Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2006, 17:38   #1
BHPian

bluetooth in laptops?

i need ur help in installing bluetooth device in my laptop. the problem is that it should have come as a standard but i dont seem to find it.

can u suggest what can i do about it.

1. can i download it from any website?

2. can anybody help me with a cd or something so that i can download it on my laptop?

3. any other suggestions ?

i m not able to connect my mobile with the laptop and may be i can connect many more devices if i can have bluetooth on the laptop. it is an IBM r 51 series.

secondly , how do i activate wireless network. i cannot see ways to do it anywhere in its properties.

these questions may be silly but i think there are lot of ppl here who can help me.

shubbbi
Old 23rd January 2006, 17:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

buy a bluetootth dongle from a mobile shop (approx 400 rs ) - u get a cd with it - install the bluetooth softtware on the laptop and viola u r set !

turn on ur phone bluetooth - let the lappy and phone discover each other - pair them up and start transferring !!

abt wifi - im a anadi - no idea
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey, if your laptop comes with Bluetooth, go to Device Manager and look for it under all the various devices. Should be under networking...
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
buy a bluetootth dongle from a mobile shop (approx 400 rs ) - u get a cd with it - install the bluetooth softtware on the laptop and viola u r set !

turn on ur phone bluetooth - let the lappy and phone discover each other - pair them up and start transferring !!
boy u sound a lot like Hitch... btw i have a laptop which came equipped with Bluetooth. All you need to do is press the bluetooth button and it will automatically detect any devices in the vicinity...
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Always first install the device drivers of the USB device completely first, and then connect the device.
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:32   #6
BHPian

First make sure that your laptop supports bluetooth and wireless. Enabling them should be there in the manual.

But then, lets assume that you have a wireless/bluetooth laptop, for IBM, you will have a "Fn" key next to left "ctrl" key. And then you F5 key with small blue icon which represents the wireless. Pressing the "Fn" and this F5 key will bring up the dialog box for enabling this blue tooth and wireless.
Old 23rd January 2006, 20:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

First check the specs of your laptop to figure out whether you have bluetooth and/or wlan built in.

If you have it, its just a matter of going thru the manual to find out which switch (or which combination of switches) activate the device.

If you dont have it, you will need to buy a USB or PCI Bluetooth adaptor and/or a USB or PCI WLAN adaptor. THe USB ones will use up your available USB Ports and stick out of the laptop...the PCI adaptrs will fit in neatly into the available PCI slots on the laptop. They're more permanant that way, so that you dont have to carry around different dongles.
Old 23rd January 2006, 23:22   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey Manaa45,

Usually when you get a new laptop, the first time u use BT you have to set it up and configure it.

Look around on your computer (on your desktop and in program files) for an icon that says "Start Using Bluetooth" or something like that.

Also, it never hurts to read the manual.

And as Gkrishn rightly mentioned, a lot of laptops have a manual switch/button to turn wifi&bluetooth on and off. There will be a light that comes on when the devices have power (which is neccessary before you try and install/run any software.
Look at this picture, on the strip that says "R 51" on the extreme left there are two icons. the first is wifi (looks like- "i" ) and the second from the left is bluetooth (looks like- >B ).
Those lights should be on.

Get back to us.
cya
R
Old 24th January 2006, 02:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

buddy please check sure there is a bluetooth antenna in your laptop.

most of the times manufacturers use the same laptop chassis for various configs and so the bluetooth light and switch may actually show but may not be there.

if you have a bluetooth in your laptop then the drivers should be already installed by the manufactuerer. try searching for bluetooth in search and you will find the details.
Old 24th January 2006, 11:38   #10
BHPian

guys, i have realised that my laptop doesnot have bluetooth and i think i have to buy a bluetooth donge. so i think that ends my search here.

mods u can close the thread if u want.

thanks a lot for all the help, specially steer who explained everything in detail.

shubbhi
Old 24th January 2006, 14:49   #11
BHPian

hey.Also please make sure that USB bluetooth dongles are supported by your laptop.I have a HP Pavilion Centrino,which has in built Wireless B,but no bluetooth.I had first bought a USB bluetooth dongle,but it just didnt work.I took the laptop to the computer guy,and he told me that some newer laptops dont support usb bluetooth devices.So,I bought a PCMCIA card bluetooth device with antenna in built.It is working fine..and rightly steeroid said - somwhat like a permanent solution,since it`s alright if you dont take out the card each time you switch off your laptop..
Only con of PCMCIA adapter is that they are more expensive than the usb dongles.
cheers,
-sr

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks