Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 21:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Assembled Home Audio Rig with 50w+50w STK AMP, Fostex Double Bass Reflex Enclosur

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. I am often wrong. I should not have used the word "tweeter". They are labelled tweeters but are in reality wide range drivers. They look similar to the Tangband W2-800 and can be played to about 300Hz/4W or so (somewhere in all the paper that is in my office is a 4W tube amp design just perfect to drive this). I think maybe JBL's Pheonix and Odyssey drivers are also designed in the same vein (edge suspension and voice coil etc..).

2. There are other 3" fullranges like what Gallo use in their Nucleus. Over on diyaudio Dave (Planet10) has been extoling the virtues of the latest incarnation of the Fostex ff85. This driver is more expensive than the drivers you have used but is not stratospheric in cost (about $40 each) and would be THE Fostex to get (look at Fonken box plans as well) if you are ordering Fostex. Another option is a 70mm driver from Wavecor. Due to a set on "circumstances" I have a pair of each (Gallo and Wavecor) on my desk. I stuck them into a simple ABS box I picked up from RS components and with a little LF filtering and a 1875 the sound the made was pleasantly surprising.

The bad news.....due a 600% increase in NdFeB prices in the last year (2000% over 2 years) both these drivers (Wavecor and Gallo) are now really expensive compared to their original prices.

The story I have is that China arbitrarily increased prices on Nd magnets to get back at Jap auto makers (wiper motors and other stuff) and the loudspeaker manufacturers got caught up in this.

If you feel the need to drop me a line, feel free to do. Since you know me from another forum. Before the internet forums became all the rage (email existed) and the internet connectivity took off (I can't call what we have in India as true broadband) this sort of news was confined to those who could subcribe to "Newsletters". Here is a sample from an archive http://www.diysubwoofers.org/digests/v2/v02n280.txt

If you are a regular over on diyaudio you will recognise many of the names in these digests as well!
Thanks Navin-ji for the Info. I was a regular in DIYAudio until couple of year back when my work took a toll on me (doing 24x7 support) and lost interest in everything. Now trying to get back with some Audio/Woodworking/DIY electronics stuff.

And about the remembering name, I am very bad at it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
@blue thunder

@venki
I do not know if Audire is selling fostex drivers alone. May be a direct ping could reveal that. Yes, I am going for MDF for the next project.
I got to their Website and will shoot an email over the weekend. And by the way Rajesh missed to tell you, but Very Nice work!! If are planning for a next build I can try help you with PCB designs (not that I am very good at it) but has some experience doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
This is a stereo setup. a HT set up is more complicated to DIY as it involved DSPs, Delay tools and video switching.

Selenium makes Pro and PA drivers. I know them a bit. I would request you to listen to them before plonking down the money. Pro and PA drivers are deisgned and built for a very different application that home audio. Not they cannot be used, but for example you might find the Vas to the larger that what you are used to or the Fs to be hgiher than normal and the Cms numbers to high etc..

However there are many manufacturers of Pro/PA drivers that do recommend their drivers for home audio: take Beyma, BMS, 18sound, Ciare, Eminence, etc.. for example.

Many moons ago I build a small (48" tall, 10" wide and 16" deep) 3 way using a 8" Eminence woofer mated to a 6" TC series Vifa woofer and tweeter (it was a biamped cabinet with the 6" and 1" using a series XO). I had never done a series XO before and I wanted to learn their advantages and disadvatages.

For me any new project has to be different from anything I have done before, in looks, sound or application. I do discuss (sanity check) my ideas with a few audio gurus (two of which - Sam Kapasi and Bass and Trouble - are members of TBHP) but never get any encouragement. Their typical response is "Why?"
During my College days I had build a simple HT system (Dolby Surround) which is just a combination of Opamps adder, Subtractor (or whatever you call it), and some BPF and LPF filters. This was displayed during one of the Collage Exhibition and even got orders from few people who visited our stalls!! I had even thought about building the next version (Dolby Pro logic II) but never got the time and resources to do it.

Venki
Old 21st September 2011, 11:43   #17
BHPian

Re: Assembled Home Audio Rig with 50w+50w STK AMP, Fostex Double Bass Reflex Enclosur

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki7744 View Post
I got to their Website and will shoot an email over the weekend. And by the way Rajesh missed to tell you, but Very Nice work!! If are planning for a next build I can try help you with PCB designs (not that I am very good at it) but has some experience doing it.

Venki
Thanks Venki. I will be doing the next project later. I will get in touch with you then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks