Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 19:08   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Wireless Home Networking

Thanks for that. Yes I'm thinking of picking up an Apple TV itself. Right now the PC is setup in my room, and the wifi tv is also in my room. Actually the PC is connected to this TV through HDMI also, so not really worried about this tv. In another room we are setting up a home theater with a projector etc, so was wondering what to get there. Looks like Apple TV will be a good option.

Still not bought the wifi dongle for my tv, I'm wondering whether to buy it or not considering its connected to my PC through HDMI anyway.

It will be quite a lengthy process converting my media to Apple format right? Considering I have about 400gb to convert? Might make sense getting a western digital box, and using an app for that on the ipad to control it?
Old 4th July 2012, 10:57   #17
Team-BHP Support

Guys another issue I've been noticing. While transferring files from my desktop hard disk, to the 2tb HDD connected to my Airport Xtreme, I'm only getting a file transfer speed of 3.5mbps. Surely this is too low? Are there any settings I can check for this? The hardware part of it would be fine I think.
Old 15th July 2012, 18:25   #18
BHPian

Wireless Bridging

Hi all,

I have a dsl wireless modem and I am unable to get its range across the house. I have a spare wireless router dlink which I want to use as a range extender.

What settings do I need to do on the host and the dlink router to enable extension of the wifi range? Both have very similar GUI. I am getting confused with the Wireless Bridging setting.

Can someone help me with this please?

Prajwal
Old 15th July 2012, 19:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wireless Bridging

Not a direct answer to your query; but I faced a similar problem last year. My BSNL Huawei modem/wireless router was not powerful enough and I was contemplating whether to go for a wireless router or extender.

However, Google told me to do the following first:
- buy a can of Pringle, eat it
- put the empty can on the antenna of the modem.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found the signal strength from "poor" to "average" and "good" to "excellent".

However, please note that this hack may not work with those sleek routers with internal antennas.

Cantenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 15th July 2012 at 20:13.
Old 15th July 2012, 20:01   #20
BHPian

Hi There,

There is a open source software called DDRT that allows you to convert your old router into a repeater (bridge). DDRT is a software which allows you to unlock the hidden features of your router. Here's a tutorial to on how to install DDRT and configure to bridge setting.

How To Turn An Old Router Into A Wireless Bridge

But before that check if the firmware will work with your router use the link below

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Alternatively you can purchase Apple's Airport Express which costs around 6k and use it as a repeater only (but the new Apple Express has amazing range you may not need to do it at all)
Old 15th July 2012, 20:19   #21
BHPian

Thanks guys,

I little bit of disappointment due to the fact that the host router (Beetel 450BXI) does not have WDS/WDM. I hoped that my Dlink 2640U would be better than that. However, its not so. The dlink is ALSO not WDS/WDM enabled. So I guess I would not be able to do any wireless bridging. I will, afterall, have to pull an ugly looking cable across the house, which is a much cheaper option than purchasing a brand new router.

Prajwal

@Sandeepmdas: That Pringles can trick is too good to pass. I am trying that right away!

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 15th July 2012 at 20:46.
Old 16th July 2012, 00:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH
Hi There,

There is a open source software called DDRT that allows you to convert your old router into a repeater (bridge). DDRT is a software which allows you to unlock the hidden features of your router. Here's a tutorial to on how to install DDRT and configure to bridge setting.

How To Turn An Old Router Into A Wireless Bridge

But before that check if the firmware will work with your router use the link below

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Alternatively you can purchase Apple's Airport Express which costs around 6k and use it as a repeater only (but the new Apple Express has amazing range you may not need to do it at all)
You can't use the aexp for wireless - wireless extending. You can extend signal if you connect to the wired port of the aexp - but that's not what he's trying to do.

OP - I had the same dilemma. I pulled a cable - but then got an aexp and cut out interference by removing other 2.4 ghz devices from around the router. I don't even need to connect to my 'extended' router now. But I have a trusty old cable between the two. Although nowadays you get some routers with mad range - like the a extreme (more than aexp) or some of the new buffalo or linksys ones.

How far apart are the broadcast point and the place where you need signal? And any walls in between? Any beams? Cordless phones / Bluetooth devices?
Old 16th July 2012, 08:13   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Thanks guys,

I little bit of disappointment due to the fact that the host router (Beetel 450BXI) does not have WDS/WDM. I hoped that my Dlink 2640U would be better than that. However, its not so. The dlink is ALSO not WDS/WDM enabled. So I guess I would not be able to do any wireless bridging. I will, afterall, have to pull an ugly looking cable across the house, which is a much cheaper option than purchasing a brand new router.

Prajwal

@Sandeepmdas: That Pringles can trick is too good to pass. I am trying that right away!
I suppose i can help, I have an ISP provided router whose range has been extended by using an ASUS router i bought myself. My ASUS had an inbuilt repeater mode. which allows it to catch a signal and extend it. If your router doesn't have that mode. You can try loading dd-wrt firmware onto it. check at the dd-wrt website for your router. I tried dd-wrt on my asus and it is working flawlessly.
and BTW, the Cantenna can increase the signal strength at a point by only about 5~10%
Old 16th July 2012, 10:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
You can't use the aexp for wireless - wireless extending. You can extend signal if you connect to the wired port of the aexp - but that's not what he's trying to do.

OP - I had the same dilemma. I pulled a cable - but then got an aexp and cut out interference by removing other 2.4 ghz devices from around the router. I don't even need to connect to my 'extended' router now. But I have a trusty old cable between the two. Although nowadays you get some routers with mad range - like the a extreme (more than aexp) or some of the new buffalo or linksys ones.

How far apart are the broadcast point and the place where you need signal? And any walls in between? Any beams? Cordless phones / Bluetooth devices?
They are not too far apart. But there are plenty of walls and doors in between that is reducing the range. The host router is placed strategically in the house and can't be moved any closer than it already is. At the door of my room, the range bar is at 1, and the moment I get inside the room, the range goes off. I have even moved the table to right next to the door, but because of the low range already, the signal pulse keeps going on and off and the connectivity keeps dropping. Not good when I have some serious work to do and I need to do it in the room when I want to isolate myself from household noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I suppose i can help, I have an ISP provided router whose range has been extended by using an ASUS router i bought myself. My ASUS had an inbuilt repeater mode. which allows it to catch a signal and extend it. If your router doesn't have that mode. You can try loading dd-wrt firmware onto it. check at the dd-wrt website for your router. I tried dd-wrt on my asus and it is working flawlessly.
and BTW, the Cantenna can increase the signal strength at a point by only about 5~10%
I checked the dd-wrt firmware compatibility page and my router does not figure in that. I will be looking into the cantenna trick since I only need about 10%-15% increase in the range. If that doesn't work, then I'll pull a cable across the house and fix up the dlink router that I have as an access point. That should solve the purpose since this is only a temp measure and not a permanent fixture to the house (its a rented house).

Prajwal
Old 16th July 2012, 10:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think I may have succeeded in eliminating the same problem as faced by Prajwal.

I have a Tata Zyxel wifi modem+router which is the Tata Broadband provided modem.

I was not getting any wifi signal in the bedroom. I have an AE that I tried to use to extend the range of the wifi, but didn't work.

After reading this, I picked up a DLink DIR-600 that I had and downloaded the DD-WRT firmware on it. Logged in and set it up to work in bridge mode like it is described here.

I am now sitting in my bedroom with the door closed and typing this message.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

The signal strength hasn't gone strong..still shows weak signals. Also after click a link, it takes a few seconds before it starts to load...so I dont think this bridge is working as flawlessly as it should.

Any more ideas?
Old 16th July 2012, 13:56   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
The signal strength hasn't gone strong..still shows weak signals. Also after click a link, it takes a few seconds before it starts to load...so I dont think this bridge is working as flawlessly as it should.

Any more ideas?
Are use using b/g/n? What devices do you have? If they all support n, try disabling B and g. If you still have a G device, disable b at least.

Also can the router do a different frequency? Or only 2.4?

I had success in the past by reducing the speed from 10mbps to 2mbps on the wifi - anyway the Internet connection is probably slower than the router can handle. Check these two settings and see if that helps?
Old 16th July 2012, 14:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I think I may have succeeded in eliminating the same problem as faced by Prajwal.

I have a Tata Zyxel wifi modem+router which is the Tata Broadband provided modem.

I was not getting any wifi signal in the bedroom. I have an AE that I tried to use to extend the range of the wifi, but didn't work.

After reading this, I picked up a DLink DIR-600 that I had and downloaded the DD-WRT firmware on it. Logged in and set it up to work in bridge mode like it is described here.

I am now sitting in my bedroom with the door closed and typing this message.
Does your Tata-Zyxel modem support WDS? Without that, I am not sure how the Dlink will pick up the signal and relay it to you. Is there a way in dd-wrt to extend the wifi range without the host router having WDS?

Prajwal
Old 17th July 2012, 14:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Are use using b/g/n? What devices do you have? If they all support n, try disabling B and g. If you still have a G device, disable b at least.

Also can the router do a different frequency? Or only 2.4?

I had success in the past by reducing the speed from 10mbps to 2mbps on the wifi - anyway the Internet connection is probably slower than the router can handle. Check these two settings and see if that helps?
Will check on this and report back tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Does your Tata-Zyxel modem support WDS? Without that, I am not sure how the Dlink will pick up the signal and relay it to you. Is there a way in dd-wrt to extend the wifi range without the host router having WDS?

Prajwal
Yes the Tata Zyxel supports WDS
Old 24th May 2013, 15:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Guys, does anyone know how to use the D-Link DIR 615's wireless repeater function? I have been through the manual, a few websites and after numerous trials and errors - failed!

I just don't know what I am doing wrong

I'll appreciate if anyone can explain it step-wise or put up a link that has a step-wise procedure on how to go about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks