Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2022, 12:32   #1
BHPian

Ford drops plans to make EVs in India (for exports)

Ford was planning to make EVs in India for the global markets and was earlier selected under the Government of India's Production Linked Incentive Scheme but they have decided not to invest in making EVs in India and the same was communicated to employees in Chennai plant.

Source: https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...india/91511211
techdarshan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford considering producing EVs in India. EDIT: Drops plans

Ford drops India plans for EV exports.

Ford drops plans to make EVs in India (for exports)-smartselect_20220512124749_chrome.jpg

Quote:
Ford has withdrawn its application from the Centre’s production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme for export of electric vehicles.
Quote:
With Ford now shelving its PLI plans, it remains to be seen what is in store at Maraimalainagar where production of vehicles will come to a halt in the coming weeks.
Quote:
From the Ford employees’ point of view, this will be a big setback since they would have been hoping for a new lease of life with electric production.
Quote:
Sources also say that capacity at Maraimalainagar for EVs could also have been a challenge from a long term point of view for production worldwide.
Quote:
It is now clear that Ford has wrapped up its India innings and there is no question of restarting operations.
Quote:
In an official response Ford India spokesperson confirmed and said "After careful review, we have decided to no longer pursue EV manufacturing for exports from any of the Indian plants. We remain grateful to the Government for approving our proposal under the Production-Linked Incentives and for being supportive while we continued our exploration."
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th May 2022 at 13:05.
Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 16:19   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford drops plans to make EVs in India (for exports)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdarshan View Post
but they have decided not to invest in making EVs in India and the same was communicated to employees in Chennai plant.
I had mentioned as such. All this "I'm not selling cars in India, but will stick around to build them" statements by Ford, Chevrolet etc are just a way of delivering slow poison. In 90% of car manufacturing cases, local sales & operations are necessary to support an export unit.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 17:09   #4

re: Ford considering producing EVs in India. EDIT: Drops plans

Quitting business in a developing country when everyone else wants a share looks like a blunder IMHO.
jecenth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 19:10   #5
BHPian

Re: Ford considering producing EVs in India. EDIT: Drops plans

FORD! - Enough is enough. Please leave us once for all. We don't want to see your face anymore.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 00:19   #6
BHPian

I guess it was never Ford India plans. The topic was hyped just to console customers by trending #WeAreCommittedToServe .
All these fake promises are made by OEMs, and then publicised by fanboys too but, at the end we all know where the truth stays.
Old 13th May 2022, 02:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Ford drops India plans for EV exports.

In an official response Ford India spokesperson confirmed and said "After careful review, we have decided to no longer pursue EV manufacturing for exports from any of the Indian plants. We remain grateful to the Government for approving our proposal under the Production-Linked Incentives and for being supportive while we continued our exploration."
Read as, "please don't punish us."

I feel for the people who thought that Ford was serious about their EV plans in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecenth View Post
Quitting business in a developing country when everyone else wants a share looks like a blunder IMHO.
Who's everyone else?

Good reads,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ive-study.html (The rise and fall of Ford India | The most comprehensive study)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...at-reason.html (Big companies leaving India or retaining limited presence - What is the reason?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ing-india.html (Why Auto Makers are struggling in India)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ive-india.html (Why are USA car companies unable to sustain and survive in India?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...its-india.html (64,000 jobs lost due to automaker exits in India)
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 07:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

Who's everyone else?

MG,KIA,BYD,GWM,Citroen,Tesla.

I'm sure the list would increase in the coming years.

Kia is a profitable company within a span of 2 years of operation in India.

Companies quitting India is a short-sighted decision. I'm sure those companies would consider a come back in the upcoming decade.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th May 2022 at 07:55. Reason: fixed the quote
jecenth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecenth View Post
I'm sure the list would increase in the coming years.

...I'm sure those companies would consider a come back in the upcoming decade.
Had there been no Doklam incident and President Xi been in "Arre yaar" terms with New Delhi, we would have been witnessing a plethora of Chinese cars, just like those smartphones. Our beloved admins GTO and party would have been to find time to review a new car every week.

I'm not sure about Ford and GM. These two companies will eventually turn into (North American) regional players with "some" exports. Much like our Mahindra or Proton Malaysia.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 13th May 2022 at 11:41.
sandeepmdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 22:28   #10
BHPian

Whenever I see Ford, This is what comes to my mind:

Name:  images 7.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  24.8 KB
CarNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 19:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

A day after Ford made it known that it was not going to revive its India plans through production of electric vehicles, police were quickly deployed outside the Maraimalainagar plant near Chennai.

Ford drops plans to make EVs in India (for exports)-smartselect_20220517190235_twitter.jpg

Quote:
Though there were reports of small protests inside the facility, it looks like a lost battle to the 2,500 workforce in the Chennai Ford plant.
Quote:
“We were asked to come over to make sure nothing amiss would happen. So far, things are calm and peaceful,” a cop told
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 17th May 2022 at 19:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks