Team-BHP - Have any of you tried mobile internet?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Have any of you tried mobile internet? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/1084-have-any-you-tried-mobile-internet.html)

Hi

Orange is offering me a data cable for between 1500 - 2000 bucks to connect my laptop to my Nokia 6610. The purpose being to access the internet while on the move. Now Orange claims "speeds UPTO 64 kbps" but I have my doubts on the potential of a cellular phone with wireless access. It is pretty economical though, as the current charges are Rs.495 for unlimited browsing. Downloading files has some minimal extra fees.

How fast is this kind of a connection? Have any of you tried it, or better yet own something like this? I checked out some reviews from UK and they said that the speeds suck.

GTO

Hey

I havent tried this. Although i have tried the reliance internet via that bigass landline looking phone which is actually "portable". I must say i was very impressed with the speeds, noticably faster than VSNL/MTNL on dialup. (Stated speed of 115kbps i think) Though that phone is huge to lug around, i think its also possible to do this with the handheld reliance phones. Also note that i used this at home and not on the move!

Also, watch out for the pricing of the "additional downloads" because sometimes they write Kb (as opposed to KB). b=bits B=bytes and 10bits make a byte in the internet world.....so u will essentially be paying 10 times as much as u thought u would......plus i think everything is considered downloading.....ie even loading your email inbox etc etc.
These are the fine points on which these service providers tend to rip u off on, im not sure about orange but i have seen it a lot over here.

I guess in conclusion...its not really worth too much effort!
cheers
rehaan

Hey Rehaan,

Thanks a load for your inputs on this. I find the reliance option too expensive as its somewhere in the range of 28 bucks/ hour. Orange was 495 for the entire month buttttttttttttttt the connection is so dead slow (I checked out a demo on Saturday) it would take me an entire month just to check my mails.

Yeah I agree, the Reliance is pretty fast for what it offers...though fineprinting has always been a problem with phone companies.

GTO

orange which is hutch in hyd gives the service for rs 500, along with airtel which gives it for rs 999!!!
airtel speeds were good intially but now they suck
my cuz bro uses a hutch with the internet thing on two phones , a motorol c350 and a 9210, speeds intially were bad, but now they are awesome, do check it out, in hyd almost every one who use hutch are opting for that, do check it out ones, and hey, the chinese made data cable without the cd costs only 400 bucks here, must be more cheaper in mmbai, buy that and download the software for the nokia website, the data cable works fine
ps: i think the speed also depends on the phone u use

I am not in town since almost 2 weeks and reliance (handheld) is the only way I browse the internet. It is Economical 40 paise per minuite and the connection at night is mindblowing. I checked the actual connection at " http://tech.msn.com/downloads/speedtest.armx "
This shows ur actual speed not the one your modem tells (egs. 115kbps or 64kbps)
The connection showed a good 41 - 48kbps on reliance and between 9 - 13 kbps when I did the test thru BPL's service (but that was not thru the data cable, I bought Nokia's D211 card which goes in the PCMCIA Slot, you have to put ur simcard in D211) And the connection it gave was horrifying. The Reliance speed and connections are really good on the go too. (where ever you have the signal the net works just fine). But it is expensive Rs 24 / hour Plus they charge some amount everymonth (dont know what that is, coz they dont charge that amount to ppl who started using the phone modem b4 august 2003) .

Anyway, if you do have a reliance phone u should probably buy the data cable which is available at any WebWorld outlet, also check out the demo there. Its pretty good.

And by the way no download charges and the speed at night is around 11 to 15 (kbps) which frankly is better than 'our' stupid cable net provider at home!

Yeah PS,

I was impressed with reliance, and prefered it to my home connection!
Just ran the bandwith test and got 1623 kbps from my college network..i am gonna suffer when i come back to bombay!!#%! but i am working on my car vid collection so i can share it with u guys when i get back. Any requests? (with links please!)

cya
Rehaan

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Just ran the bandwith test and got 1623 kbps from my college network..i am gonna suffer when i come back to bombay!!#%! but i am working on my car vid collection so i can share it with u guys when i get back. Any requests? (with links please!)

Yeah man your gonna hate it here, it happened with me too!

Anyway happy downloading, get as much as u can, while you can!
(just suck the internet dry with your 1.6 Mbps connection!)

I have requests but, no links!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Just ran the bandwith test and got 1623 kbps from my college network

Oh boy, Did I suffer when I came back home. My college in Boston used to have T3 internet lines all over the place, and I so got used to surfing with the speed of changing channels on a television!

Aadix and Pferdestärke , thanks a load for your inputs.

GTO

I have been using the Orange WWW service for around 6 months now. They charge 499 per month. I use it on my P800 and it is not all that slow. And you are not charged extra for downloads. U can browse almost every site on the net with pictures and stuff.

hey live4bikes, me and my bro surf on the 9210, but not using the www thing, but gprs, isnt that enough???
he has oth activated www(500 rs) and gprs(100 rs)

i use a CDMA Sierra Wireless card from Tata Indicom. works for me.

GTO dont expect US style speeds in India. Even our leased line connections dont have that speed.

i and couple (5-8) friends were using (and some are still ) airtel mobile office for browsing. is used it via bluetooth on my p910.

my bro still downloads in excess of ONE GB permonth via airtel in tamil nadu.

the speed is almost on par with dial up.

faster to connect and works well even in places with less range.

if you have bluetooth on your mobile, you can avoid the cable.

thers a PCMCIA card like the one navin should be using. ( you can get it from ebay)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadix
hey live4bikes, me and my bro surf on the 9210, but not using the www thing, but gprs, isnt that enough???
he has oth activated www(500 rs) and gprs(100 rs)

gprs is faster, wap is slower

u meant wap (www) right?

newer mobile support edge tech which is much more faster than gprs.

logon to www.esato.com for more mobile tech in case you want more help

I have used Reliance mobile to access internet for 2 years. The speed is very impressive.

I prefer buying original data cable. Recently I bought a data cable for my Nokia on ebay. The connectivity to my pc was not consistent and i believe the cable is responsible for the damage i suffered with phone's camera.

I used to surf with my reliance mobile when I did not have BB connection
Speeds:
Best : 100kbps
Worst : 35kbps

My friends who have used it extensively say worst speed is 30-35kbps but average is around 70kbps.
Charges are 650rs/month for 1.5GB and 1500/mo for Unlimited.
If you want to go time pay way, night charges are 25p/min and day 40p/min