Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2022, 16:40   #16
BHPian

re: Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya

I really dig this hatchback/wagon hybrid body style, no unnecessary sloping roof and all, just a clean and practical design. Also, a much better concept than that ugly blob Curvv that was unveiled some weeks ago.

Interesting that they're calling this dedicated (hopefully) EV platform "Gen3", I thought their current crop of passenger EVs were Gen1?
TaurusSHO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 16:42   #17

Looks promising. Looks world class. Targeting global market making sense. Good efforts made to show the Gen3 EV platform standout from existing EV crowd. 500km minimum should be real world. First Major India OEM bringing Global EV concept with production target date. Plans to in-house battery and semi conductor supply chain items are major move. It seems ticking all right buttons.

For me if the above are true, then Tata is all set to make a mark in EV global market.

One question, are Mahindra and Suzuki missing the bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
I really dig this hatchback/wagon hybrid body style, no unnecessary sloping roof and all, just a clean and practical design. Also, a much better concept than that ugly blob Curvv that was unveiled some weeks ago.

Interesting that they're calling this dedicated (hopefully) EV platform "Gen3", I thought their current crop of passenger EVs were Gen1?
I think the Curvv is gen2. Where it accommodates both ICE and EV. Curvv first will be launched an pure EV then an ICE version of Curvv to follow. However still pure EV version manages advantages like extended flat floor, frunk, etc.,

Gen3 is pure EV platform. NO ICE version can be made in this.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 29th April 2022 at 16:54. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks.
AutoWiki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 18:18   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

So many EV concepts like Sierra EV, Curvv(or was it Curvy?) and now this and yet Tata has still not launched the EV concepts that it had showcased 3 years ago!

Yes, I am talking about the Altroz EV which was a much more realistic EV concept than these station wagon and coupe like concepts which do not even have a platform ready yet! They are probably too busy launching new color options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWiki View Post
One question, are Mahindra and Suzuki missing the bus?
Hell no! Maruti, Toyota, Honda, Mahindra are all working on EVs but we all know and even the manufacturers know that EVs aren't a practical solution and hence the brands are working on hybrids, Hydrogen FCEVs (Toyota recently imported the Mirai) etc.

Since Tata is not even close to the technological prowess and proficiency of Mahindra or the Japs, they are just taking a shortcut to EVs, unlike others.
I'm sure when Maruti, Toyota, and Mahindra launch their EVs in 2025, Tata will have a tough time since the better ones will obviously pack their EVs with some intelligent tech just like they have always dominated ICE cars of Tata (Remember, Mahindra never made a mass produced petrol till date and yet has 3 great petrol engines that are miles better than Tata's lethargic petrol engines, despite almost 2 decades of continuous production of petrol engines!)

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 29th April 2022 at 18:45.
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 18:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
[*]AVINYA Concept has been made screen-less, to bar any distractions inside the car and create a stress free environment for the mind and soul.
Reading that, was soothing!!

I havent understood the fascination with touchscreens everywhere. Give me analog everywhere please. Anyday.
2000rpm is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 20:05   #20
BHPian

Just 2 pages and 20 posts so far, after 8 hours of unveil! Clearly shows the cold reception this event has got in otherwise hot summer. Sierra could have infused excitement and made us take notice.

I now strongly believe that last showcased Sierra concept and Altroz EV have gone out of park. New management, new product lines.

In the Avinya introduction video, check video at 5:14 to 5:15. You will see 2 design sketches that are closer to production form.

What car could that be? Harrier twin updates? Take a guess.

Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-avinya1.png

Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-avinya2.png

Last edited by varunswnt : 29th April 2022 at 20:24.
varunswnt is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 23:46   #21

Re: Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
So many EV concepts like Sierra EV, Curvv(or was it Curvy?) and now this and yet Tata has still not launched the EV concepts that it had showcased 3 years ago!

Yes, I am talking about the Altroz EV which was a much more realistic EV concept than these station wagon and coupe like concepts which do not even have a platform ready yet! They are probably too busy launching new color options!
I agree on petrol engine part. However, Mahindra was first to put hands on Reva decade ago. When Tata made Nexon EV and progressing with LR version and now on next gens, why Mahindra was not capitalizing first mover advantage.

Second PHEV, Hybrid like Honda city, are good to have. The premium paid on car price for increased fuel efficiency does not equate. I am not even saying zero tail pipe matter here. Awaiting Honda city Hybrid pricing. Because Toyota Camry hybrid pricing North of 40L.

Hydrogen since govt now pushing it , may get traction, still no practical solution on cost of hydrogen production, logistics and storage unsolved. One more thing number of models on hydrogen is also very few one Toyota, one Honda , one Hyundai if not wrong are globally known some what successful. Last but not least, safety of hydrogen handling inside and outside car.

For me until, hydrogen issues are handled, it is long way to go.

BEV lot of break through in charging and density I.e range is happening. Outside India USD50k cars I.e 35Lacs + cars already having 600+ km range which is far more enough to handle range anxiety which now Tata is also addressing here with Gen3, though pricing and segment is not spelt.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th April 2022 at 21:57. Reason: quote content trimmed
AutoWiki is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 00:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Hell no! Maruti, Toyota, Honda, Mahindra are all working on EVs but we all know and even the manufacturers know that EVs aren't a practical solution and hence the brands are working on hybrids, Hydrogen FCEVs (Toyota recently imported the Mirai) etc.

Since Tata is not even close to the technological prowess and proficiency of Mahindra or the Japs, they are just taking a shortcut to EVs, unlike others
That isn't true. Honda is completely against FCEVs and even spoke against Toyota when they announced hydrogen combustion plans. Honda CEO very clearly stated that he believes hydrogen as a fuel will never be feasible or efficient. Even Toyota has made a sudden, very very major, shift towards EVs. They've announced a $13.5 billion investment in battery tech and a whole new range of EVs which is expected to launch this year. And everyone knows about the Maruti-Toyota partnership for EVs in India. Basically, I don't think any major global manufacturer today believes in FCEV future. Everyone (VW, Honda, Ford, GM, Toyota) is primarily working on EVs. Even Mahindra is all set to reveal 3 EV concepts in coming July. They did not even consider FCEVs afaik.

Tata started working on EVs early and is now benefitting. And the word of mouth about their EVs is good. They have a demand of 2500 units per month for the Nexon EV alone. This is no joke, they delivered a good product and it's now working. If they lacked technological prowess, all this would never have been possible. Look at their newly developed platform, the ALFA arc. So stable, safe, offers brilliant ride quality! They're working on new petrol engines too if what I've read is true. Let's wait for that as well.
Sources:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...30-2021-09-07/

https://electrek.co/2022/01/20/honda...seem-feasible/

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-unveil-423526

Last edited by udaikalra01 : 30th April 2022 at 00:21.
udaikalra01 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 01:09   #23
BANNED

With such a long wheel base they can use LFP batteries like the BYD blade style it will reduce cost(1kwh costs less the $85 before freight and customs).

Secondly if a EV crashes and gets crumpled all the way to the passenger cabin, (We see plenty of crumpled cars which are unidentifiable daily in our highways, while the occupants may be dead, they don't catch fire).
In a EV with Lion or Lipo battery like hyundai and Kia vehicles, if the vehicles get crumpled till the place of the battery pack, it will catch fire and spread.( no guarantee hyundai and Kia will make 3 plus star cars in future for India) and trucks in our country don't have those crash guards at the back to prevent cars from going under. Plus the poor rash driving in our country, its better if all manufacturers stick with safe chemistry like LFP.

A 50inch size old plasma or old LCD (with ccfl backlight) dimensions roughly will match a 40kwh LFP blade battery.

This particular tata concept, looks like its good for 100kwh of battery pack just by its wheelbase size.

Last edited by aim120 : 30th April 2022 at 01:11.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 09:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
A 50inch size old plasma or old LCD (with ccfl backlight) dimensions roughly will match a 40kwh LFP blade battery.

This particular tata concept, looks like its good for 100kwh of battery pack just by its wheelbase size.
I agree on LFP batteries. Also imagine with 30kw with current Gen batteries, they achieved 220km real world range at minimum. I can understand the power, torque and motor capacity and battery optimization have role to play.

Certainly we don't need mass market cars with 200+ hp, 400+nm torque for daily commute.

with Gen3, LFP and 50 to 60kw battery size, cost reduction in next three years by tech advancements, Tata should pull all strings to have 500km range in Affordable hatch, crossover and an mid size SUV ranging from 12 to 20 lakhs which is ruled by ICE.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2022 at 11:14. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
Old 30th April 2022, 11:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra is yet to launch electric version of XUV300 - showcased in the same auto expo . I’ll go ahead and make a guess - the launch of the production version CURVV concept would not be much later than the launch of the electric XUV300 .

Quote:
They are probably too busy launching new color options!
Hope you aware that the long range version of Nexon EV is due for launch next month.

Quote:
Hybrids are simply a stop - gap transition until the mass adoption of EVs. Pure EVs are the future and no one can deny that.

Market has responded well to the Nexon EV and Tigor EV .We’re yet to see how the market responds to a strong hybrid . Also, hope you’re aware that hydrogen fuels cell EVs are far from reality in India - even EV adoption would seem easier

Quote:
Since Tata is not even close to the technological prowess and proficiency of Mahindra or the Japs, they are just taking a shortcut to EVs, unlike others.
We’re yet to experience “technological prowess and proficiency” of Mahindra and others in the domain of EVs in India. No point talking what they’re capable of , until we get to see it. I don’t want to get started on how Mahindra acquired a brand like REVA and threw away it’s first mover advantage.
Shashwat.75 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 12:43   #26
BHPian

I used to love the concept cars in my childhood, since they represented the aspirational dreams for the manufacturers and the drivers and passengers.

Call it what you may, cynicism of a ripe age, shattering of dreams from the reality of life or just life experience; now when I see a concept car, I just see things that can never make it to real life production.

In this case, I look at the concept and I see the following which will never make it to the actual car
  • Jutting out tail lights - that is just asking for trouble, if you make it too strong, it will be a threat to pedestrians and other road users, if you make it too soft, it will be broken always, if you make it pliable, the cost will be too much...
  • Jutting out rear view mirror/camera - same as the tail lights
  • Steering centered display - now that looks cool, but where will you put the airbag? plus the transparent material, if it uses some kind of glass, will be a knife for the driver at its worst, at its best it will be a fingerprint magnet
  • Butterfly doors - this will necessitate strengthening of the roof and/or floor to justify removal of B pillar. More weight to be added to the car, going against the wisdom of reducing weight for the EV to be more efficient
  • Overlarge tyres and wheels - suspension travel. enough said...

Really wish to go back to the simplicity of childhood, when you could dream and understand someone else's dreams.....
Ravi Parwan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 17:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Motors is calling it's new EV concept as Avinya. Production version will be coming by 2025.
I have a Question. 90% of these concepts are showcased with these butterfly doors opening in opposite directions, but why none of the cars get it when these "concepts" become reality?

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st May 2022 at 06:03. Reason: Fixing quote box.
Old 30th April 2022, 17:41   #28
BHPian

Official media statement on concept Avinya.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-346baa6147464a9eabc64326963aca69.jpeg  

Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-02a7ba4ae867474499cd936322df83eb.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 18:39   #29
BHPian

I will take such launches with pinch of salt though I hope and wish Tata does become international player in EV. For that they need to overhaul themselves and be more agile. The current focus on customer experience is not at par Maruti, forget international.

Infact I give more value to comments in reference to EV from Mr. RC Bhargava during recent earnings release of Maruti. Far more grounded, realistic and eventually bringing in the product more accessible to mass market of India.
FiatDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 18:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Avinya concept is 4.3 metres.

The platform can accommodate cars between 4.1 to 4.5 metres.

And it can be front / rear or all wheel drive.

Source: ET

I am imagining:
- A 4.1 metre compact SUV similar to Nexon.
- A 4.3 / 4.5 metre SUV, similar to Harrier / Safari. In fact, ACI has already reported that its coming in 2025. Code name Eturna.
- A 4.3 metre MUV, which the Avinya concept would develop into.

Tata would surely have grabbed more eyeballs if they had showcased an SUV instead of the hatchback + van + MUV Avinya.

I am further imagining a butch rear / all wheel drive SUV like the Rivian R1S.
ashutoshb is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks