Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2023, 15:03   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Can you reduce the charging rate of an Electric Car charger?

Hi Guys,

I just received my Exicom charger for my Ioniq 5. Not yet set up but I had a query. It's designed to be 11 kW. Can you reduce the amperage of charging and set it to charge at say 7 kW if you want to stay within sanctioned load?

Anyone else faced an issue like this? How often will you be penalised by BESCOM [BLR] if you occasionally cross your sanctioned load?

I thought that I had 15 kW sanctioned load but it seems that I have only 12.

I know that level 2 chargers supplied with cars abroad are such that the amperage can be adjusted to reduce charging speed.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th November 2023 at 12:14. Reason: SMS language
nidhikapoor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 18:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Can you reduce the charging rate of an Electric Car charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Hi Guys,

I just recd my Exicom charger for my Ioniq 5. Not yet set up but had a query. It's designed to be 11kw. Can you reduce the amperage of charging and set it to charge at say 7kw if you want to stay within sanctioned load?
I am not sure but when we met in person, EV_Fan said something to that effect for Kona. But that was to make it charge on a 5 amp plug and it is a feature of the car. I am sure Ioniq will have similar system. Nexon does not have it. In any case the electricity provider will not allow you to claim a smaller wattage than what is written on the wall unit. So this point is moot.
Old 7th November 2023, 19:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I am not sure but when we met in person, EV_Fan said something to that effect for Kona. But that was to make it charge on a 5 amp plug and it is a feature of the car. I am sure Ioniq will have similar system. Nexon does not have it. In any case the electricity provider will not allow you to claim a smaller wattage than what is written on the wall unit. So this point is moot.
The electricity provider will not be involved. I have 12kw sanctioned and this is 11 so that's not an issue. I would like to reduce the charging to say 7kw so that my total usage stays within 12 at any given time, and 7kw is fast enough for me. So, the point is far from moot.

From what I have read, it is not a feature of the car but of the chargers sold abroad, and I'm not sure if Exicom provides the feature or not.
Old 7th November 2023, 19:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I just recd my Exicom charger for my Ioniq 5. N Can you reduce the amperage of charging and set it to charge at say 7kw if you want to stay within sanctioned load?

I thought that I had 15kw sanctioned load but it seems that I have only 12.
Check if Hyundai has something similar to Kia? This guy talks about limiting charging current. No experience with BESCOM, but I wont be surprised if they do penalise.

Old 7th November 2023, 19:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Check if Hyundai has something similar to Kia? This guy talks about limiting charging current. No experience with BESCOM, but I wont be surprised if they do penalise.

https://Youtu.be/TLg1IEA8gKw?si=_SvwGUQcMbOkhKZb
I found out that they do penalise by charging you double the fixed charges for the number of KW that you exceed your sanctioned load by.

I know that in the US where they have had charging port heating issues [due to charging at 220, while we charge at 440], they have the ability to reduce the amperage of the charger.

Will check the Ioniqs setting for this though. Thanks.
Old 7th November 2023, 20:04   #6

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I just recd my Exicom charger for my Ioniq 5. Not yet set up but had a query. It's designed to be 11kw. Can you reduce the amperage of charging and set it to charge at say 7kw if you want to stay within sanctioned load?

Anyone else faced an issue like this? How often will you be penalised by BESCOM [BLR] if you occasionally cross your sanctioned load?

I thought that I had 15kw sanctioned load but it seems that I have only 12.

I know that level 2 chargers supplied with cars abroad are such that the amperage can be adjusted to reduce charging speed.
1. Yes, Exicom chargers have this possibility. Ask the installation team, they have some firmware settings to make it a 7kw charger if you want. This is a fixed setting though and can be changed only by installation experts (i.e., it's not user configurable to change few times by yourself).

2. See if you have a possibility of "declaring" unusual activity with BESCOM. The standard home meters are capable of handling upto 15kw load. Even if you charge at 11kw and run a heavy equipment in home, it won't trip. All activity above sanction load will get reported though and they can choose to penalise if they wish. In Maharashtra, I have self-declared EV usage on their website since I am running 7kw charger for my 7.5kw sanctioned load. I haven't been flagged yet, but I have declaration reference number if the need arises.

Hope this helps!
oakpr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 19:12   #7
BHPian

The AC Fast charger needs to be programmed by the technician and we do not have options to modify it. It can set to 7.2 or even 3.3KW. This is the Ideal solution.

Alternatively, there is an option in the "EV" settings (Gear Icon) to control how much current the on board system pulls in. This effectively reduces the charging load...
This is applicable for portable charger & AC wall mount charger provided by Hyundai only.
This can be seen at 4;30 mins in the video

So you can set it to "Reduced" or "Minimum" in the "Charging Current" option. It takes 2-3 seconds before the new charging Wattage is displayed. You can decide what wattage works best for you.
But remember to revert to maximum once the wall box is derated by the technician.

The portable charger has a physical Current limit button as well. This needs to be set with the charger ON but before being connected to the vehicle.

Another improvised option is to utilize the schedule charging option to charge the vehicle during time when the load from home appliances is the lowest.
Example - I set the charging to start at 11:30PM when we go to sleep. so almost no load and the EV can charge at full wattage. I have set the charging to stop in morning by the time when we wake up.
So in effect it uses the Off-Peak charging system, to charge when you expect 11KW load to be free..
But this is not an ideal solution.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 11:58   #8
BHPian

The Exicom Spin app has a way to reduce charge speed. Connect the app to charger via bluetooth, validate the serial number on their database and you can change it at will.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to do so - the charger is in the basement with no internet connectivity.

Check the screenshot from the app store.
Attached Thumbnails
Can you reduce the charging rate of an Electric Car charger?-screenshot_20231112115724.png  

sidoxic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 12:41   #9
BHPian

Reduce the charging rate in the car's EV settings to minimum.
That will draw only 7kW from the 11kW charger.
I have already made this change in mine.

All Hyundai/Kia cars have this setting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks