Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla owner implants key chip in hand to lock/unlock EV & access other functions

Brandan Dalaly, a Tesla owner, has implanted a small chip into his right hand which allows him to lock and unlock his EV. The EV owner recently released a video on social media showing him getting a chip implanted in his hand and then using it to unlock his car.

Tesla owner implants key chip in hand to lock/unlock EV & access other functions-teslakeyimplant2.jpg

The chip is said to be called Vivokey Apex and uses NFC technology. Dalaly is part of a group of 100 people using the chip for beta testing, before being released to the public. The company is said to have its own app store, allowing the chip to install multiple apps wirelessly - including the Tesla Key Card App, which is what Dalaly uses to unlock his car.

Dalaly stated that the chip and the implant cost him $400. He is said to have gotten it done by a professional piercer and was said to be similar to a subdermal piercing.

Tesla owner implants key chip in hand to lock/unlock EV & access other functions-teslakeyimplant1.jpg

Reports suggest that this, however, isn't the first time the Tesla owner has gotten such a chip implanted. Dalaly is said to have another chip on his left hand, which acts as a key to his home and also stores all his important digital documents including his contact info, medical information, his portfolio and some others.

Source: Teslarati

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 23rd August 2022 at 17:30.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 19:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla owner implants key chip in hand to lock/unlock EV & access other functions

World is getting weirder and weirder!
The next thing we know, he might implant a chip to control the steering wheel of the car from its back seat. Because why not, it's a Tesla after all!
TechnoBloop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 19:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tesla owner implants key chip in hand to lock/unlock EV & access other functions

This is the next level of - 'This car really has a connect with me'!

And am sure many people will find this cool and get it done too!
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 20:05   #4
BHPian

The only response I could come up with was "huh???" The list of security issues is literally too long to list down here, so I'll just laugh with the rest of the pack for now.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 20:54   #5
BHPian

In India, we have seen earlobes getting chopped off for stealing gold ear-rings. If this is extrapolated to somebody intending to steal a car, not a good idea.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 20:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of this scene...

Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:23   #7
BHPian

Seems unnecessary, and a publicity stunt. With a bluetooth profile setup, it is already unlocked as one approaches the car. One certainly needs the profile setup so that all the driver settings, seat steering, mirrors switch for the driver. I have never used the chip key in years.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 00:34   #8
BHPian

I am sure now he cannot give any reason to lose his car keys now.

On a serious note, I cannot begin to imagine what would it cause to one's body. Its obviously a foreign body with EMF or some sort of radiation or receiver . I dont think its electronically similar to a heart fib implant or as safe as one.

Are there any studies to show or prove that it is safe to do so? At the minimum , what would be the risk of developing metal poisoning or a tumor / cancer or any health hazard?
Old 24th August 2022, 05:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
I am sure now he cannot give any reason to lose his car keys now.

On a serious note, I cannot begin to imagine what would it cause to one's body. Its obviously a foreign body with EMF or some sort of radiation or receiver . I dont think its electronically similar to a heart fib implant or as safe as one.

Are there any studies to show or prove that it is safe to do so? At the minimum , what would be the risk of developing metal poisoning or a tumor / cancer or any health hazard?
Moreover and as an immediate concern, how easy/safe would it be to extract the chip out should any of these health hazards were to surface, or were he want to ...err just change his car?
Yuval Noah Harrari's connected human is here, and how!
Old 24th August 2022, 06:54   #10
BHPian

A little more and he could have custom made a tail as in Avatar movie.But then, to each his own.

Name:  jpg.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  116.5 KB

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ja...20220530131550
maheshm619 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 16:14   #11
BHPian

Those who think this is wierd forget that Dental Implants, Eye Lens Implants, Stents and other surgical procedures were unheard of before their inventions. However I'd like a fingerprint sensor on the door and a 3D face scan while inside to become normal before such implants. Any technology that actually works, is cost effective and makes life easier is always welcome.
Old 24th August 2022, 16:16   #12
BHPian

Now that's one of the things I won't do for any level of convenience and even if they pay me with (any amount of) discounts

Next invention please.
Old 24th August 2022, 17:19   #13
BHPian

He literally took connected car tech to a whole different level!

May as well get a steering wheel with fingerprint scanner, I’m pretty sure this guy would also want his heart rate and SPO2 levels displayed on the hud right alongside a tachometer.

This is the sole reason I prefer to be an old school car guy.
Old 24th August 2022, 19:22   #14
BHPian

This is some real "Connected car tech" right there.

Jokes apart, there are so many "What If" questions I have with this.
Old 24th August 2022, 21:30   #15
BHPian

Anything for the social media addiction! These can easily get infected or rejected by the body's immune system.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks