Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 01:01   #1
BHPian

Facebook buys Instagram

So, all the mobile photographers on iOS and now android i'm sure are already aware of Instagram the editing and sharing app - well now facebook has bought it for a whopping 1 billion USD.

Source - Install or Not | News: Facebook acquires photo-sharing app Instagram for $1 billion
Old 11th April 2012, 23:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Facebook buys Instagram

The biggest social network buys another one . Dont really think 25 million members and their pics were worth 1 Billion. Hopefully it will stay independent
Old 12th April 2012, 00:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
The biggest social network buys another one . Dont really think 25 million members and their pics were worth 1 Billion. Hopefully it will stay independent
Overpriced, but he waited to see the response on Android, which was as expected great and baym the sale !
Old 12th April 2012, 00:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Overpriced, but he waited to see the response on Android, which was as expected great and baym the sale !
True but the snobbish community who own iPhones had a public outcry on twitter about Android joining the club lol
Old 12th April 2012, 00:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
True but the snobbish community who own iPhones had a public outcry on twitter about Android joining the club lol
I kind of do agree, dilutes the quality of pics as android devices vary from as less as $100 to as high as $800 with sensors as crappy as VGA to as good as 16/18mpx.

But then whoever thinks instagaram is anything but good timepass i.e. photography tool or makes one a photographer is fooling nobody but themselves
Old 12th April 2012, 00:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
I kind of do agree, dilutes the quality of pics as android devices vary from as less as $100 to as high as $800 with sensors as crappy as VGA to as good as 16/18mpx.

But then whoever thinks instagaram is anything but good timepass i.e. photography tool or makes one a photographer is fooling nobody but themselves
+1, Instagram is not a photo application, its just a social network with emphasis on picture sharing(Facebook was like that for me, in the beginning). Will definitely help with Facebook's IPO later in the year though!
Old 12th April 2012, 16:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Interesting buy. Instagram has just 13 employees!
Rumors are that it would be Four Square next.
Old 12th April 2012, 17:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

For those at Instagram life has received an "overhaul". Imagine what you could do with a billion dollars. Now there is also Pinterest.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
+1, Instagram is not a photo application, its just a social network with emphasis on picture sharing(Facebook was like that for me, in the beginning). Will definitely help with Facebook's IPO later in the year though!
+1. Quite a few think that Instagram is 'art'. It is just a timepass tool for casual use. Guess FB got spooked by the meteoric rise and bought it before it emerged as a real threat

By the way Instagram had only 12 employees at the time of acquisition. That makes the valuation per employee about $ 80 mn. Signs of another dot com bubble?
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guha_2001 View Post
+1. Quite a few think that Instagram is 'art'. It is just a timepass tool for casual use. Guess FB got spooked by the meteoric rise and bought it before it emerged as a real threat

By the way Instagram had only 12 employees at the time of acquisition. That makes the valuation per employee about $ 80 mn. Signs of another dot com bubble?
Dot come bubble is so 2001, its the Social Networking bubble now . There is literally a new social network every week, either online or iPhone/Android exclusives (like Path). But I think the bubble will burst soon and how well the FB IPO goes on May 12 would be a good indicator for sustainability of social networks. Then again, Facebook has got nearly 1 billion people's information to play around with unlike most of its competitors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks