

Quote:
We had to replace our ageing Eon LPG for mom’s commute (her workplace is ~20km both sides) with something.

Figo’17 (D) is used by dad because he’s posted in another town right now. Considering the Ford situation, it was necessary to have a fallback too.

We figured it’s not worth it to splurge on a guzzler with the fuel prices right now, considering we already have 3kW solar at our residence and a covered parking space too, it was just a no brainer to go EV.

Quote:
We drove the kona back in ‘19 shortly after launch for curiosity reasons. Didn’t intend to replace any car or even buy it then.

We drove the Nexon just before Dussehra’21 and doubled down on it because kona had had the LGChem battery recall debacle, thus, dad wasn’t too confident in it.

Quote:
Do you use it daily?
Today is the first day, mom has taken it to work. It will be used daily, just like the eon before it.

Quote:
Tata folks haven’t installed the charger yet but we were in luck because one of the living room windows overlooks the garage space so we were able to plug in into the socket which the living room AC was connected to. Charged to 100 from 70. (Was delivered at 72)

Once they do come on Sunday, it will be installed in the covered parking area of our house.

I'm contemplating buying an electric car | Have questions for EV owners-f8a9e239b2f64e1cb00fe340551c7e1a.jpeg

Quote:
How often do you charge?
I have read on the Nexon thread that LFP battery used in Nexon doesn’t have the 20-80 rule. So charging to 100, everyday for us.

Quote:
Have you ever run out of battery?
Too early for this, but from what I see, it’s not easy to do that. If you can run out in an EV, you can run out in a fuel car too.

It could be the case on an unplanned highway trip but then we don’t really travel by road all that much.

Charging everyday will probably ensure way more than what is needed for commute and then some.

Quote:
Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby?
Dealership folks told us EZcharge app for Tata power but I also know PlugShare app which is supposed to be aggregator agnostic — as in chargers from all providers.

Quote:
Have you attempted any road trips?
Dad despises long road trips, we have only been to surrounding cities like Kanpur (relatives live there), his current posting Hardoi and Allahabad via road. Anything more is train or flight for him.

Again, too early to say, because well, 1st day. But I expect not. All mentioned cities are within 200km so it’s very much possible to attempt the maximum that dad can tolerate. Will surely post on Nexon thread if we do.

Quote:
What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?
RSA it is.

Quote:
What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill?
Too early to say, but our bills did plunge from ~₹1400s to ₹600s (practically halved) ever since we got solar this monsoon.

It will surely increase due to EV but the catch is the fact that fuel spendings become zero, which used to be in ₹2500 range for LPG and double that for petrol if god forbid the pump near mom’s workplace didn’t have LPG stock on that day.

Last edited by Shresth_EV : 26th November 2021 at 12:19. Reason: Formatting
Shresth_EV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 14:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Car. NexonEV. Since July 2021
Quote:
Driving pleasure, "It's the future"
Quote:
Only NexonEV. Did not test drive anything else.
Quote:
Do you use it daily?
Yes. Daily approx 80kms
Quote:
Mostly Home. Very occasional fast charging.
Quote:
How often do you charge?
Every night.
Quote:
Have you ever run out of battery?
Not so far.
Quote:
Multiple apps. There is Zeon. Tata Power EZ Charge, ElectreeFi
Quote:
Have you attempted any road trips?
Not yet.
Quote:
What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?
Other than calling Tata emergency charge service (if available) nothing else.
Quote:
What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill?
Increase of approx Rs.1.00 per each km run (approximation, there could be minor error)
GS300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 15:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
So happy for you Shresth, waiting for very long review of your EV and monthly updates on various costs.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 08:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
So happy for you Shresth, waiting for very long review of your EV and monthly updates on various costs.
Thanks!

Sure thing on the updates!
Old 27th November 2021, 10:00   #9

Hey Guys!

Thank you so much for your replies.
I have a few follow up questions and something of an aspirational future for EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
Thats really great news ! Many Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300
Yes. Daily approx 80kms
I guess an EV would make the prefect office round vehicle.

And From what I can gather an EV has far cheaper running costs when compared to traditional gas vehicles.

I will take the Hyundai Kona for a test drive later today. I will update you guys on what I feel like.

I imagine a future where when you take your EV to the mall or movie theatre not only can you book a ticket but also a charging slot for X hours. With a sort of valet service. I am not sure if such a facility exists at the moment. I have a drive way where I can install an EV Charging station but I imagine people living in densely populated apartments might not have that option.

I will update this after my test drive.
angadanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 11:47   #10
BHPian

Do you have an electric car or bike? Have a Nexon EV and an OLA S1 pro on the way

What made you go electric? Trying to lead a more environmentally conscious life. The lower cost of ownership is a plus point. Also we have invested in an on-grid 5kw solar array which we get better utilization out of thanks to the EV.

What electric cars did you testdrive and which one did you end up settling on? Tata Nexon EV and MG ZS EV

Do you use it daily? Yes

Where do you charge your car currently? Since our house a free standing house we do not have any restrictions when it came to setting up charging for the car as well as scooters. Other owners living in flats have faced difficulties in the same.

How often do you charge? Once or maybe twice in a week. Depends on the number if km driven

Have you ever run out of battery? Not so far. Usually everyone plans and drives accordingly

Depends on your region. In Kerala its Tata power, Zeon and Electrifi

Have you attempted any road trips? Yes.

What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?RSA. Everyone plans accordingly for their drive. Like no one really runs into an empty petrol and diesel tank. You get ample warnings before you run flat.

What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill? None to be honest. The EV eats into our excess generation from solar panels. Almost every other EV owner we know has a solar array set up at home.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 11:54   #11
BHPian

Hello, I drive a Kona EV. Please find below my thoughts on your queries.

[*]Do you have an electric car or bike?
Yes, I drive a Kona EV.

[*]What made you go electric?
Running expenses in pre-Covid days. My daily commute was ~150 Kms, and fuel expenses were quite high (circa 2019). With the increased fuel costs, and ease of use of EV, I won’t be ever going back to ICE. The regen braking and single pedal driving are completely addictive (apart from the instant torque/acceleration, which is a party trick you’ll use much less after you realize how much it impacts the range).

[*]What electric cars did you testdrive and which one did you end up settling on?
Test drove only the Kona. Wanted to test drive the ZS EV, but the brand and overall looks weren’t appealing. Didn’t test Nexon as I believe atleast 300kms is the bare minimum range needed for EVs to be practical.

[*]Do you use it daily?
Yes, averaging 30-50 kms currently. Will be going back to ~150 kms as my office is reopening soon.

[*]Where do you charge your car currently?
Home, AC charger.

[*]How often do you charge?
1-2 times a week.

[*]Have you ever run out of battery?
Never. You just need to plan the night before and decide if your trip is longer than the range, and then charge up overnight.

[*]Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby?
I haven’t used it much, but Tata Power EZCharge will tell you the location of chargers and tariffs.

[*]Have you attempted any road trips?
Just attempted a 1000kms trip recently, Hyderabad to Nellore (round trip). Faced no challenges at all. In fact, through careful use (consistent speed of 70-75 kmph) was able to get a range of 410-420 kms and overall time was only a hour longer than the trip in a ICE car.

[*]What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?
Highly unlikely in the city usage. Long trips, will need planning in advance. Only if there are multiple chargers and/or confirmation that they’re working can we take the trips. Worst case scenario, park the car at a hotel and slow charge through 16A plug.

[*]What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill?
Increase of 1000-1500, depending on number of times I’ve charged in the month. Now offset by installation of solar panels at home.

Happy to share further details in case of any queries.
bgt_titan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 18:31   #12
BHPian

1. Do you have an electric car or bike? - Yes, E2O 2 Door(2015) and E-Verito D2 (2021)
2. What made you go electric? - Was looking for very small car, E2O(2015) did check all the boxes, E-Verito(2021) bought as we needed an extra car and that was cheapest available which ticks all boxes
3. What electric cars did you testdrive and which one did you end up settling on? - E2O(Bought), MG eZS, Nexon EV, Tigor EV
4. Do you use it daily? - Yes, both cars do 26~30km Everyday
5. Where do you charge your car currently?- Home and office, Slow AC Charger
6. How often do you charge?- Once in 3 days
7. Have you ever run out of battery? - No
8. Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby? - No
9. Have you attempted any road trips? - No
10. What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery? - Call RSA or Tow Truck
11. What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill? - Did not bother to check yet.

Last edited by antariksh : 27th November 2021 at 18:33.
antariksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 19:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
- Yes 2016 E2O four door hatchback - now completed 43000 kms

Quote:
  1. What made you go electric?
- fuel cost and ease of use

Quote:
  1. What electric cars did you testdrive and which one did you end up settling on?
- Back then there was no other option

Quote:
  1. Do you use it daily?
- Yes absolutely

Quote:
  1. Where do you charge your car currently?
- I have identified 2-3 places in the general circuit where I drive. Works well for me

Quote:
  1. How often do you charge?
- At least once a day (sometimes a couple of hours in the day as well)

Quote:
  1. Have you ever run out of battery?
- No but I had to take another car to a meeting since E2O was charging

Quote:
  1. Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby?
- No app but I mostly have an idea of where they are

Quote:
  1. Have you attempted any road trips?
- The range does not allow for any road trips outside of 100 kms. That said, my daily commute between 2 locations that I frequent 5-6 times in a week is 90 kms. I am mostly doing 500-600 kms per week since unlockdown 2

Quote:
  1. What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?
- Call a cab and head to work. Tell the folks at Mahindra to tow this away and fix it.

Quote:
  1. What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill?
-
HUGE. Given a almost 2000 kms drive per month my electricity bill is up by about Rs 1000 (give or take a couple of hundred) and there is no cost on petrol or diesel. (in today's rate that would be almost Rs 20000-21000 per month).

In fact I should mention that any electric car is good for a city use right now...there are always nervous moments when taking it outside the city or to another location for the first time. Even with a MG or Tata Nexon or even a Hyundai Kona - think of a drive from Bangalore to Chennai - and you are facing nervous moments of where it will be charged. The app based life has one limitation - one does not know that when you arrive at the said location in what status are those charging points, what convertors are needed, how good is the power supply etc. I have had numerous such situations right here at the Bangalore airport which has these kind of charges but many times are not functional/being shifted and the technician who would help is having a lunch/dinner and simply not around. At least in 5 star hotels if it is not working someone does come running and fixes it.

Bottomline, irrespective of what electric car you buy, do a very good survey of the circuit you will operate in, always have a first car that you will fall back on.

Hope this is helpful to you and to others.

regards
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 23:49   #14
BHPian

[*]Do you have an electric car or bike?

I own the MG ZS EV
[*]What made you go electric?

The continued increase in fuel prices prompted me to consider going for EV. I am not personally convinced about the car being very environmentally friendly - especially when the charger on the highway is powered by a diesel generator
[*]What electric cars did you test drive and which one did you end up settling on?

Both Nexon EV and MG ZS EV. I didn't TD the Kona but rode as a passenger along with a friend. Finally settled on ZS.
[*]Do you use it daily?

Yes. Although my daily driving distances are currently small.
[*]Where do you charge your car currently?

At my parking slot at home. I live in a large apartment complex with multilevel parking. My allocated parking slot is located 3 levels below the ground and I managed to get the charger installed at this location. The charging process is absolutely smooth and trouble free so far.
[*]How often do you charge?

Once in 10 days.
[*]Have you ever run out of battery?

No. My commute is currently restricted to driving within the city and the car can get charged overnight or a over a weekend.
[*]Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby?

I use Plugshare, Tata EZ app and Pulse
[*]Have you attempted any road trips?

No - not yet. I am planning on a road trip soon. As others have already mentioned, it is not just the charging infra, the reliability of chargers along the highways is definitely a challenge currently.
[*]What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?

Well - I do not contemplate such a situation. The car has adequate warning systems to warn of low battery as soon as it hits 25%. One can always find a friendly dhaba or a store that can provide a 15A socket for charging.
[*]What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill?

Probably by about Rs. 800
Early_Adopter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 00:37   #15
BHPian

I am not EV owner but did consider EV as one of the Options during my recent Car search.

I will list you points which made me change my mind, Hope it helps.

1. Segment lower

- Nexon for an example competes in segment lower than say Creta, it competes with Brezza, Venue, Sonet segment but if you buy same as EV while you get more Power compared to ICE but you loose next segment which provides more space and features, that's true across EV ranges.
I know i am comparing Apple with Oranges when i compare Nexon ICE with Nexon EV offering, May be we need separate segment for EV's but as of now with comparison of ICE that's what we can do.

2. Maturity

- ICE development started long back and companies did spend considerable resources to develop ICE based ecosystem which you see today, I believe that's going to take some time for EV, We are moving fast but not there yet.

- I was looking at EV comparison in UK, they had 10 models listed, India only had one of them available here - MG Zs EV, this will eventually change, we will get more Options, better range.

3. Need

- My Current running did not justify immediate EV move, Around 10K KM per year did not justify saving.

4. Time Vs Money

- Sometime back there was drive comparison between ICE Vs EV's in USA ( mkbhd 1000 miles ), Even with current large charging network in USA, EV's were slower to complete that journey. situation is not so different in India, you have to spend lot more hour planning and executing, while you save money, you do loose time.

5. Environment

- With India still around 59-60% dependant on coal energy, I really don't find much meat in argument that we save environment by using EV in India. Yes, We save on vehicle pollution but it does not benefit much till we get away and move towards more renewable energy options. With BS6 and stricter norms in place we do cover part of vehicle pollution.

Just to re-iterate this is just my personal reasons of not choosing EV, I am quite sure we have lots of EV user who are happy with their decision.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks