Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 15:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Volvo XC40 Recharge | Road-trip spanning 6 States and 3700 km in an Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
My understanding is that you spent about 17 hours (rough math) fast charging (not including the overnight charges) during a drive of 63 hours. I guess you might want to add 3-4 hours in the diversions caused in getting to the chargers and starting the charging as well, which makes it a nice round 20 hours of additional time.

Your conclusion is that 1000+ KM can be covered easily without range anxiety, but I'm sorry, spending 1/3rd of my time charging on the road, planning every single meal stop and hotel according to my EV is absolutely not my idea of an easy trip.

I'm the master of my car, not the other way around!!
True. Not even comparable to the ease with which you can refuel you ICE vehicle during roadtrips.
Old 23rd May 2024, 16:34   #32
BHPian

Re: Volvo XC40 Recharge | Road-trip spanning 6 States and 3700 km in an Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
A whopping 20 halts and almost 17-18 hours spent in only charging the vehicle.
But out of those 17 to 18 hours, a good chunk of it was done while having a food break.

I think a lot of those charging sessions can be made faster if people stopped charging to 100% in their Tata EVs. The EV charge point operators should add at time based charge to those who charge at a speed less then or at the same speed as AC charge speed and also provide a AC charge point at a much lower cost, so that that Tata EV owners can charge at 7kw speed in AC instead of using DC super charger.

The only reason I specifically singled out Tata EV is because a MG ZS, BYD, Hyundai Kona etc charge at a speed faster then AC 7kw charging speed even at 99% SOC.

Last edited by DIY410 : 23rd May 2024 at 16:45.
DIY410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 18:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
But out of those 17 to 18 hours, a good chunk of it was done while having a food break.
Infact I know a few people who eat because their car is taking long time to charge ! added expense is it not ! as you just eat as you sit twiddling thumbs while the EV charges.

a good business model adopted to add EV charging stations in hotel premises as the business will earn more in food sold rather than EV charge earned

Regards
Diesel
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 00:43   #34

Firstly thank you for sharing your experience. I am sure it will help a lot of folks in taking their EVs for long distance runs.

Had a query- did you face any issues in terms of connection to charger to a particular company's charger or was it an operator level thing?

Another query- If you had taken the petrol/diesel version of the same car, how much faster and how much more expensive would the trip have been?

Happy Motoring!
Old 14th June 2024, 11:10   #35

Mod note: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for replies. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praruaaa4 View Post
Day 5:
======

Note to moderators: If possible could you merge all the posts into a single post as I was getting an error so I had to split the posts.
Fantastic writeup.

I always believed long journey in ev is possible with little bit of pre planning.

Utilizing overnight charging with portable charger and availablity of type 2 chargers in many pilgrimage areas will help a lot. Hope this will improve soon and make long journies more comfortable.

Once EV always EV.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th June 2024 at 11:28. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for replies. Thanks.
siva61 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 13:04   #36

@praruaaa4
Quote:
This day had its own challenges as the temperature was getting really hot with 47 degrees centigrade was the maximum we noticed and the air conditioner was consuming a lot of power to keep the cabin cool. So, the battery range was only close to 300 kilometres. Charging stops every 200 kilometres became priority. Any and every fast charger along the route was used to charge the vehicle. Even restroom breaks were planned with chargers in mind
We have the same car and did a 1200 kms round trip last year. Some of the learnings were similar to yours regarding high energy use to keep the cabin cooled. After that I ordered and am currently using a shade for the sunroof glass. You and other XC40 members may want to look at this as well. Its only available on Aliexpress and had to get it routed via a family member who was going to visit us. This has a drastic effect on the AC load and reduced the energy used for the aircon by atleast 50%. It is quite compact and stores in the frunk when not in use.

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th June 2024 at 14:46. Reason: Removed the broken link for the product. Please report this post with the correct link and we can add it here again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks