Team-BHP - DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Electric Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/)
-   -   DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles" (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/274967-delorean-designer-giorgetto-giugiaro-calls-tesla-cybertruck-picasso-automobiles.html)

According to a media report, Giorgetto Giugiaro, the designer of the iconic DeLorean, feels the recently launched Tesla Cybertruck is "the Picasso of automobiles".

The Tesla Cybertruck is the first stainless steel vehicle produced since the DeLorean & Giugiaro expects the electric pickup to be "hugely successful because people want to stand out."

DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-cybertruck.jpg

Speaking in an interview, the DeLorean designer stated, "It does not represent the search for harmony and perfection but for emotion and robustness." He further added, "Everyone wants to distinguish themselves. It's a market necessity, and the Cybertruck will surely be successful, I'm sure of it. I'm convinced it will find its admirers."

Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla even admitted earlier that the DeLorean was one of the vehicles that inspired the Cybertruck design. The DeLorean is an iconic vehicle from the 80s and was brought to fame after it appeared in the "Back to the Future" movie series.

As for the Cybertruck itself, Musk has big plans for the vehicle. Recently, the CEO even announced a "mod package" for the electric pickup, which can turn the Cybertruck into a boat.

Source: Autoblog

Link to Team-BHP news

Quote:

Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj (Post 5687378)
According to a media report, Giorgetto Giugiaro, the designer of the iconic DeLorean, feels the recently launched Tesla Cybertruck is "the Picasso of automobiles".

Perhaps I was living under a rock all this while, but Tesla Cybertruck looks straight out from that game called Minecraft.

By the way, Tesla's cybertruck's only claim to fame is the polarizing looks, or does it indeed have something special to warrant attention?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 5687414)
Perhaps I was living under a rock all this while, but Tesla Cybertruck looks straight out from that game called Minecraft.

How dare you!

DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-screenshot_5.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 5687414)
By the way, Tesla's cybertruck's only claim to fame is the polarizing looks, or does it indeed have something special to warrant attention?

I beg to differ. The Cybertruck is one of the most innovative vehicles even by tesla's standards. Although Elon's overpromising and the truck's delay has dampened the hype quite a bit. Please watch this video as it covers all of it in more detail, besides it is excellent piece of automotive coverage.

Hagerty

New inhouse 4680 cells which are more efficient and hold more energy than their previous battery cells. This also adds to the vertical integration of the car.

48V (Low voltage) architecture - 12V was adopted 70 years ago and with the ever increasing demand for current in today's cars be it infotainment screens, speakers ,powered seats and more. This reduces the cost and weight of wiring in the car. P=VI : I(current is reduced by 4 times, which reduces cross-section of the wire by 4 times). Tesla also adopted the 800V (High Volgate ) architecture.

Steer-by-wire for the first time in a production car. No steering shaft connection to the front wheel. Two redundant motors power the front steering while a single powers the rear wheel steering. This allows tesla to have no hand over hand steering and can dynamically adjust the sensitivity of the steering wheel in low and high speeds.

HFSS Steel as the exoskeleton. This alloy is also made inhouse. It makes the car freaking bullet-proof!! :Shockked:. Keep in mind Tesla makes some of the most safest cars in the world. It has an excellent safety record for the Model S, 3, X, Y.

Quote:

]

The Delorean only became iconic after the company went bust and even then it took quite some years. Very few classic cars enthusiast would consider it a pretty car. It never lived up to his original promise, partly because John had to downgrade a lot of specifications.

Those who own one have learned how to live with the issues of an untreated aluminium car. On top of that, lots of quality issues with every component.

Yes, easy to see the resemblance.��

I am not sure whether being called the Picasso of Automobiles is a compliment or a sneer. I mean, have you ever looked at a Picasso and thought to yourself, I want one!

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by itspatra (Post 5687548)
HFSS Steel as the exoskeleton. This alloy is also made inhouse. It makes the car freaking bullet-proof!!

What is HFSS Steel? Cybertruck uses 300 series stainless steel for the exoskeleton which is an alloy of iron, chromium, nickel and other elements. This is a standard stainless steel used throughout the world in various applications. It is NOT made inhouse at Tesla! Steel is made only in steel manufacturing plants.

Bullet-proof ability is due to the higher thickness of steel and other energy absorbing medium used.

I am a metallurgist :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anshumandun (Post 5687810)
It is NOT made inhouse at Tesla! Steel is made only in steel manufacturing plants.

I seem to have worded it wrong, sorry for that. I meant the steel is a new type of alloy which tesla made.

https://electrek.co/2023/02/24/tesla...el-cybertruck/

I didn't mean is as literally being made by tesla. I am no expert in this matter and appreciate the inputs you provide. My understanding is only based on the few videos and articles I have seen online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 5687585)
The Delorean only became iconic after the company went bust and even then it took quite some years.
I am not sure whether being called the Picasso of Automobiles is a compliment or a sneer. I mean, have you ever looked at a Picasso and thought to yourself, I want one!

Jeroen

Apologies for going off topic but I wanted to make a rejoinder to you.
On your comment, I have a contrarian view.
On John DeLorean. I think he was a cool dude. I LOVE the DeLorean car. It is just such a great piece of design and an icon of style. Having seen a couple of the Back to the Future ones parked on the Universal Studios lot, the reality lived up to my expectations.

(The DeLorean DMC Image here is from the net. I can’t find my pictures and to my eye there is a marked similarity with the Cybertruck for sure.)

DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-img_4354.jpeg

On Picasso. Indeed, I personally greatly appreciate his Art. After seeing Guernica in Madrid, one cannot but be deeply affected by it. And looking at his prolific eclectic art across genres, abstract and still-life's and landscapes and all, his talent is indubitably redoubtable.

(The Guernica Image is off the net- I cant seem to find the one I took with my iPhone XS Max some years ago.)

DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-img_4353.jpeg

The other images of Picasso’s Art are from the Museum in Paris.

DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-img_4751.jpeg
DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-img_4752.jpeg
DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-img_4711.jpeg
DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-img_4712.jpeg
DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-img_4762.jpeg
DeLorean designer Giorgetto Giugiaro calls the Tesla Cybertruck "the Picasso of automobiles"-img_4763.jpeg

Art is a very subjective matter. In my opinion the DeLorean became famous and iconic thanks to the cult nature of the Back to the future series.

As for the cybertruck design, it might be a technological marvel but would i want to have it's poster on my wall...nope.

In my opinion and I am no modern art lover, that thing is a monstrosity and ugly to behold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathwalkr (Post 5687883)
Art is a very subjective matter. In my opinion the DeLorean became famous and iconic thanks to the cult nature of the Back to the Future series.

Those who consider themselves the true DeLorean classic enthusiasts hate the Back to the Future version with a vengeance.

Quote:

On John DeLorean. I think he was a cool dude
He was married four times, was caught dealing cocaine. Many people will point out it was a case of entrapment and he was never convicted. But the fact remained he was dealing in cocaine. No matter what I don't think that is cool, to put it very mildly

His handling of the Delorean company was mediocre at best. He was always blaming the bean counters at GM. But the truth is he was unable to sort his own company finances. That is not cool, that is somebody who is overreaching beyond their own capability and fails to acknowledge it.

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 5687892)
Those who consider themselves the true DeLorean classic enthusiasts hate the Back to the Future version with a vengeance.

Jeroen

Oh ok. No clue about that :)

Anyway, to each his own regarding the cybertruck. Pretty sure it will sell like hot cakes :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 5687585)
Jeroen

From the looks of it, more of a sneer than a compliment. lol:

Quote:

Giugiaro expects the electric pickup to be "hugely successful because people want to stand out."

"It does not represent the search for harmony and perfection but for emotion and robustness." He further added, "Everyone wants to distinguish themselves. It's a market necessity, and the Cybertruck will surely be successful, I'm sure of it. I'm convinced it will find its admirers."

As a fan of the Delorean's looks, it feels an insult for the Delorean to be compared to the Cybertruck.:p Yes, the Delorean looked outlandish in its day, but the wedge shape and gull wing doors were already there in the market, just not in the affordable segments (relatively). Only the stainless steel finish was a standout feature. The Cybertruck on the other hand is as outlandish as it can be. Like how kids' drawings are brought to life. The only reason for the Cybertruck styling is to shock with not one functional use.

Quote:

That is an interesting tidbit. Nevertheless, it was Back to the Future that introduced the Delorean to most and immortalised the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DicKy (Post 5687909)
From
the Delorean looked outlandish in its day, but the wedge shape and gull wing doors were already there in the market, use.

See this matchbox toy - the Planet Scout. I had one of these when I was about 4 years old. To my eye there are a few similarities with the Cybertruck in terms of shape,design etc.

Quote:

Many people will point out it was a case of entrapment and he was never convicted. But the fact remained he was dealing in cocaine..

Jeroen

He was charismatic. And yes there was an entrapment. And Im not qualified to judge 'morals' etc. Can't help admiring his Charisma!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anshumandun (Post 5687810)
What is HFSS Steel?

Tesla calls it Hard Freaking Stainless Steel. The alloy and process gives it’s properties. I am not a metallurgist but an engineer. I came to understand from this SAE article how it differs from regular 300 series and it’s proprietary to Tesla.

I saw in a video of Kim Java where a guy sticks a magnet to the body panel and it does stick. I guess that is due to the presence of Martensites in the proprietary HFSS. May be you could give us some insights?

And this below article is more of an expert piece and hence the thickness is wrong (3mm). In production, Tesla seems to use 1.8mm thickness for doors and 1.2mm for other panels.

Quote:

The sheet specified for Cybertruck has been described as "ultra-hard 30X cold-rolled stainless-steel,” indicating an alloy variant developed from 300-series stainless steel.

A proprietary 301-series stainless steel gives Tesla’s first pickup truck unique sales attributes while saving tooling cost.

Cold rolling makes this material very strong but sacrifices ductility, formability – and styling flexibility.”
Not since Ford’s epic switch to aluminum for its F-Series body structures has an automaker’s materials strategy created such a buzz. Tesla’s decision to use stainless steel for its upcoming Cybertruck, as part of what CEO Elon Musk calls an “exoskeletal” structural design, aims to give the new electric pickup strength and durability beyond that of its competitors. The vehicle is slated to enter production in late 2021, with the tri-motor AWD version following a year later.

Musk described the corrosion-resistant, 3-mm-thick (.118-in) sheet specified for Cybertruck as "ultra-hard 30X cold-rolled stainless-steel,” indicating an alloy variant developed from 300-series stainless steel. This popular class was used by Delorean (304 alloy) in its roughly 10,000 DMC-12 sports cars, and by heavy-truck maker Autocar (302 alloy) in a small-volume run in the 1960s. During the same period Ford also experimented with a few stainless-bodied Thunderbirds and Lincolns, also in 302 alloy. Today’s exhaust pipes typically use ferritic stainless steels.

“Tesla’s strategy with this truck is very interesting,” observed Dr. David Matlock, professor emeritus at the Colorado School of Mines’ Advanced Steel Processing and Products Research Center. Reviewing Musk’s public comments on Cybertruck online, Matlock surmises that the material is “very likely a modified version of the lean-alloyed austenitic 301 alloy.” When this alloy system is deformed or cold-worked, it transforms into a microstructure that includes austenite and martensite, primary constituents for a strong and tough metal.

“The more you deform it, such as cold rolling, the more martensite you get. And that contributes to a significant increase in strength,” he explained. Martensitic high-strength (non-stainless) steels are increasingly used in vehicle structures to increase strength, but they achieve their hardness through heating and quenching as is done in press-hardening steel commonly used in automobiles today. By comparison, the lean austenitic stainless alloys can create martensites by cold-roll-induced transformation at room temperature, Matlock noted.

But while Tesla’s proprietary 30X-alloy stainless skin may endow Cybertruck with industry-leading dent resistance, the material spec and the exoskeleton design force tradeoffs. “Cold rolling makes this material very strong but sacrifices ductility and formability. That means a minimum subsequent metal forming is possible and dictates mostly flat panels and straight character lines,” Matlock said. The truck’s outer body contributes to the strength of the vehicle structure, unlike a conventional body-in-white whose strength comes from controlling the A- and B-pillar geometries and using combinations of press-hardened steels.

As a result, the Tesla truck’s polarizing “planar” styling is either Blade Runner-cool or high-school-metalshop crude, depending on your aesthetic sense. The material characteristics and robust 3-mm sheet thickness (typical steel door panels are on the order of 0.7mm to 1mm) spurred Musk to claim that the “ultra-hard 30X” can break a stamping press. Hyperbolic or not, Tesla has engineered a material and manufacturing solution that requires minimal forming operations, enabling huge potential savings in presses, dies and related operations for its radical new pickup.