Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2023, 11:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra THAR.e Vision: A Close Look

My main issue with the design is that I am struggling to see how is this the next iteration of Thar? There is no evolution and it's like they started from scratch.

When Thar 2020 was launched, Mahindra talked about carrying forward flappy door handles and that front and rear fenders are different - square and rounded. Few things that make Thar unique and different from wrangler. This could be called anything and absolutely no one will refer to it as Thar EV.
Old 24th August 2023, 11:43   #17
BHPian

Would love to buy a diesel version of this
They are not showing the frame with battery housing anywhere. Hope that will not alter the design too much.
Old 24th August 2023, 11:45   #18

I am really curious to understand the battery range. If someone has to take it off-road, will they be able to run with a single charge? Assuming switching to 4x4 will even drain the battery faster.

Probably, Jerrycans will be soon replaced with battery cans , but how easy would it be to swap a battery..we will have to wait and see.
offroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:02   #19
BHPian

It is a radical design for sure and I for one love the concept. Looks are of course subjective so we each will have our own opinion. However judging by the responses, the design itself has caused a stir on our forum much like how the Thar itself was hyped way before its arrival. Mahindra indeed has mastered the game of engaging with users and throws just about enough at the right time to keep everyone hooked on for more.

Like someone said before, if even 80% of the concepts materialize in the real world then Mahindra will be doing a repeat of Thar's runway success right from the word go. The dashboard and overall interiors make you want it right now and I truly hope it is translated in the same way in the production version. It would also do Mahindra a lot of good if they study brands like Rivian to see how trunk, frunk and God knows what all spaces can be created in a 'born electric' vehicle. At the very least the front should have a good frunk which apparently very few manufacturers seem to provide. In that sense new age startups like Rivian are really disrupting the game.

All said and done, after getting so excited with what the future holds, to see that this future does not come before 2026 or even later, if we go by GTO's suggestion of avoiding early version, all the build-up and excitement just fizzles out.
Old 24th August 2023, 13:37   #20
BHPian

Mr Bose has done a wonderful job in recreating a new Thar. It's minimal and rugged design element makes it look so appealing. Hope the steering wheel had a different design, it looks identical to the upcoming Tata products.
Old 24th August 2023, 13:52   #21
BHPian

So the current Thar will be the last one to look like a Jeep. I guess they’ve thrown in the towel in hopes of gaining access to a larger audience abroad. But the iconic Jeep look will no longe be available at an affordable price, which is sad. I think they’ve cleverly managed to retain a bit of the Jeep vibe though, with the flared fenders particularly. But not so much that they’ll get sued again!
Old 24th August 2023, 14:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Fenders are also claimed to be modular and swappable between the front and rear. However, I was not able to figure out this one well!
Attachment 2492844
I think by Fenders, they meant these black parts marked in red.
Mahindra THAR.e Vision: A Close Look-img_1809.jpg

The Front Right one is swappable with Rear Left one and Vice-Versa
Beta_Blocker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 15:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
They are not showing the frame with battery housing anywhere. Hope that will not alter the design too much.
The battery will be housed in the dark grey frame under next to step under the floor, it was mentioned by Pratap Bose in an interview.
Old 24th August 2023, 15:56   #24
cka
BHPian

From looking like a "Jeep" to now looking like a "Hummer". Its a beautiful transition. I loved the design language.
cka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 19:42   #25
AZT
BHPian

I like the design except for the red "e". It is definitely inspired from the Hummer and expect to see side by side images comparing the two.

I'm curious to see the price point for this and the range.
Old 25th August 2023, 13:00   #26
d.j
BHPian

Am buying even if they do about 80% of the design, same time, feel the fenders/wheel arches are protruding way too much, all said, I am buying some Mahindra shares too, really inspired by the way they as a passenger car product company are evolving and have made themselves desirable to any car/SUV buyer, hope they do continue to progress into it!

DJ
Old 29th August 2023, 08:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have mixed feeling about The THAR.e Design. Given that this just a design exercise, some amount of design liberty is used only for shock and awe and that's ok.

Viewed in bits, there are some fantastic design elements.
The side steps look great
the A pillar extension into the body is a very nice element
Interiors- the door cards, the Dashboard.
The C Pillar treatment.

All these look great.

However, The design treatment of the wheels, wheel surrounds, those pinched fenders have all gone out of whack. They just don't work and make the whole car look disproportionate. Proportions- this is what the eye catches first.

Having said that, this is a dream for the future. I'm sure practically everything will change by then. We'll wait and see how Mahindra evolves this design.
Old 15th September 2023, 08:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar.e, BE EVs to be powered by VW APP550 electric motor.

The next-generation motor comes with a significant step up in performance as well as thermal efficiency. If the volumes are good VW will localize the APP550 motor in India to contain the cost.

Quote:
The new APP550 electric motor delivers 210kW (286hp) and a maximum of 550Nm of torque, a significant step up from the previous motor that produced 150kW (201hp) and 310Nm of torque.

The current is a decisive factor for the power of an electric drive unit, for which VW employed an improved inverter, which is able to supply the high phase currents needed for greater power, acting as the controlling ‘brain’ in the powertrain.

The APP550 electric drive unit achieves its higher torque output thanks to an enhanced stator with a higher effective number of windings and a larger wire cross-section. Additionally, the rotor comes equipped with more powerful magnets that have a higher load capacity. The electric drive unit also required additional reinforcing to withstand the higher power and torque outputs.

Thermal management is key for higher efficiency of an electric drive unit – the APP550 motor operates without an electrically driven oil pump, and is instead able to independently cool itself via the gear wheels of the gearbox and specially formed components for oil supply and distribution. The heated oil is cooled by the vehicle’s coolant circuit, which keeps the drive at operating temperature. The outside of the stator is equipped with a water heat sink.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th September 2023 at 08:51.
Old 31st October 2023, 08:02   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar electric homologated.

Mahindra THAR.e Vision: A Close Look-mahindratharelectrichomologatedlaunch20242.jpg

Mahindra THAR.e Vision: A Close Look-mahindratharelectrichomologatedlaunch20241747x420.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st October 2023 at 08:04.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 16:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15

Mahindra Thar.e electric SUV design patent filed

Mahindra showcased the Thar.e electric SUV in August this year. The carmaker has now patented the design of the vehicle. The patent was filed on August 10, 2023.

Mahindra THAR.e Vision: A Close Look-getcaptchaimage-2.jpg

The Thar.e concept EV is based on the all-new INGLO platform. The car has a rectangular front fascia with square LED headlamp units and a rugged front bumper. The slab side rear end of the Thar.e features square LED tail lights, a tailgate-mounted spare wheel and flared wheel arches.

Inside, the Thar.e gets a minimalistic dashboard with a central touchscreen and a digital instrument cluster. The 3-spoke steering wheel has haptic switches and the 'Thar.e' logo in the centre.

Mahindra hasn’t revealed the technical details of the Thar.e. That being said, we do know that the electric Thar will offer a ground clearance of 250-300 mm with short overhangs measuring 640-680 mm in the front and 680-740 mm at the rear. Its wheelbase will be around 2,775 mm to 2,975 mm.

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks