Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2022, 21:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya

Very exciting new platform. My concern is with all this new development (new platform, new powertrain - EV, battery development), will these vehicles be at a very high price point, to be profitable? Unless maybe, as they highlight, global expansions are a key part of this plan, with the extra volume to keep their costs down.
Old 1st May 2022, 03:14   #32
BHPian

Dyson electric CONCEPT

Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dyson-electric.jpeg

Audi Urbansphere CONCEPT

Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-audi-urbansphere.jpeg

Tata Avinya CONCEPT

Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-avinya.jpeg

Skoda Enyaq PRODUCTION. No wonder Skoda calls itself simply clever!

Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-skoda.jpeg

Last edited by carthick1000 : 1st May 2022 at 03:16.
carthick1000 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 08:30   #33
BHPian

I am taking this with a Safari full of salt. I know they want to dominate the EV space. But the race is won by launching more models, not just concepts. They launched Nexon EV in less than 2 years. Altroz was launched back in Jan 2020, now where is the Altroz EV. It makes a lot more sense than Nexon, since it is a new platform and will be at a cheaper sticker price.
Besides the additional cost to develop Punch will also be reduced.

Let's keep aside already existing models. What happened to the E-Vision, Blackbird and Sierra concept. If they keep on unveiling concepts, no one will take them seriously.

If I recall properly, there was an article back in 2020 where Tata claimed that they will launch 5 new EVs in 2 years or so. Where are they Tata.
Looks like this one is unveiled to paint Tata as an upcoming EV success, so that the shares go up a bit!
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 14:53   #34
BHPian

I wonder if Tata is going to bring back its "Estate" with this design if this car/design ever see the light of day in the Indian passenger car market. The Safari has come back, the Sierra has made its comeback, and going by the shape - this reminds me heavily of the Tata Estate. Similar thoughts, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
I really dig this hatchback/wagon hybrid body style, no unnecessary sloping roof and all, just a clean and practical design. Also, a much better concept than that ugly blob Curvv that was unveiled some weeks ago.

Interesting that they're calling this dedicated (hopefully) EV platform "Gen3", I thought their current crop of passenger EVs were Gen1?
chaosengine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 09:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Tata Avinya Concept : A Close Look

A concept car is something that is displayed to show either new technology or design language or both. Often, these are often displayed at events such as motor shows to gauge customer response. Many times, the designs are over the top. But then, the concept undergoes many revisions till it's ready for production. Many a time, the production-ready vehicle bears little or no resemblance to the concept.

Last month, Tata Motors showcased two concept cars - the Curvv and the Avinya. While the Curvv is based on the Tata Motors' Generation 2 EV architecture, the latter is based on the Gen 3 EV architecture.

Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-03.jpg

According to the company, the name "Avinya" is derived from the Sanskrit language and stands for "Innovation". The production version of the car is expected to hit the market by 2025. Positioned as a cross between an SUV and an MPV, the car offers ample space on the inside thanks to the lack of a traditional engine and floor mounted batteries.

Made with the use of lightweight materials, the Avinya gets an EV-optimized structure. The company claims that the car's battery will support ultra-fast charging, estimated to provide 500 km of range in under 30 minutes. It will also get next-generation connectivity and advanced driver assistance technologies. This platform is expected to offer high structural safety, water proofing and dust protection, making it suitable for different terrains.

Tata Avinya Concept Exterior Images

Futuristic front end gets LED strips across its width that form the new "T" logo. Slim headlamps sit above the LED strips on either side. The lower portion of the bumper has no vents and is instead filled with multiple LEDs that turn on and off in sequence:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-02.jpg

A closer look at the bumper. Notice the individuals LEDs. There are two L-shaped wings (probably to deflect air onto the wheels for cooling the brakes and for better aerodynamics):
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-05dsc08635.jpg

The new "T" logo:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08692.jpg

Large windscreen extends into the bonnet area towards the bottom and into the full glass roof at the top:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08681.jpg

No door handles! Towards the bottom, the black plastic breaks the monotony:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-06dsc08645.jpg

Glass area is not large. Notice the absence of the B-pillar:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08666.jpg

While it looks like the air scoop is designed to deliver air to the rear engine, it is just a visual element. The rear doors swing open backwards (suicide doors):
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-07dsc08651.jpg

ORVM duties are handled by these slim wing-mounted cameras. On the inside, each A-pillar has small displays showing the view from the cameras:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08643.jpg

Funky 22" rims shod with 265/35 section tyres. Notice the new "T" logo in the center:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08639.jpg

Rear end gets a red backlit "T". It is mounted on a wing:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08735.jpg

The wing extends into the sides and juts out. From this angle, the Avinya looks like an MPV:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-08dsc08654.jpg

A closer look at the extended portion of the wing with embedded LED lights:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-09dsc08660.jpg

Tata Avinya Concept Interior Images

The interiors have a pleasant colour scheme and a minimal design. This might not be to everyone's taste, but if this is what the future holds, I'm sure Gen Z will love it. I like the materials used as well. However, it's too early to tell if the same will be used in the production-spec car.

Step inside and you will feel like you are getting inside a completely new mode of transportation:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-int01img_5694.jpg

Dashboard is non-existent. There is just a big hole where one would expect a traditional dash. No buttons, no infotainment screen or air-con vents:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-img_571300.jpg

Funky steering wheel will divide opinions. The small screen in the middle displays the essentials and the controls for various functions are placed on either side:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-intdsc08546.jpg

Voice commands are displayed on the small screen:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-intdsc08543.jpg

Stalks for the wipers / indicators have a metallic finished in this cool metal. No marking for any of the buttons:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08554.jpg

Speed, battery status, range and navigation directions are displayed in this screen just below the front windshield. The clarity of the screen is good:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08573.jpg

Rolls Royce Phantom-like doors are large and take up a considerable space on the sides when open. Ingress / egress is very easy thanks to the lack of a B-pillar. There is ample space to step in or out: Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-intdsc08523.jpg

Doorpads are finished in a brown and beige:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-intdsc08524.jpg

Frame-less windows! Slim glass looks good with the doors open:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-intdsc08526.jpg

White cylindrical air-con vent is adjustable and placed on the doorpad. There are no handles as doors open and close electronically. Each door gets temperature and seat control switches along with a button to open or close it:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-intdsc08529.jpg

Seats are wide, but lack side bolstering. These can also swivel to make ingress / egress easier. The base has textile material while the back rest is clad in leather:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-int02img_5691.jpg

Notice the unique seatbelt mounting location. This is because there are no B-pillars to mount the seatbelts:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08560.jpg

Seatbelt clip goes in here:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc08559.jpg

Seat are mounted on a single point (which moves back and forth and swivels as well):
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-img_5709.jpg

Front armrest houses the motor On/Off switch and R-N-D buttons. It also holds the switches for the parking brake and auto hold:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-img_5696.jpg

Pedals are finished in a brushed aluminium and look sleek. B-pedal is wider than the A-pedal:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-dsc0855600.jpg

Rear bench is wide. It has the same seatbelt arrangement as the front seats:
Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-img_569800.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

well, TATA Motors needs some positive press to curb the fall. It has been losing money big time. I see this concept as a wagon to rally some excitement in their shares. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not even a design exercise that will one fine day trickle down to future production.

Purely my point of view.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 18:04   #37
BHPian

How many cars in total are they working on? Avinya production model, Curvv EV+ICE, Harrier-sized all new EV(claimed by Autocar), Sierra EV(Shailesh Chandra gave a hint), Altroz/Punch EV, facelifts of existing models!. And most of these are expected to debut in the next three years. I hope they don't rush things

Last edited by udaikalra01 : 4th May 2022 at 18:13.
udaikalra01 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 10:14   #38
BHPian

Is it just me or the car really looks ugly? With the EV's rushing in, somehow cars are getting uglier, even the ICE cars. It seems to have borrowed design ideas from Tesla Cyber Truck and the super ugly new BMW 7 series G70 (and I thought Chris Bangle designs were bad). Lots of jagged edges, the wheels look like blades from a mixer grinder, giant grills which are supposed to be redundant in an EV, a front end, that looks like the back end and vice-versa, no personality whatsoever.
Cars are supposed to have elegant flowing lines and curves. They are supposed to be objects of desire. This looks like a crushed box, meant just to transport people and nothing else. I guess TATA is just joining the competition to make ugly cars. Good designs from the TATA stable like the Altroz made me go wow, but this really makes me fearful of the future. I would rather walk or cycle rather than ever buying anything like this.
Ritkon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:12   #39
BHPian

Looking at the positive side of things, this isn't really the best of the worst that they could possibly muster and there is more lined up for the not so distant future. For an automotive assembler that has yet to learn to engineer a good ICE, this should be the least of the problems.
Old 5th May 2022, 21:54   #40
BHPian

So when a manufacturer makes a concept car, is it meant to be road worthy? Lack of a B pillar makes me wonder. The fit and finish is lovely though. A pity production cars are nowhere near this level of attention to detail.
Old 7th May 2022, 14:29   #41

Thats a lot of electronics in there. The way I see it is, the more electronics (screens, cameras, gizmos) in there, the more things there are that can fail.

And expensive to fix, to boot. If some bozo in a commercial Bolero overtaking a bike overtaking a bus hits my ORVM, then all it costs me is to fix the case and the actual mirror. (Real experience, driving from Kolkata to Siliguri a few years ago, set me back just a couple of hundred bucks to fix).

Imagine losing the 'rear view cam' on this, or the screen inside going kaput (hello, XUV 7oo! ). Or the steering mounted display.
Old 2nd November 2023, 17:47   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors to share JLR’s ‘EMA’ EV architecture for Avinya range of cars.

The MoU was signed between JLR and Tata Motors for sharing of vehicle architecture.

As part of accelerating its transition to electric vehicles, Tata Motors announced a strategic collaboration with its marque brand Jaguar Land Rover to share the UK-based premium vehicle maker's EMA electric vehicle architecture.

This EMA architecture will be used for its upcoming premium range of EVs based on the Avinya concept showcased by the company.

Avinya is not just a car, but an architecture that is likely to spawn a family or range of electric vehicles in the future

This is the second major joint project announced by Tata Motors and JLR. The Harrier and Safari SUVs are based on the Jaguar Land Rover Freelander platform.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd November 2023 at 17:49.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 16:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Press Release

Tata Motors EV concept, the Avinya-smartselect_20231103162044_drive.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks