Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2024, 11:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

BYD Atto 3 updated for global markets; Larger touchscreen, new features & colour schemes

Chinese EV maker, Build Your Dreams (BYD) has unveiled an updated version of its popular Atto 3 SUV. The updated BYD Atto 3 features a bunch of new features, along with several cosmetic changes both inside and out.

BYD Atto 3 updated for global markets; Larger touchscreen, new features & colour schemes-2024bydatto31.jpg

Starting from the exterior, the updated BYD Atto 3 EV now features a new 'Cosmos Black' paint scheme. The Atto 3 also loses out on the chrome window surrounds and the silver D-pillar insert, both of which have now been replaced by gloss black trims. The rear now features a shortened 'BYD' lettering, replacing the 'Build Your Dreams' logo seen on the current model. Other changes include newly designed 18-inch alloy wheels.

BYD Atto 3 updated for global markets; Larger touchscreen, new features & colour schemes-2024bydatto32.jpg

Moving inside, the 2024 BYD Atto 3 now features a larger 15.6-inch touchscreen infotainment system at the centre - borrowed from the recently launched BYD Seal sedan. Like the exterior, the cabin on the 2024 model features a new colour scheme of Dark Blue & Black. BYD has also added the Atto 3 with an 'Intelligent Start' system which allows the driver to start the car by just pressing the brake pedal.

Pricing for the updated BYD Atto 3 is yet to be announced. The EV will go on sale in international markets very soon and is also expected to make it to the Indian market. The current version of the Atto 3 EV in India is priced at Rs 33.99 lakh, ex-showroom.

Source: Car&Bike

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 12:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BYD Atto 3 updated for global markets; Larger touchscreen, new features & colour schemes

What this car needs is a better instrument cluster. Looks more like they forgot about it and it was a last minute add.
ChiragM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 19:07   #3
BHPian

Re: BYD Atto 3 updated for global markets; Larger touchscreen, new features & colour schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
What this car needs is a better instrument cluster. Looks more like they forgot about it and it was a last minute add.
True that.
And also a good price reduction is what this car needs here in India. The sales charts are enough proof.
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 08:47   #4
BHPian

In the above photos, could anyone tell me what’s the stubby thing on the front door panels? Looks like a tweeter with an arm rest on top
Thanks in advance

Last edited by handsofsteel : 15th March 2024 at 08:49.
Old 15th March 2024, 08:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
In the above photos, could anyone tell me what’s the stubby thing on the front door panels? Looks like a tweeter with an arm rest on top
Thats the lever to open the door. You twist the upper 'brow' like part towards you (anti clock wise) to open the door.
Mr.Bentley is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 08:58   #6
BHPian

Screens need to be neatly integrated into the dash. Most cars these days make them look like they’re installed as an afterthought, making them look like aftermarket fittings.
Old 15th March 2024, 09:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
I wonder why though? Apart from battery percentage and speed, what info would you like there? There is no engine overheating, fuel gauge, tachometer or any such legacy stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskinash View Post
Screens need to be neatly integrated into the dash. Most cars these days make them look like they’re installed as an afterthought, making them look like aftermarket fittings.
I guess you will find that integrating a 15.6inch screen in a car interior seamlessly isnt that easy. Mercedes have with their hyperscreens but I dont like that implementation either since it is at an angle to the driver, reflections and the whole middle of the dashboard is basically glass.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 15th March 2024 at 09:10.
Old 15th March 2024, 10:29   #8
BHPian

What Atto 3 needs is a price cut. No one needs a laptop screen stuck in the dashboard.
newenergy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 10:43   #9
BHPian

While the car looks good from the outside, the inside is a big let down. It too gaudy. I mean, whats the need for guitar strings in the car doors? And the AC vents look weird.

For the price they charge, it should be "classy" like the Seal. I hope they fix these bits and price the car aggressively. It can easily take away the sales from MG.
m8002? is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 10:54   #10
BHPian

I hope they can have at least one lower trim that retails at a whisker below 25 Lakhs. That will pitch it very strongly against ZS EV- even with a lower battery capacity and without ADAS. That's the one option that should help their sales considerably.
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 11:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Starting from the exterior, the updated BYD Atto 3 EV now features a new 'Cosmos Black' paint scheme. The Atto 3 also loses out on the chrome window surrounds and the silver D-pillar insert, both of which have now been replaced by gloss black trims. The rear now features a shortened 'BYD' lettering, replacing the 'Build Your Dreams' logo seen on the current model. Other changes include newly designed 18-inch alloy wheels.
To me, this looks like the #DARK editions of our Indian manufacturers. Maybe in the other color variants, they would continue to provide the current stuff in chrome/brushed aluminium finishes they are giving in the current model.
Also, to note, there might be downward revision of price similar to other markets where there was price cut on Atto3. If that happens, it will be even more value for money for the size & stance it offers. SUV body style is generally more suited to Indian conditions especially important is the ground clearance unlike Seal. We have huge speed humps to navigate and not to forget the moon craters on our beloved roads.
Old 18th March 2024, 18:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskinash View Post
Electronic screens would almost always have a shorter life than the rest of the car... so if you want to be an optimist, an afterthought screen would also be easier to replace (or maybe even replace with something bigger in the next gen)
Old 18th March 2024, 20:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
I hope they can have at least one lower trim that retails at a whisker below 25 Lakhs. That will pitch it very strongly against ZS EV- even with a lower battery capacity and without ADAS. That's the one option that should help their sales considerably.
A lower trim will not help; not enough to coerce buyers like me

a) Internationally, Atto 3 is pitted against MG ZS EV (actually undercuts it price-wise). I don't see why I should pay more here in India.

b) The current version has only the long-range LFP as a major differentiator. Removing that takes it off my list. (rotating tablet is not a game-changer for me).

c) BYD is no Merc/ BMW for me to commit to a car with such a small service network (even though BYD India wants to consider itself to be in the luxury EV - as per the sales personnel).

Current version at 23L becomes a worthy contender IMO. Upcoming EVs from Hyundai, MG is only going to make it tougher to see the value proposition in BYD at 50% higher cost.
vinjosep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 10:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
A lower trim will not help; not enough to coerce buyers like me
Internationally, Atto 3 is pitted against MG ZS EV (actually undercuts it price-wise). I don't see why I should pay more here in India.
While I agree about it being overpriced here, when we had to get a new EV for the family, here's how I justified it to myself: (We have both, the ZS EV and Atto 3 in the family, so all points are based on real, experiential observations)

1. Wheelbase - 2720 vs 2585 = Directly translates to more room in the back. Incomparable to the tight and claustrophobic feeling MG.

2. Better straight line acceleration.

3. Way better looking inside out.

4. BYD Blade battery = No need to worry about fast charging, overcharging, charging cycles, SOH etc. Chinese cabs have been using BYD's battery tech for almost a decade now, I've personally been in cabs which are on their first battery pack despite doing over 5,00,000 km.

5. The difference in interior quality is staggering. The Atto 3 feels like a generation ahead of the MG.

6. The ride quality on the MG is terrible, whereas the Atto 3 is sublime.

7. Terrible speakers on the MG vs acceptable ones on the Atto 3.

8. Better range = Approx 50-60km more in the real world than the ZS EV.

Did we like spending almost 10L more for the Atto 3? Absolutely not, could we settle for the MG knowing everything we'd miss out? Nope. That being said, I would LOVE to see a more affordable locally assembled version of the Atto 3. Keeping my fingers crossed. We desperately need competition in the affordable EV space. Everything out there currently in the sub 30 Lakh price range feels like a compromise in some way.

Last edited by DeKay : 19th March 2024 at 10:23.
DeKay is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks