Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2024, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Quick overtaking ability is a safety feature of EVs, says Stellantis CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD410 View Post
(brake lamp not illuminating since the driver has not pressed the brake pedal).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Same for in city regen braking. Brake lights do not light up.
It seems to be a myth. Brake light due to regen definitely comes on if deceleration is high. Else if slow down is normal & similar to the engine braking, it doesn't light up.

Quote:
When an EV suddenly accelerates behind me, they're parallel to me often trying to attempt a nasty overtake in tight spots, all within a second or two! They were in my RVM only a second ago. And EVs are driven very harsh. So, quite a few complaints there.
True to some extent. I have also seen many ICE drivers especially CSUVs feel that EV are puny & can be bullied into a corner. I sometimes surprise them with a quick gust & the shocked look on their face & their struggle to catch up with a humble Tiago EV is worth watching.
maverick.vkv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 14:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick.vkv View Post
It seems to be a myth. Brake light due to regen definitely comes on if deceleration is high. Else if slow down is normal & similar to the engine braking, it doesn't light up.
I'm happy to learn the tail lights light up, not sure if the feature has been incorporated recently.

I have had scary situations with two different EVs (Tata and MG) when they suddenly stopped from around 20 something (speeds recorded in Strava) to nearly a stop (barely moving). Both times I was on my cycle beside them in busy traffic. And their brake lights didn't light up.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 2nd February 2024 at 14:48.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 14:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True to some extent. I have also seen many ICE drivers especially CSUVs feel that EV are puny & can be bullied into a corner. I sometimes surprise them with a quick gust & the shocked look on their face & their struggle to catch up with a humble Tiago EV is worth watching.
When I took Nexon EV test drive last week, there is this Taigun driver who gave a slight honk 2-3 times to give way for him, with the car in sports mode at the next speed braker I just accelerated very far away from the Taigun.

It's also very easy to overtake slow moving trucks occupying right lane on city roads where we have to deal with 2W coming in the wrong side, vehicles parked on the road.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 18:35   #19
BHPian

This can be good and bad. I have seen a couple of Kia EV guys misuse the instant torque and regularly use it to over take from left side in Hyderabad. Jerky blistering overtakes and lane cutting thanks to the fast EV!!
XDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 18:42   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

For newbie and untrained drivers, the rapid acceleration is a terrifying feature, not one contributing to safety. Controlling a car, when it accelerates very quickly, is not an easy job. Add to that narrow roads, potholes and slippery surfaces, a complete lack of awareness about the car's braking ability, and torque steer, and we in India are looking to a certain increase in crashes.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 22:29   #21

It is like saying the ability to cover longer distance in a shorter duration for the ICE cars by the virtue of shorter refuel times is a safety feature. Becasue, you reach your homes/destinations sooner and are less likely to spend hours after dusk in the middle of the road on a day long trip and the likelyhood of bad/shady things happening to you are more at night.

A bit strerched, yea? I feel so about either arguments. Both, mine and Mr Tavares'.
Old 3rd February 2024, 00:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder why he didn’t mention range? Limited range, and relatively long refill time is also a safety feature, isn’t it? It ensures the driver takes proper breaks on longer drives.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 10:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Wonder why he didn’t mention range? Limited range, and relatively long refill time is also a safety feature, isn’t it? It ensures the driver takes proper breaks on longer drives.
Well thanks for just providing one more pro to buy an EV!!
Now on a serious note, my Nexon actually alerts me to take a break every 2.5 hours of continuous driving which I feel is actually the right time to take a break and stretch our legs. This also gives you some relaxation after concentrating continously.

It is not macho to say that I am capable of driving 500kms without breaks. Just because you take breaks, it doesn't mean you are not a good driver. I have noticed this stigma with many fellow drivers. It's ok to chill, and enjoy driving also.

Men, your mental health matters too.... Cheers!!!

P.S: The charging times are reducing day by day and will be down to 10-15 mins soon for 200km -300km of range. Amd with the advent of Sodium batteries, the batteries also will last a long time and be cheaper.

Last edited by shamanths3 : 3rd February 2024 at 10:14.
shamanths3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 16:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
To be fair the early Nexon did not have this. Nor did Ioniq 5 in its single pedal mode. As far as I know this has been fixed (even in the early model) with a software patch.
electric_eel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 20:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I'm happy to learn the tail lights light up, not sure if the feature has been incorporated recently.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
To be fair the early Nexon did not have this. Nor did Ioniq 5 in its single pedal mode. As far as I know this has been fixed (even in the early model) with a software patch.
This truly was a concern in the earliest batches, got aggravated especially with tail gaters or in stop & go traffic.

But as electric eel mentioned, it was fixed in later software patch ups. This was in the earlier models and the vehicles after that, are all compulsorily patched up, unless the owner has somehow managed to evade the service centers for a few years.

Recently retested it with a friend on Kona, all modes - all regen levels. The brake lights turn on at Regen Level 2 & 3 but not on the lowest regen level 1.
EV Fan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks