Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 00:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Universal Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Will it work across any brand of TV, DVD Player, Music System, Satellite TV Set top box etc?
If so, it is definitely worth having and put away all the individual remotes!
Well the logitec remote goes a step beyond a universal remote.
You can program activities.

Like say you can create an event called "Watch Movie."
it will switch on the tv , switch to the desired channel, turn on the dvd/nmt/blu ray player, turn on your amp, set it to the right input source, all at the click of a single button.
Power off will shut down all the devices connected with a single button press.

It has a software which lets you program all this, once done you hook the remote to the comp via USB and it downloads the entire sequence onto the remote.
Old 4th February 2012, 00:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Well the logitec remote goes a step beyond a universal remote.
You can program activities.

Like say you can create an event called "Watch Movie."
it will switch on the tv , switch to the desired channel, turn on the dvd/nmt/blu ray player, turn on your amp, set it to the right input source, all at the click of a single button.
Power off will shut down all the devices connected with a single button press.

It has a software which lets you program all this, once done you hook the remote to the comp via USB and it downloads the entire sequence onto the remote.
As this would be IR Remote, it will operate all these features once your remote is facing the Devices.

Now I ask user of this remote, How would such multi-tasking feature would work when your
1). TV Is wall mount
2). DVD Player is on a cabinet below TV
and lastly AMP is placed little far and is not facing the place you can point
it while you have turned ON your TV(movie function)

How would one use this remote in such a scenario ?
Old 4th February 2012, 08:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
As this would be IR Remote, it will operate all these features once your remote is facing the Devices.

Now I ask user of this remote, How would such multi-tasking feature would work when your
1). TV Is wall mount
2). DVD Player is on a cabinet below TV
and lastly AMP is placed little far and is not facing the place you can point
it while you have turned ON your TV(movie function)

How would one use this remote in such a scenario ?
I have a Samsung wall mounted TV
A popcorn hour NMT player inside a cabinet
An Onkyo AVR inside a cabinet.
A Tata sky set top box
A Nintendo wii
A DVD player

They all work irrespective of where the remote is pointed.
Ok, I havn't tried pointing in the reverse direction. But as long as you are pointed in a 180 deg range facing the devices they all work. The remote works much better than the native device remotes in terms of transmitting the signal.

There are a few niggles though, and this would vary device to device.

Eg: My TV does not respond exactly at times. And this happens when one does not use ONLY the logictec remote to power on/off.
Reason is the TV does not have dedicated buttons for the input source, its a single toggle button which switches across sources.
and since I also have a DVD player and a nintendo wii hooked. depending on whether these devices are powered on or off the number of sources vary on the TV toggle. Due to this the sequence is not fixed in the toggle mode. i.e. sometimes u have a toggle between 3 devices , sometimes 5 devices etc.. This confuses the logitec remote as it will toggle depending on what you program.

Btw mine is a Logitech harmony 510, it has a display screen also which displays dynamic functions which vary depending on the device you select or Activity you select.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/440/4738

Last edited by Fillmore : 4th February 2012 at 08:31.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Logitech Harmony 300 Universal Remote at now at Rs.1099 (inclusive of shipping) from the same dealer making it even more attractive.

Logitech Universal Harmony 300 Remote- (Company sealed Box with Genuine Bill) | eBay
Yes my bad, they reviewed the price in about a week or two's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
Thanks for the review!

The price for this seemed to have gone south even more. I ordered it today from ebay for Rs.1,099 including delivery.
Welcome Monaro, well indeed they reduced the price in a weeks time. I suggested my friend to buy it, and he got it for 1099/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I have a Samsung wall mounted TV
A popcorn hour NMT player inside a cabinet
An Onkyo AVR inside a cabinet.
A Tata sky set top box
A Nintendo wii
A DVD player

They all work irrespective of where the remote is pointed.
Ok, I havn't tried pointing in the reverse direction. But as long as you are pointed in a 180 deg range facing the devices they all work. The remote works much better than the native device remotes in terms of transmitting the signal.

There are a few niggles though, and this would vary device to device.

Harmony® 510 Advanced Universal Remote
Well the logitech universal remote has multiple IR transponders unlike one in regular remotes. So yes 'Fillmore' as long as you have all devices in about 180 degrees should be good.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:25   #20
BHPian

Re: Review : Logitech Harmony 300 Universal Remote

After reading this review, I went ahead and purchased the Logitech Harmony 300 Remote. Bought it from eBay for Rs 998. Setting up the remote was pretty easy. Just plug it to your PC and open the web based app to select your devices. The remote can be configured by selecting your device on the software or by learning IR signals.

Here are the devices I have configured and it works like a charm:

Philips LED TV
TataSky HD +
Logitech Z690 Home theater system
Asus O'Play HD 2
Nikon D40 - Yes sir!! it works on the camera too!!
Old 10th April 2013, 17:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Here are the devices I have configured and it works like a charm:

Philips LED TV
TataSky HD +
Logitech Z690 Home theater system
Asus O'Play HD 2
Nikon D40 - Yes sir!! it works on the camera too!!
Bumped into this thread after more than a year. I too have the same remote(Logitech Harmony 300) and I can programme 4 devices, which is sufficient for me(and the manual says so AFAIR).

However I would be interested and glad if it can control more than 4 devices. Is there any way/workaround to achieve this?
Old 11th April 2013, 18:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Bumped into this thread after more than a year. I too have the same remote(Logitech Harmony 300) and I can programme 4 devices, which is sufficient for me(and the manual says so AFAIR).

However I would be interested and glad if it can control more than 4 devices. Is there any way/workaround to achieve this?
There is a workaround for this. You can manually configure 2 devices under 1 profile but make sure the button functionality doesn't overlap.

Eg: You can configure a set top box and a TV together in one profile. The remote can change the channel on the STB and change the volume on the TV.

The way to do this manually is by making it learn the IR codes by flashing the original remote buttons and copying it on the Logitech.

I have tried this for my Nikon as it needs just one button for the shutter release.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
There is a workaround for this. You can manually configure 2 devices under 1 profile but make sure the button functionality doesn't overlap.
Thanks! I will give it a try to see if I can include my AC remote functionality into this.
Old 15th April 2013, 18:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I will give it a try to see if I can include my AC remote functionality into this.

It should work. You can mix two remotes. I've done this on my Harmony 200 & Harmony 300 remote. I am using the older CRT TV & Hathway Cable STB under one profile. I can control both TV & STB.

You can assign the keys under the Aux.
Old 24th April 2013, 16:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_lone View Post
It should work. I've done this on my Harmony 200 & Harmony 300 remote.

You can assign the keys under the Aux.
I did assign some keys of my AC to the Harmony Remote. However I face some issues controlling the AC with the newly setup Remote.

Problem :
Temperature Increase/decrease - Works only for the temperature while it was programmed. Like if at the time of programming, pressing the UP key(in my original AC remote) was stepping-up temperature to 25 deg and pressing down was stepping it down to 24 deg again. The harmony remote was programmed with these setting in the original remote.

Now if I use the harmony remote to control the AC, all it does is make it to 25 deg on pressing the UP and make it 24 on pressing the down key. Even if I press the keys multiple times or at any other temperature.

I was wondering as to what is going wrong here and why is it not allowing the way it does when using my original Remote. BTW I am using a LG Split AC Remote in this case.
Old 24th April 2013, 19:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I did assign some keys of my AC to the Harmony Remote. However I face some issues controlling the AC with the newly setup Remote.

Problem :
Temperature Increase/decrease - Works only for the temperature while it was programmed. Like if at the time of programming, pressing the UP key(in my original AC remote) was stepping-up temperature to 25 deg and pressing down was stepping it down to 24 deg again. The harmony remote was programmed with these setting in the original remote.

Now if I use the harmony remote to control the AC, all it does is make it to 25 deg on pressing the UP and make it 24 on pressing the down key. Even if I press the keys multiple times or at any other temperature.

I was wondering as to what is going wrong here and why is it not allowing the way it does when using my original Remote. BTW I am using a LG Split AC Remote in this case.
Ought to be something to do with IR codes for the AC. You can re-Teach the commands or else get in touch with Harmony e-mail support. They are quite responsive & very eager to help you out with a potential solution..

I've only configured it for my Philips CRT TV & Hathway STB.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks