Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2023, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Is road tax mandatory if you transfer your EV out of a zero-road-tax state?

I got an EV this year and paid zero road tax on it because it was purchased in Delhi. I understand a bunch of other states have no road tax on EVs as well.

If I were to move to a state that does have road tax on EVs, like Telangana (which recently brought back road tax on EVs), would the transfer of the car involve me now paying road tax to the govt? The expense could/will run into several lakhs for everyone in such a situation, right?
Old 27th November 2023, 09:18   #2
BHPian

re: Is road tax mandatory if you transfer your EV out of a zero-road-tax state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huygens View Post
would the transfer of the car involve me now paying road tax to the govt?
Yes, the road tax need to be paid while getting new RC & HSRP.

I moved my vehicle from Karnataka (no road tax for EV's) to Kerala (5% road tax).
I had to pay the depreciated rate of the 5%(as vehicle was 4 years old).
Do note the NOC+NCRB generation & RC/HSRP change needs to happen within a month.
It was a smooth process and the RTO in Kerala atleast was quick & quite helpful.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 09:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
Do note the NOC+NCRB generation & RC/HSRP change needs to happen within a month.
Isn't the permitted wait time 12 months?
Old 27th November 2023, 12:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think this is true. I shifted my 2 wheeler from TN to KL this year, I applied for NOC in April and applied to re-registration after 5 months+. No questions were raised. I am yet to complete the process.

How did you manage to get the new HSRP in KL? I was asked to contact vehicle showrooms to get an HRSP by the agent. A guy i met at RTO offered the punching type number plates, but I didn't go ahead with his offer since I cannot verify whether this is HSRP or the old type.

Last edited by d.w.w. : 27th November 2023 at 12:03. Reason: fixed quote
Old 27th November 2023, 12:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huygens View Post
Isn't the permitted wait time 12 months?
Permitted yes, 6 months though not 12 is what i was told. But after 1 month they would start applying a surcharge/fine. Rs500 late payment fees is applicable for 4 wheelers and Rs300 for 2wheelers.
NCRB has to be latest though.
I did not use an agent and the RTO personnel were guiding me, so i just went with their word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.w.w. View Post
I dont think this is true. I shifted my 2 wheeler from TN to KL this year, I applied for NOC in April and applied to re-registration after 5 months+. No questions were raised. I am yet to complete the process.
Can you verify if any late fine or surcharges were applied. They give a breakup (line item-wise) for the applicable charges. if you don't ask for the breakup they just tell you only the final amount.
For me it was just the 2 line items - Fees+Road Tax(depreciated)

Quote:
How did you manage to get the new HSRP in KL?
From what i was told, all old vehicles manufactured before April 2019 can still get the old type of plates with new number if they want.
Vehicles manufactured after April 2019, can only do HSRP. Only the authorized vehicle dealers are allowed to prepare HSRP as of now(apparently some stay order for 3rd party vendors). So contact any of the dealers and they can prepare it for you, i think it costed 1K.
And importantly the dealer needs to upload the HSRP installed status with photos before RC gets dispatched. I had to follow up with the dealer to get it done. The RTO was actually very cooperative and prompt with the process & status updates.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 14:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Can you verify if any late fine or surcharges were applied.
I haven't collected the receipts from the agent yet. Will definitely check once I have them.
Old 28th November 2023, 10:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
It was a smooth process and the RTO in Kerala atleast was quick & quite helpful.
Quote:
Yes, the vehicle needs to be re-registered within a month. It can also be registered late but do note that you have to pay a fine of ₹500 every month for four wheelers after the first month. Our WagonR was brought from Maharashtra to Kerala in August 2017, after getting NOC in July 2017. Though they didn't collect the fine back then, they sent a letter home last year stating that we hadn't payed this fine and I had to go to RTO office pay the late fine. The lapse was discovered after an audit at the office.

Check the fine from Kerala MVD website.

Is road tax mandatory if you transfer your EV out of a zero-road-tax state?-screenshot_20231128102355.png

Last edited by RR96 : 28th November 2023 at 10:27.
RR96 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks