Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2006, 18:19   #1
BHPian

EOS20D + AF lens

Hi,
I am in a fix deciding combination of lens + camera, i need your help suggestion, experinence on this.
I have a canon Rebel 2000 + canon AF 28-80 mm lens + Tamron AF 80-210mm lens. I have been using this kit for more than 5 years now..
Now i am planning to upgrage to EOS -20D or 30D ( thought of 350D but 30D is better) Since i already have 2 lenses ( AF) can i use these lenses on the 20D or 30D.. Can i use these lesnses first of all, so that i can just buy the camera body now and invest on a wide angle lens in future which i always wanted?
As i know, the AF lenses have 7 point AF system but the 20D and 30D support 9 point Autofocus system. Is this going to create a mismatch and ultimately AF not working.. Also i believe the sensors and the metal contacts on the lens are different, will this create a serious problem?
I am in such a fix i am not able to decide which one to go for..just the body or put extra dough on the lenses? help..
thanks,
-shaz
Old 10th April 2006, 18:38   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon
Hi,

I have a canon Rebel 2000 + canon AF 28-80 mm lens + Tamron AF 80-210mm lens.
thanks,
-shaz
Is that the one mentioned a canon EF 28-90mm Auto Focus lens or am i mistaken???
Old 10th April 2006, 19:12   #3
BHPian

Yes you can use your existing lenses with the new digital camera without any problem.

All Canon AF lenses are tested to be compatible with new bodies.

However, one cannot be postively sure about the Tamron/Tokina/Cosina lenses.

Suggest you take your lens to the camera shop, check it with the body by shooting a few pictures.
Inspect the digital picture header data (canon provides a software for this) to determine that the camera body is correctly writing the aperture, lens focal length and shutter speed to the saved image file.
Also check the image for sharpness--a lens that is not correctly recognized by the body will result in unfocussed/poorly focussed pictures.

It matters very little whether the body has 9-point focussing or 5-point, unless you are into action photography, or other speciality work.
More metering modes are probabably more useful.

Incidentally, how big blow-ups are you intending to make from your pictures?
If 90% of your prints are below 8x10 or if you don't do extreme cropping, a 6MP camera is more than enough for most work.
Shoot in RAW mode if you want better quality, though.

And, to tell you the truth, your lenses are low-end consumer models--not particularly fast or high quality. So, why waste money on a high end body?
It is far better idea to get a low-end body and high-end Canon lenses (the L lenses).
Old 10th April 2006, 19:47   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I'm really out of touch with the Film-to-digital upgrade for now but i think ur lens will work, you can test ur lens on the body before buying them. I dunno bout the specs of EOS20D/30D but the sensor size on a Digital camera is smaller with respect to 35mm film so the 28-90mm lens on a Digital Slr will be 80-120mm or something unless its a full size sensor which i doubt it is ... keeping this in mind u would have to buy your lens for the digital camera. But now manufactures are already building lens keeping the sensor size in mind like nikon's "D" lens. Infact you should look at google for articles on Film-to-digital upgrade or migration whatever u call it.

Cheers
Old 10th April 2006, 21:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon
Hi,
I am in a fix deciding combination of lens + camera, i need your help suggestion, experinence on this.
I have a canon Rebel 2000 + canon AF 28-80 mm lens + Tamron AF 80-210mm lens. I have been using this kit for more than 5 years now..
Now i am planning to upgrage to EOS -20D or 30D ( thought of 350D but 30D is better) Since i already have 2 lenses ( AF) can i use these lenses on the 20D or 30D.. Can i use these lesnses first of all, so that i can just buy the camera body now and invest on a wide angle lens in future which i always wanted?
As i know, the AF lenses have 7 point AF system but the 20D and 30D support 9 point Autofocus system. Is this going to create a mismatch and ultimately AF not working.. Also i believe the sensors and the metal contacts on the lens are different, will this create a serious problem?
I am in such a fix i am not able to decide which one to go for..just the body or put extra dough on the lenses? help..
thanks,
-shaz
The canon AF lenses will work fine but the focal length will get multiplied by 1.6. So if you are a wide-angle afficionado you will be disappointed as 28 mm becomes 45 mm.
Old 10th April 2006, 23:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
Is that the one mentioned a canon EF 28-90mm Auto Focus lens or am i mistaken???
Hi tifosikrishna,
Nope i was refering to AF 28-90mm lens which comes with 35mm SLR. The Digital SLRs now come with EF lenses.
Old 10th April 2006, 23:17   #7
BHPian

Hi Giri,
Thanks for your feedback..

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri
Incidentally, how big blow-ups are you intending to make from your pictures?
If 90% of your prints are below 8x10 or if you don't do extreme cropping, a 6MP camera is more than enough for most work.
Shoot in RAW mode if you want better quality, though.
I am not a pro photographer.. a hobbyist into nature photography, landscapes, architectures, tried my had at sports but as u said my lenses are not meant for that thats the reason i want to save up for better lenses and wide angle lenses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri
lenses are low-end consumer models--not particularly fast or high quality. So, why waste money on a high end body?
It is far better idea to get a low-end body and high-end Canon lenses (the L lenses).
Why am i spending a fortune on high end digital cameras. well i thought of 350D which is entry level costs arnd $800-$900 but i would miss metering modes and also want to experiment with more options..a 20D body now costs arnd $1100-$1200 its worth paying the extra $200..
your comments on these?
Old 10th April 2006, 23:27   #8
BHPian

Thanks Oldmobile and aZa,
Yeah i am aware of the focal multiplier of 1.6 ..this makes my present set of lenses useless for closeups and wide angle shots.. thats the reason i want to spend the extra $400 on a good wide angle lens and reuse the lenses which i already have..
Even i am not sure about the Tamron working with D20. i have to check that out.
Old 11th April 2006, 10:32   #9
Team-BHP Support

The cheapest Canon super wide is the 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 it retails about $600-700. However I would try and get rid fo teh 28-90 and get the 17-85 instead it has a much more useful range and can be got for under $500. if you get a few $$ for the 28-90 you can use it towards teh 17-85.

with a DSLR I would stick to a 2 lens package unless you are shooting indoors. Dust on a sensor can cause you to loose a good shot. The 17-85 can be supplemented with a $500 Canon 70-300 IS when you can afford it.

OT: wish Nikon has a cheap IS zoom.

Last edited by navin : 11th April 2006 at 10:36.
Old 11th April 2006, 13:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
The cheapest Canon super wide is the 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 it retails about $600-700. However I would try and get rid fo teh 28-90 and get the 17-85 instead it has a much more useful range and can be got for under $500. if you get a few $$ for the 28-90 you can use it towards teh 17-85.
i dont think i can offord $700 for a lens.. :( but yeah.. going for a 17-85 is a good idea i was looking for a ultra wide zoom 16-35 or 17-40... the kit lens which comes with the camera is the 18-55..sort of no where

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
with a DSLR I would stick to a 2 lens package unless you are shooting indoors. Dust on a sensor can cause you to loose a good shot. The 17-85 can be supplemented with a $500 Canon 70-300 IS when you can afford it.
OT: wish Nikon has a cheap IS zoom.
70-300 mm is my dream again i need to save up for that
Old 11th April 2006, 14:10   #11
Team-BHP Support

Check out the canon 20D/30D forum on http://dpreview.com. This has been discussed there.
As for wide angle any lens you buy will have its focal length multiplied by 1.6
So 10mm is 16.
In sub 400$ range you can have 17mm as widest which translates to around 28mm.

Best option for you will be getting the Kit lens(Costs $80 or so in US)
As for third party lenses, sometimes you get focus errors with camera front focusing or back focusing. This is most evident to ultra fast lenses(even canon f1.4s) for the 350D. In case of 20D/30D focus issues are pretty rare and it focuses faster.
Old 11th April 2006, 17:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

I have used a few 3rd party lenses including the well regrded Sigma and Tamron lenses as well as a few Tokina ATX Pro. Neither of them focuses as fast on my D70/N80 (I am an Nikon user) as the Nikon lenses I have used. Even the 18-70DX and 28-105 focus faster than their 3rd party equivalents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks