Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 14:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Tata Nano could return in an electric avatar

According to media reports, there are rumours suggesting that Tata Motors could be planning to bring back the Nano in an electric avatar.

Name:  PS59.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  42.9 KB

As per the rumour mill, Tata could upgrade the Nano’s existing platform to support its electric powertrain. It is said that major changes could be made to the car’s suspension and tyres.

Reports also suggest that if the plans to put the Nano EV into production reach fruition, Tata could restart its talks with the Tamil Nadu government regarding the acquisition of Ford’s Maraimalainagar plant.

Tata Motors plans to roll out 10 new models in the next 5 years. The carmaker showcased the Curvv and Avinya concepts earlier this year and also launched its most affordable EV offering, the Tiago EV.

Source: TOI

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 7th December 2022 at 14:05.
TusharK is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano could return in an electric avatar

Not sure if the platform and the design will excite anyone. They need a redesign and also having the name itself could spell doom.
Only the passenger space should be carried forward as specification.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:17   #3
BANNED

If Tata can price it below ₹7 lakhs and have a range of 150 kms, it has reasonable potential for success. Hope a facelift is also on the cards.
The Rationalist is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:43   #4
BHPian

What happened to Tata pelican which was supposed to be a new generation Nano? I think it was shelved because the platform couldn't be updated to the latest safety norm. If that were the case, I highly doubt we could have an electric nano either.
darkfantasy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:45   #5
BHPian

Nano "Classic" had to be retired also because it would not have met the safety/ crash tests- not just because of emission control.

If Tata can bring a safe car designed grounds up on a skateboard platform and prices it well, it should have a good chance of success. I agree with the other post here. A range of ~150 Km and a price not exceeding 7 lakhs should be a great value proposition.

They should not give "space" to Mahindras to bring back the e2O in a different avatar and run away with that market.
Contrapunto is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
They need a redesign and also having the name itself could spell doom.
Agree completely, the skin and name needs to change to disassociate it from the commercial failure that was the Nano. Perhaps they can call it the Electron , small and powered by electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Not sure if the platform and the design will excite anyone.
For me at least, its my perfect future city car. Compact outside and spacious inside, easy to maneuver, easy to park, light on the pocket.

Last edited by lordrayden : 7th December 2022 at 15:13.
lordrayden is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
For me at least, its my perfect future city car. Compact outside and spacious inside, easy to maneuver, easy to park, light on the pocket.
Exactly my thoughts! With so many organizations promoting EV vehicles, there is a very high potential of a NANO like car succeeding especially for city commute needs. I will definitely look forward to purchasing one as a second car- if and when it is available.
rahul_dg123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow!!!

The dream that I had before the Nano was launched. Always saw it as a cute little BEV city car. Ofcourse, it had to be petrol engined IRL, but there were many rumours in the years before the launch where they said anything from electric to running on compressed air.

Hope it isn't like a Safari 2.0, and they really make a fresh product from scratch. Skateboard with rear mounted motors.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:42   #9
BHPian

As a very happy owner of the current petrol Nano in its XT/manual gear trim, I would be happy to see Tata re-launch this cute bug in its electric avatar , with airbags & better safety.

Perhaps Tata goofed up with the initial launch, projecting Nano as THE cheapest car; but as a person who values practicality & not what "log kya kahenge", I couldn't care less about the perception & not enjoy driving this marvel all these years. It is the perfect solution for city commute.

Once my '15 Nano is in a must-be-scrapped situation, would be happy to consider the new electric Nano as my 2nd car, and would be more pleased if they retain that moniker itself!

OTOH, if Tata has any plans to provide a conversion kit, I'd be also happy to plonk it onto mine & "electrify" it.
KrisTvpm is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nano was touted as an example of frugal engineering but with the benefit of hindsight it was poorly engineered (with extreme cost cutting), nor did its low price shine through in acceptance by the market

Its real (and only) USP was the packaging of useable interior space in a compact footprint and what better way to base an agile, compact BEV for the city on!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:54   #11
BHPian

IIRC, this is the third time Nano is coming back in electric form, at least in Team-Bhp.

Clickbait article with a figment of imagination born in the journos mind. There is no scoop to even have this as a thread.
RaghuVis is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 17:44   #12
BHPian

I had been to Prerana Motors Service center at Peenya, Bangalore last December (2021). Saw few Electric Nano's parked there gathering dust. They all had the "Neo" tag (Jayem Neo Electric) in place of T. I have always hope to convert my Nano to EV so I wish TATA/Jayam Motors at least provide a conversion kits for us.
T-Bone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 18:06   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I have always hope to convert my Nano to EV so I wish TATA/Jayam Motors at least provide a conversion kits for us.
It's been a year now, but may be you could have asked them to check what the issue was with these cars, and if you could pick up one of them - if at a knock-off price.

If not Tata, there are other vendors which are converting vehicles to EV avatar. Their conversion wont be cheap, but may be worth at least checking it out.

Last edited by condor : 7th December 2022 at 18:08.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 18:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, if this is true, then it will be one of the best decisions that Tata would be taking in the EV space.

Small EVs are a golden opportunity waiting to be tapped. The Wuling Hongguang Mini EV in China is a perfect example of a success story -

Within the first six months in the market, the Mini EV sold 119,255 units in 2020, and ranked as China's and the world's second best selling plug-in car after the Tesla Model 3. Sales till date are well over 500,000.

Source : link
ninjatalli is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 18:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

If they don't change the dimension and give an EV version, most existing Tata Nano customers will happily exchange theirs and buy the EV. The most useful car ever made in India.
VW2010 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks