Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2022, 15:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla under criminal investigation over self-driving claims

According to a media report, Tesla is under criminal investigation by the Department of Justice in the United States of America over its self-driving car claims.

Reports state that the Justice Department is looking into "whether Tesla misled consumers, investors & regulators by making unsupported claims about its driver-assistance technology's capabilities."

Tesla under criminal investigation over self-driving claims-teslamodel3.jpg

While Tesla has always mentioned that its autopilot technology requires constant monitoring, with drivers ready to take control at all times, the company's CEO, Elon Musk, has been criticised for marketing the features in a way which could confuse the public/potential consumers.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) already has been investigating 16 crashes wherein the Autopilot caused the cars to crash into stationary emergency vehicles, resulting in 15 injuries and 1 fatality. The company is also facing multiple consumer lawsuits over fake advertising, misleading them about the vehicle's capabilities.

However, the investigation by the Justice Department represents a higher degree of scrutiny since Tesla or its executives could be charged criminally. The examination of whether Tesla misled its consumers and made unsupported claims is being done by prosecutors in Washington and San Francisco.

Source: Reuters

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 27th October 2022 at 15:30.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 16:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla under criminal investigation over self-driving claims

Given how stupid the avg joe is, I’m not surprised they’re being investigated for ‘misleading’ customers, it’s not full self driving Tesla and Musk himself has made abundantly clear time and again. Yet drivers keep using it like FSD, the guy who died was watching a Harry Potter movie when his Model S rear ended a semi at high speed. No media attention was given to gross driver negligence and failure to monitor an automated system correctly.

Going by the prosecutions’ logic of faulty autopilot advertising, plane mfg’s also cannot call any level of automation ‘autopilot’, since it’s not actually self flying in that it needs constant monitoring by at least 1 pilot.

Sidenote: no self driving system will be 100% fatality free, there are environmental and mechanical externalities that cannot be eliminated 100%. As long as any automation leads to even a small reduction in crashes and fatality’s compared to a human driven alternative, it should be considered progress. Aim is to reduce road death (hopefully).
AJ56 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 22:30   #3
BHPian

The typical innovator vs regulator cat and mouse game. Tesla will find new ways to carry on, while the government will try to throw blockers.

In general, all companies do a lot of misleading advertising, but I guess tbis path needs to be treaded with extra caution since human lives are at risk.
Old 28th October 2022, 01:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Given how stupid the avg joe is
Not a very enlightening insight or opinion if you ask me. We lived in the USA for many years and Instill travel there on business and family/friends visit. Whereas USA approach to many things is very different from Indian and also by the way European it doesn’t make them stupid. Just different.

Please elaborate why you think the average Joe is stupid? Because I know a lot of people who would see anybody making such claims as a bit of an ill informed bigot.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 28th October 2022 at 01:36.
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 02:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Please elaborate why you think the average Joe is stupid? Because I know a lot of people who would see anybody making such claims as a bit of an ill informed bigot.

Jeroen
Oh I’m not talking about Americans, I’m talking about everyone in general (Tesla is sold in dozens of countries). There are exceptions, but on avg yes most people in the larger non enthusiast car owning population are deeply ignorant of many basic functions and autopilot is no exception.

Just look at how many cars you encounter on a daily basis with both mirrors folded in, one of a dozen examples I can come up with that portray said ignorance. If you want hard numbers, the avg human IQ score is 100, which is stupid enough until you realise 50% of the human species falls under 100 (as IQ is normally distributed by design). An unremarkable, very avg undergrad student is around 110-115 for reference.

Taking US alone, some 16% of the general population has an IQ under 85, which is almost retarded, and given some 330 million currently live in the states, you’re looking at millions of stupid people. Not my opinion, straight facts, you can switch stupid for developmentally challenged if you want to be politically correct.

I will add thay stupidity and ignorance are not interlinked but are highly correlated. Also IQ tests are not perfect but it’s the best measure we have that’s been reliable over the decades.

You’re much older than I am so I don’t think I can convince you if I haven’t already but to me it’s either utopian or naive to ignore such basic facts about humanity.

I suggest looking into Dr. Petersons research in human intelligence and how it affects people globally, if you want more insight.

Last edited by AJ56 : 28th October 2022 at 02:40.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 18:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Oh I’m not talking about Americans, I’m talking about everyone in general (Tesla is sold in dozens of countries). There are exceptions, but on avg yes most people in the larger non enthusiast car owning population are deeply ignorant of many basic functions and autopilot is no exception.

Just look at how many cars you encounter on a daily basis with both mirrors folded in, one of a dozen examples I can come up with that portray said ignorance. If you want hard numbers, the avg human IQ score is 100, which is stupid enough until you realise 50% of the human species falls under 100 (as IQ is normally distributed by design). An unremarkable, very avg undergrad student is around 110-115 for reference.

Taking US alone, some 16% of the general population has an IQ under 85, which is almost retarded, and given some 330 million currently live in the states, you’re looking at millions of stupid people. Not my opinion, straight facts, you can switch stupid for developmentally challenged if you want to be politically correct.

I suggest looking into Dr. Petersons research in human intelligence and how it affects people globally, if you want more insight.
https://Youtu.be/-kVFYzmigx0
Well, I might be old but I am still learning. And one thing I have learned is that being stupid has nothing to do with one’s IQ. In fact most experts would agree IQ is a very limited and ambiguous way of measuring one’s potential in the first place.

With your statement of being retarded by having an IQ below under 85, you have just put more than half of Indian’s population in that corner.

Source: https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...-iq-by-country

I could think of many words that might typify your average Indian, but I would not think of stupid.

I think by revering to Dr. Peterson you have also given me an insight into your way of thinking. Have a great life, it is going to be difficult for you with so many stupid people around you.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 19:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, I might be old but I am still learning. And one thing I have learned is that being stupid has nothing to do with one’s IQ.

With your statement of being retarded by having an IQ below under 85, you have just put more than half of Indian’s population in that corner.

Source: https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...-iq-by-country
The definition of the word stupid is quite literally unintelligent so I fail to see the difference between stupidity and intelligence, unless we’re using some other definition.

That study is laughable, it puts Nepal’s mean IQ at 42. That’s statistically impossible, it’s closer to 80 in reality you can check multiple peer reviewed research papers.

Also it claims the research may be skewed as the researcher, Lynn is claimed to support white supremacy and yet his list of the highest scoring regions by IQ contain only Asian countries in the top 6. Felt more like a troll attempt to me.

In reality, the variance is nowhere near that large. 2/3 of the world population falls between 85-115 and only 2.5% of the world population falls outside of 70-130. If half of India’s population was under 76 (0.7 billion people) as per this article this would be statistically impossible, let alone the dozens of other countries listed under 70.

Jordan Peterson, I don’t understand all the hate for him, all the books, videos I’ve seen till date seem perfectly logical. Care to share why you find him unpalatable?

Last edited by AJ56 : 28th October 2022 at 19:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks