Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 12:49   #1
BHPian

Project [E] 3

Well, I didnt see too many threads on computer modifications, so thought I would post up one of my build logs.

A bit about myself, I am a computer enthusiast and have learned everything that is in these threads from scratch. I started out a few years ago by trying to build my own computer and this is where I am now.

I write a couple of reviews a year for various hardware companies and they tend to sponsor when ever I plan to do one of my builds. The idea behind the builds is to see what is possible in India and what is not.

Anyway, this is again going to be a tower build with a new case and some new parts as and when they happen. So to start things off, here are some of the parts that will go into the build.

Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V 990FX
CPU - AMD Phenom II 1090T, will be changed to Bulldozer once it arrives
Ram - Super Talent Chrome 2000 Mhz CL8, may change to Gskill 2133 CL 9 depending on which one clocks better for me once BD is in
GPU - Powercolor 6950 Unlocked to 6970 :drum:
PSU- ANTEC HCP 850
Storage - 1 x120 GB OCZ Vertex 2, 1 X 2 TB Seagate 7200.12
Controller - Alphacool Heatmaster, very under rated controller and works beautifully with Windows 7 64 bit. Can run 4 pumps without the need for an extra module
Case - Cooler Master ATCS 840 Black Brushed Aluminium

Water cooling:

CPU Block - EK Supreme with easy mount
GPU Block - EK 6970 EN Nickel/Plexi Version
Radiators - Black Ice GTX 360 and Black Ice GTS 240
Pump - Swiftech MCP 355
Tubing - Primochill Black 7/16" / 5/8", Black
Fittings - Bitspower Silver Compression Fittings and a whole lot of other bits and pieces
Fans - Scythe Gentle Typhoons GT 15 for the rads. Have also ordered some 2150's, but thats going to take some time.
Res - XSPC Dual Bay res, pump top

Others:

Sleeving - Will be done with MDPC sleeving
Cable management - Again MDPC stuff

Anyway, lets start with a few photos of the case. presenting the mighty CM ATCS 840. Its the last one available in India, as they plan to phase it out soon.

Just a few pics to show you the brushed Alu finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Project [E] 3-btdye.jpg  

Project [E] 3-sepum.jpg  

Project [E] 3-tugtd.jpg  

Last edited by mav2000 : 13th February 2012 at 11:36. Reason: Hi mav2000, we keep all desktop computer config/build stuff in this one thread. Posts moved. Thanks.
mav2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 15:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Project [E] 3

Now the first thing I did after drilling the case apart (you have to drill, they are a lot of rivets) is to work on the powder coating. After a few days of hunting around, I came across a guy not far from my house, who looked like he would do a professional job. So here it is after the powder coat. Remember that the CM ATCS is a 5-6 year old design and black interiors for computer cabinets have been around only recently.

So before I get on with powder coating, I needed to make a small cut at the bottom of the 3 1/2" bays to make sure the radiator would fit. And a few others which I will probably show you later.

I used a couple of motherboard standoffs to check if the rad fits, but will be using rubber ringed screws at the end to make sure that the fans on the radiator do not reverberate through the case itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Project [E] 3-64jq0.jpg  

Project [E] 3-nhrb1.jpg  

Project [E] 3-pee3b.jpg  

Project [E] 3-tockq.jpg  

Project [E] 3-ucikq.jpg  

Project [E] 3-3ltnu.jpg  

mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 15:55   #3
BHPian

Now off to the powder coaters for a new interior. And a mandatory pic of my power tools...the drill and the B&D rotary tool. Unluckily I didnt check that it was a 110V version when I bought it, so I need to use it with a convertor.
Attached Thumbnails
Project [E] 3-r6qjv.jpg  

Project [E] 3-v8jly.jpg  

Old 13th February 2012, 11:41   #4
BHPian

Once I sent off the cabinet insides for powder coating, it was time to start the sleeving work on the front panel cables. Now I really dont use some of the stuff on the front panel, so carefully took them off. They tend to be glued on so they dont slip off during installation and had to use a hot air gun to get them off. if I ever do decide to sell the case, I can refix it and use a hot glue gun to keep it in place.

The sleeving was ordered from MDPC some time ago and had used a lot of this stuff for my previous builds as well. Its really great stuff and covers the cables well, without them showing.

Sleeving is not an easy job, by an stretch of the imagination and requires the right tools and a lot of patience to get it right. This project is my third as far as sleeving is concerned, so am a bit better at it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Project [E] 3-vg4ze.jpg  

Project [E] 3-verer.jpg  

Project [E] 3-1xrx8.jpg  

Project [E] 3-7b1i0.jpg  

Old 13th February 2012, 11:44   #5
BHPian

After a few days of talking to the powder coaters, I finally decided to go for a white color for the inside of the case, as a black would make it the same as everyone else and a glossy white was not to my \taste. So I went in for a wrinkle finish powder coat. The guy I worked with was really good at his work and started off with an acid batch to clean off all the finger prints, any dust and remove all the stickers on the case itself. I think the pictures below will give you a good idea of the wrinkle finish. The powder coating cost me less than 300 bucks, so was pretty kicked with the finish and quality of the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Project [E] 3-qiihq.jpg  

Project [E] 3-toq9m.jpg  

Project [E] 3-vnfoz.jpg  

Project [E] 3-wzupp.jpg  

Project [E] 3-0bvb7.jpg  

Old 13th February 2012, 11:50   #6
BHPian

Next I started off with the carbon Fiber Vinyl. I got this stuff off of ebay a few days ago. Its great quality stuff for the price. The 3M vinyl is much more expensive. It has a nice texture to it and is 3D in design, unlike normal vinyls, which tend to be flat with no texture.

Working with this vinyl requires steady hands and a heatgun. Heat up the vinyl and stretch it a bit to make sure it sits well.

This is only for the motherboard tray area. Unluckily only the edges will be seen, as most of this area will be covered by the motherboard itself. The idea is to highlight this area in red, compared to the white in the rest of the interiors.

The second pic is of the whole tray covered with the vinyl, using a heatgun. And the third pic shows it after its been cut and finished. You also get a good idea of how the motherboard tray will stand out as compared to the rest of the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Project [E] 3-dzqvg.jpg  

Project [E] 3-ptpuc.jpg  

Project [E] 3-a0a7o.jpg  

Project [E] 3-yyqpn.jpg  

Old 14th February 2012, 13:48   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Computers section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 15th February 2012, 14:39   #8
BHPian

Waiting for comments/criticism/questions etc....will be adding more soon.
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:09   #9
BHPian

No comments??

Heres the new PSU. Antec makes some quality stuff and most of their HCP series is made by Delta, which has some of the best quality around these days.

This is a pretty solid unit and comes with a whole lot of modular connectors as well as some fixed ones. The fixed ones a re a bit of a pain to sleeve, but I think we will be able to get it done in quick time.

There are also some challenges to the PCIE cables, will probably have to recrimp and make new wires from scratch.
Attached Thumbnails
Project [E] 3-eir4i.jpg  

Project [E] 3-6oqsw.jpg  

Project [E] 3-ykovf.jpg  

Project [E] 3-gskc4.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2012, 11:11   #10
BHPian

And the 24 pin connector now sleeved.
Attached Thumbnails
Project [E] 3-9fgom.jpg  

Project [E] 3-mcbpb.jpg