Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2023, 18:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Two long road-trips in 3 weeks, with my brand-new Tata Nexon Empowered

Congratulations on the new buy. Seems you are enjoying your empowered to the max

Keep us updated with overall ownership.

Last edited by gauravdgr8 : 14th November 2023 at 18:02. Reason: Spelling
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 00:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
That’s literally just 127 km, only half of what the range displayed! Any reason as to why the sharp drop? Will have to read up more on this. In my experience with our E2O, 100 km display range meant atleast 90 km, 80 km if with AC, 70 on the highway.

Tata recently released a bulletin having a long lists of dos and donts after a couple of incidents involving high voltage warning breakdowns went viral. On that thread itself was many new things I did not know about with their EVs. Personally these many things to keep in mind instead of them optimising their software/hardware is what is discouraging many away as it’s not an enjoyable experience. If my Samsung M51 can train it’s battery to last longer (auto cutoff at 85% while charging, my iPhone 13 adjusts itself to the charging cycles). I know the difference is big but these should too.
I think Cruise Control is a disguised range killer. I used to put my ZS on cruise control and watch the numbers drop within minutes. On the contrary, release the throttle, allow some regen, give some more input, it's the inconsistency that these cars thrive on. Explains why they are way more practical for city dwelling.
Arnav612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 07:53   #18
BHPian

Curious -- Has the DC charging speed of Nexon EV improved with the new facelift?
Old 15th November 2023, 09:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
I think Cruise Control is a disguised range killer. I used to put my ZS on cruise control and watch the numbers drop within minutes. On the contrary, release the throttle, allow some regen, give some more input, it's the inconsistency that these cars thrive on. Explains why they are way more practical for city dwelling.
Yes Cruise control is pretty bad when it comes to range particularly on undulating roads.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ce-behind.html (Aggressive regen can actually reduce an EV's range on the highway | The science behind it)

Even on flat surface it seems to be bad. I have never got anything below 125-130 Wh/Km using CC but otherwise I routinely get 110 Wh/km on Nexon Max
Old 16th November 2023, 13:58   #20

I have no idea why the range went down drastically. I for sure cannot trust taking an EV anywhere remotely out of city. As fellow BHPians have pointed out it could be cruise control or other parameters we need to adapt to for EV's to get better range.
Old 16th November 2023, 14:01   #21

It is a relatively new car,1 year old with about 13000 kms.
Old 19th November 2023, 06:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
Curious -- Has the DC charging speed of Nexon EV improved with the new facelift?
No, they haven't changed either battery or FC speed which remains at max about 30kwh per hour. Actually lesser - it takes 1hr 40min for 10% to 100%, 1 hr from 20% to 80. So variable.

And we can't even hope to have latter firmware changes that can improve this because it will depend on battery itself, controller etc.
Old 19th November 2023, 06:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
Also, we really can have great EVs with combination of:
- Smaller battery with 200kms range. Rhis should be totally predictable and not subject to driving conditions erc.
- 10 min charging for this range.120kw chargers by default..
- Optimizarions in the way we charge. One shouldn't have to come out of car.. So 10 min and no extra time.

If we can get this much from battery technology, EV range anxiety is solved problem We can have 30kwh batteries, and thus cheaper EVs.
privin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 11:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by privin View Post
As soon as I got the car, the first task was to create a 20m cable extension box using 3 core, 2.5sqmm wire with a MCB in it. In addition, I added a switch to disable plug-point earth, and thus connect external earth connection if need be. I used this cable with home charger, and it worked perfectly fine, and then went around Mysore (and nearby places).
As an ev owner for the past 2+ years, my sincere request to you and other new users is to please not use these extension cords as the norm when you go on a trip. South KA in mysore, kushalnagar, sakleshpur, hassan etc have enough chargers. Please plan your trips using public DC fast chargers or AC chargers pre-installed at destinations.

Use these extension cord jugaad setups ONLY in emergencies. If you start a fire, you will ruin it for everyone and it is very easy to start a fire especially with the default charger that comes with Nexon. It pulls 12-13 Amps. 15Amp domestic sockets are not designed to provide 13Amps continuously for hours. They are designed for intermittent loads like AC/Heater etc. Add the resistance from the long cables and improperly installed sockets at hotels/homestays and you have a recipe for disaster.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 11:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
As an ev owner for the past 2+ years, my sincere request to you and other new users is to please not use these extension cords as the norm when you go on a trip. South KA in mysore, kushalnagar, sakleshpur, hassan etc have enough chargers. Please plan your trips using public DC fast chargers or AC chargers pre-installed at destinations.

Use these extension cord jugaad setups ONLY in emergencies. If you start a fire, you will ruin it for everyone and it is very easy to start a fire especially with the default charger that comes with Nexon. It pulls 12-13 Amps. 15Amp domestic sockets are not designed to provide 13Amps continuously for hours. They are designed for intermittent loads like AC/Heater etc. Add the resistance from the long cables and improperly installed sockets at hotels/homestays and you have a recipe for disaster.
The extension cord has to be well designed with proper design knowledge from experts. tthe cord will be required as a stop-gap only because we may not know,nin advance, the state of the public chargers. Indeed, in Sakleshpur, I did use public fast charging.

I did suggest the resort owner to consider creating a charging point in their parking. This has to be of course done by a good electrician.

We also may use extension cords in relatives homes, or own home as well (depending on own situation). In my experience at two places, I verified the type of wiring, and was very watchful. Yes, the wiring may become bit warm. But no more.
Also, when you are using this, one shouldn't simultaneously be using other high energy gadgets.
privin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks