Team-BHP - New Digital camera
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   New Digital camera (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/10930-new-digital-camera.html)

Hey

I'm looking to buy a digital camera. The features I'm looking for are:

1. 4 megapixel minimum
2. 320x240 minimum video res @15 fps, with sound.
3. Built in memory - upgradable.
4. Optical zoom.

I'm looking at a 12k budget, since I saw the Samsung and Nikon were a little less without optical zoom. I need to buy it with full warranty etc.

Thanks

Viper

If you want a good cam go in for this!!

Rehaan has this cam.

This is the very model that was used to make the T-bhp Mahableshwar video and let me tell you, the quality of that video isn't even 50% of what this camera is capable of. Rehaan probably reduced the quality to make the file small and downloadable.

This might be a bit expensive but, if you want to really feel satisfied, go in for something like this.

Shan2nu

Check out the HP Photosmart m407. Price : 8995

Technical Specifications of HP M407 Digital Camera
http://www.jjmehta.com/products/hp_m407.html

Cheers!!!

dude i got a nikon 4600 from malaysia a couple of months back and a 4100 in coimbatore for 11k with warranty. Pretty much satisfied with both the pieces and i think they'll fit your bill perfectly.

P.S - try www.jjmehta.com for prices and features. I found he sells the same pieces for 1.5 to 2k cheaper than what dealers in bangalore quote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
I'm looking to buy a digital camera. The features I'm looking for are:
1. 4 megapixel minimum
4. Optical zoom.
I'm looking at a 12k budget, since I saw the Samsung and Nikon were a little less without optical zoom. I need to buy it with full warranty etc.

Lens. It maketh the camera. IMHO, try to buy a camera which has some Optics history viz. Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Pentax or likes. Since your budget is 12K (fairly good, I must add), in addition to features, you must also consider the following important points when deciding your final purchase;
1. Size of LCD view panel - The more the merrier.
2. Must have old-style viewfinder too as in strong sunlight the LCD panel's viewability takes a big knock.
3. Battery life - A very important consideration.
4. Ability to use SD Cards (smaller and Cheaper) over CF cards or Memory Duo (Sony).
5. Size of the unit - This defines the practical utility and how often you slip it in your pocket to capture those 'one-in-a-million' moments.

Having said that, I use a Casio Exilim Card Camera (With a Pentax lens, Optical Zoom 3x, 2.5" LCD scren and inbuilt mem card 16MB, Optional SD card). The results are terrific and with a 512 MB SD, I can manage close to 3000 pics on 640xXYZ res (great for the net and taking PC prints). Features are amazing - from full manual to complete automatic.
Batt life is terrific (Special LiIon), weight is 90 grams and is smaller thean a deck of cards! Comes with a USB cradle which acts as Pictbridge as well as charger.
You can preview it ob www.exilim.com
PS: It will be just within your budget or may streach it by another 500~1000 bucks depending on the SD card.

Please go ahead and post more quereis if want further details - will be glad to assist as photography is a hobby!
Also, Nikon has a slim line too. More expensive and better, too. But the Casio will do the job equally well.

Cheers

Check out the buying guide on http://www.dpreview.com. Though its a US site, check for $200 and below cams. They cost approx 12k here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
1. 4 megapixel minimum
4. Optical zoom.

I'm looking at a 12k budget
I need to buy it with full warranty etc.

Hey Viper,

Its a bummer that you want a full warranty etc and ur bedget is 12k, because from your requirements, as Shan2nu mentioned, the S1 IS would be a spectacular camera for you.

Its 3.2MP, however i really dont think thats a disadvantage.
640x480 30fps video w/ audio and w/ zooming (ultrasonic motor doesnt make any zoom noise) upto 1GB
10x optical zoom with image stabilization!!
CF card

and if anyone out there is reading this and is interested, check out the newly launched S2 IS -
5MP
12X optical iwth IS !!!!! (only prob is the wide is ~38mm)
640x480,30fps video with STEREO sound (selectable sample rates)
SD card
Apparently they have sorted out some of the purple fringing problems on the S1 IS (however all ultrazooms will still suffer from this to some degree)
etc etc etc

Anyway...goodluck with your purchase.

When you narrow it down to 2 or 3 cams do let us know so we can help out then.

cya
R

Do the camera's mentioned above have Image Stabilizer??

I had seen a Kodak with 10x zoom. The guy zoomed it to the maximum, had the flash OFF. I expected the aperture to become very high and the image to be completely black, but to my surprise it wasn't. Moreover, his hand was shacking sooooo much, at that much zoom, even a small movement, can blur the image completely. But no, the image was sharp as ever.

I can understand about the Image Stabilizer, but could someone please explain why did the image not become dark when he zoomed that much??

S1 IS is old, S2 Is is out and retails at 32K in india with 2 year canon warranty. At his budget max is SD500 or whereabouts.

IF the ambient light is enough you can take good pics even at F8.

For 12K, go in for one of the Sony models.

Go for canon powershot A510 (3MP) or A520(4MP).
They are the best cameras in this segment.

Wow! Thanks guys, for the ultra-quick and helpful response! Will take a little time to work stuff out and get that all-important financial sanction, then will let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks again!

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
IF the ambient light is enough you can take good pics even at F8.

Hey tsk, What does that mean? I didn't get this good pics bit. :confused:

Hmm, actually in aperture priority mode when we set high f numbers eg, F15 etc., if ambient light is not enough the camera will chose longer exposure times and due to hand held you will get bad images due to camera shake :D. guess thats what i meant :)