Team-BHP > Electric Cars


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2022, 15:12   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
TusharK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,522
Thanked: 40,296 Times
Default Scoop! Toyota begins work on India-specific pure EV

Next week, Toyota will reveal its latest mid-size SUV, which is likely to be called the Urban Cruiser Hyryder. It will be offered with a hybrid powertrain and will take on the Hyundai Creta.

Scoop! Toyota begins work on India-specific pure EV-2022toyotainnovaevconceptfrontgrill.jpg

However, behind the scenes, Toyota is also said to be working on an India-specific pure electric car. We’ve been told that the component engineering is well underway, and the first prototypes are likely to hit the roads sometime next year.

Toyota’s new pure EV will be shared with Suzuki as part of the partnership between the two brands. More details about the new all-electric model are still awaited.

Speaking of Maruti Suzuki, India’s largest carmaker is also gearing up to enter the mid-size SUV space with a new model that shares its underpinnings with the Urban Cruiser Hyryder. Both SUVs will be offered with mild-hybrid and strong hybrid powertrain options.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 25th June 2022 at 15:15.
TusharK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 18:08   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 65,404
Thanked: 252,567 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Toyota begins work on India-specific pure EV

Bring it on, Toyota! You & Maruti can together really capture a good chunk of the EV market if your EVs reflect your petrol car philosophy. Same formula = value-for-money, reliability, excellent after-sales service and a certain level of all-roundedness.

Maruti & Toyota will take their time with this new tech, but once they start mass manufacturing it, there is no stopping the Japanese giants.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 20:48   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 47
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Toyota begins work on India-specific pure EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bring it on, Toyota! You & Maruti can together really capture a good chunk of the EV market if your EVs reflect your petrol car philosophy. Same formula = value-for-money, reliability, excellent after-sales service and a certain level of all-roundedness.

Maruti & Toyota will take their time with this new tech, but once they start mass manufacturing it, there is no stopping the Japanese giants.
Yup, that is what i was hoping for till i came across this article from Reuters.
"Toyota recalls first mass-produced EVs less than 2 months after launch"
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...es-2022-06-23/

Can't find much on this but Reuteurs can't be a rumour.
Are the manufacturers overlooking their rigorous testing & quality benchmarks to try roll out an EV asap?
Attached Images
 
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 06:38   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 496
Thanked: 611 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Toyota begins work on India-specific pure EV

I always get a fey feeling about this "India specific" anything.....More often than not, this ends up being shorthand for more poor specifications, less rigorous standards (especially safety) and odd under-the-skin compromises.

Drive any Maruti car in India and ride the same Suzuki model pretty much anywhere else and you'll get a QED moment.

So no, I am not happy at the "Maruti-ization" of Toyota. This JV is like mixing ghee and cheap dalda. It result is never going to make a better ghee.
Contrapunto is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 09:29   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 2,124 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Toyota begins work on India-specific pure EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
Yup, that is what i was hoping for till i came across this article from Reuters.
"Toyota recalls first mass-produced EVs less than 2 months after launch"
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...es-2022-06-23/

Can't find much on this but Reuteurs can't be a rumour.
Are the manufacturers overlooking their rigorous testing & quality benchmarks to try roll out an EV asap?
Yes, this is a known recall. And I always appreciate it when manufacturers perform a recall rather than sit on it. And the recall is for the nuts of the wheel the last thing you would expect from a manufacturer like Toyota on an EV.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 09:55   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 47
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Toyota begins work on India-specific pure EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
I always get a fey feeling about this "India specific" anything.....More often than not, this ends up being shorthand for more poor specifications, less rigorous standards (especially safety) and odd under-the-skin compromises.
With a tempramental battery you are quite literally sitting on a highly combustible product. i would rather sacrifice any creature comfort or luxury than compromise on that. Hope the manufacturers do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Drive any Maruti car in India and ride the same Suzuki model pretty much anywhere else and you'll get a QED moment.
Have heard this a lot and have felt the remarked differences in CBU & SKD/CKD vs Local units. Hence was hoping to get one of these rather than the local ones (once & if the production starts).
While i know it is quite wrong to be prejudiced but my fear is solely based on the possible compromise on the battery & BMS tech for Indianized versions.
Chances of that happening with a global product seems to be comparatively lower, but more importantly the remediation measures from manufacturers is better ,when an issue is found.
I do not know if it is a possible effect of stricter norms or due to fact that it is for a global customer base who are less tolerant/forgiving to a compromised product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
And the recall is for the nuts of the wheel the last thing you would expect from a manufacturer like Toyota on an EV.
I thought the hub bolt was the regular thing and would be a carry forward from the ICE stuff. Not something i expected to go wrong.
Me guessing -> Unique new hub design for EV cars or the carry-forwarded design of the low weight/tolerance from the lighter weight ICE car on to the heavier EV gave away?

Last edited by EV Fan : 27th June 2022 at 10:04. Reason: Quoted inline to the last post
EV Fan is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks