Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 15:57   #1
BANNED

Editing and transferring DTH files

I have a TataSky HD+ box. I can record programs but do not have access to these. Same applies to all DTH boxes. I recorded a news programme featuring my daughter and will like to make an archival copy of it.

There seems to be no direct route to do so. When fishing around the web I came across an article that the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR may be the way to do so. You just connect the output from the box, and it captures it in a high quality file. You can then record and edit it.

It is listed on eBay for about 16.5k, and may be the way. Any ideas and experience with these products?

Old 26th April 2012, 16:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Editing and transferring DTH files

This is similar to pass through with VHS tapes that we used before. This is a alternative to using DTH operators recorders. Although not sure about the compression (they list 5Mb as example which is not that great for AVCHD).
Does it receive input through HDMI?

Last edited by srishiva : 26th April 2012 at 16:15.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:07   #3
BHPian

Check if the TV channel has a website and also has the video. If it has then, may be, of the several firefox plugins, some might download the video. Quality could still be a issue.
Old 26th April 2012, 23:24   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a TataSky HD+ box. I can record programs but do not have access to these. Same applies to all DTH boxes.
There are ways to access it and can copy to your PC etc.. but it wont play as its all encrypted.

My relative is using AverMedia Game Capture HD TV Tuner Card (C281) for recording from PS3 as well as from DTH. In this you can either purchase a 2.5 internal hard disk or use a external HDD. The quality is too good too. This was bought from USA but i found it in flipkart now. There is one more model listed in flipkart and i'm listing it here.

1. AverMedia Game Capture HD TV Tuner Card (C281) Rs.8100/-

2. AverMedia DarkCrystal HD Capture Station TV Tuner Card (C874) Rs. 13163/-
Old 27th April 2012, 08:27   #5

Re: Editing and transferring DTH files

Quote:
I have a TataSky HD+ box. I can record programs but do not have access to these. Same applies to all DTH boxes. I recorded a news programme featuring my daughter and will like to make an archival copy of it.

There seems to be no direct route to do so. When fishing around the web I came across an article that the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR may be the way to do so. You just connect the output from the box, and it captures it in a high quality file. You can then record and edit it.

It is listed on eBay for about 16.5k, and may be the way. Any ideas and experience with these products?

Hauppauge is a great product and so is Avermedia. I have used both of them for multiple applications. You basically need a HD Video capture card with an component or HDMI input interface.

If the news channel in question is CNN IBN or Times Now, you can just contact them to provide you a copy. My startup has been featured a couple of times and they gladly provided the footage to us.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit View Post
If the news channel in question is CNN IBN or Times Now, you can just contact them to provide you a copy. My startup has been featured a couple of times and they gladly provided the footage to us.
^ This is definitely what you should try first! Its kind of the norm for these channels, as they get several of these requests. Just follow it up soon!

The copy might not be "broadcast quality", but its definitely the easier way (as opposed to spending 16k on some hardware you'll use just once).

cya
R
Old 27th April 2012, 11:21   #7
BANNED

Thanks folks.

@Rehaan; All I could kind on NDTV was a short clip of all of 2 minutes. This did not have the discussion after the news event. This is a human interest story about a 5 year kid, spending 12 months plus with his grandparents in a Bangladesh Prison. They had crossed into BD illegally, had been caught and fined Rs.500. Since they could not pay up they were sentenced to 2 months. The kid was sent with them. They have taken a year trying to collect id proof for them and still there is no release date.

There were ~500 Bangladeshi's (as per PIL responses) in Bengal prisons, who were caught, convicted and sentenced. They have completed their sentences but are help up due to Govt. apathy. This was a PIL last year in Kolkata HC and is now with the SC since the GoI is now a co-respondent.

@Wildon; The Avermedia is a card so is not appropriate for use with laptops.

@shobhit; Thanks. I think I may order it.

One off I can go to NPTEL (National Programme in Telematics) lab at IITK but repeatedly it is not very practical. Now that she may be in the news more often I might as well get the box!
Old 27th April 2012, 11:25   #8

Quote:
Thanks folks.

One off I can go to NPTEL (National Programme in Telematics) lab at IITK but repeatedly it is not very practical. Now that she may be in the news more often I might as well get the box!
Sir, if you are in campus, I am pretty sure either of Medial Lab Asia, or Dr. Venkatesh/Dr. Sumana Gupta's Lab at EE might have a capture card meeting your requirements.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Rehaan; All I could find on NDTV was a short clip of all of 2 minutes. This did not have the discussion after the news event.
Don't look on the website. Contact the person from NDTV who co-ordinated with you / your daughter to make this happen and request a copy of the show from them. They should send you a CD.

cya
R
Old 14th May 2012, 18:30   #10
BANNED

Got the Hauppauge 1221 PVR last week from Cart2India. Very prompt service. Connected it up, and managed to easily download the clips into my Laptop. Initially one conection (Component Audio) was loose and it was not working. One small point - make sure the volume of the output from the HD+ is high. After all this is what is being digitised. I did not realise so had to repeat the process.

Excellent results. Now I have to find a good freebie video editor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks