Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2022, 16:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hackers targeting EV charging stations; Pose an increasing risk to vehicles

As electric vehicle sales increase across the world, EV charging stations are becoming a new target for hackers.

Hackers targeting EV charging stations; Pose an increasing risk to vehicles-evchargingstations.jpg

According to reports, the past few months have seen a rise in charging station hacking incidents. These include instances where hackers would load ransomware in chargers in order to either slow them down or stop its functionality altogether. Reports also suggest that hackers can lockout & hold a user's profile for ransom or even hack themselves into a charger and save on the charging fees. Yoav Levy, CEO of Upstream Security - an Israeli automotive cybersecurity provider, stated that hacks into the EV chargers have already started, with hackers mainly looking to make money.

However, reports also state that apart from the EV charging stations being vulnerable, cars are also being hacked into by outside operators for nefarious purposes. With technology like Over-the-air updates becoming common on today's cars, it makes it easier for hackers to gain access to vehicles. According to Levy, 80% of all hacks in 2021 were conducted remotely - without a physical connection between the hacker and the vehicle or charging station. He also mentions that eventually, hackers could target large fleet vehicles and ask for high ransom amounts.

Levy also stated that while security will get better with improvement in technology, right now, hackers are seeing a golden opportunity to make quick money.

Source: Automotive News

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 19:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Hackers targeting EV charging stations; Pose an increasing risk to vehicles

Pegasus spyware is the proof that any piece of technology is safe until it is breached. I would anyday prefer a non connected car. Thankfully there are lots of nerds (read privacy advocates) out there who will find one or the other way out eg. physically removing the sim or signal receiver in a car.
To the people who ask, 'But what about the smartphone you use? You are giving away data yourself. How is the car different?'
Well I use a Chinese phone (Guilty as charged) Mi11x but I don't use Miui. My device is running on a reputed & degoogled custom rom. Using a smartphone and being in a car having 200HP which can be hacked remotely are two very different things.

Last edited by Siddarth_Ramani : 16th May 2022 at 19:24. Reason: Grammar
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 12:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Pegasus spyware is the proof that any piece of technology is safe until it is breached. I would anyday prefer a non connected car. Thankfully there are lots of nerds (read privacy advocates) out there who will find one or the other way out eg. physically removing the sim or signal receiver in a car.
To the people who ask, 'But what about the smartphone you use? You are giving away data yourself. How is the car different?'
Well I use a Chinese phone (Guilty as charged) Mi11x but I don't use Miui. My device is running on a reputed & degoogled custom rom. Using a smartphone and being in a car having 200HP which can be hacked remotely are two very different things.
Hi Siddarth,
Can you let me know which reputed and de-googled custom rom you are using in your android smartphone. Thanks.
Old 17th May 2022, 13:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Hi Siddarth,
Can you let me know which reputed and de-googled custom rom you are using in your android smartphone. Thanks.
Lineage OS. It's very famous in custom rom community. Previously it was known as CyanogenMod which used to be in OnePlus devices. Besides you can de Google any custom rom. But this one is stable, well optimised and I'm yet to find a bug.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 15:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Lineage OS. It's very famous in custom rom community. Previously it was known as CyanogenMod which used to be in OnePlus devices. Besides you can de Google any custom rom. But this one is stable, well optimised and I'm yet to find a bug.
I also have a Xiaomi phone and also have put a custom ROM.

You do not use any Google products like Gmail / Maps / Android Auto?

I like and use Google products, for me not being able to use Google Maps or Android Auto while driving feels like I am deliberately handicapping myself for very small gains. But to each his own.

Anyone who uses GPS also shares their location (perhaps anonymously) and a lot of people benefit from this for live traffic updates etc.

I think connected tech is the future, how long can someone resist it?
Chrome6Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 18:55   #6
BHPian

I have an old phone which I use for navigation. As for other apps ( Gmail, YouTube) I do use them because I'm ok with the data they collect. No matter what we think, connected car *IS* the future. I'm ok with connected car. An autonomous car which is connected to internet is not a car, but a potential weapon.
I'm not a sceptical cat though, Let's say I strike a balance between privacy and convenience.
If you want to know what's possible in today's age, watch 'Elementary season 4 episode 9' on Prime Video. I tried to find the cut scene on YouTube, but it isn't available. It is very much possible if you hire top brains.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 23:31   #7
BHPian

99% people don’t bother and happily are willing to part with their privacy and data for freebies or convenience.
Biggest example is Cred.

Anyways back to the topic - We all want OTA. We are too lazy to go to the showroom and get our software updated. Also for companies it is a major cost reduction.

connected cars are really scary and we are going to pay the price for it some day. Who knows some day we may have to pay xx bitcoin just to start our car
drjaygoyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 01:24   #8
BHPian

These situations always remind me of Michael hastings and how he died/killed. Ransom for starting the car can be as low as 100rs/$2.
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 02:16   #9
BHPian

This thread reminds me of the movie 'The Fate of the Furious' where Charlize Theron hacks into the electronics of hundreds of cars and controls them via auto drive. That scene always gives me chills when I think what if it is really possible for a criminal or a hacker to control connected cars or autonomous cars like that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks