Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2006, 02:01   #31
BHPian

I know the N91 is hyper cool and all that. But doesnt anyone think that a phone with a hard disk will be very fragile.... i mean one fall and "KAPUT goes the phone"

I'm not sure bout u guys, But i seem to drop my phone evey second day.
Not sure how i will ever be able to preserve this beast for more than a day. :-)
Old 2nd May 2006, 05:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled
I know the N91 is hyper cool and all that. But doesnt anyone think that a phone with a hard disk will be very fragile.... i mean one fall and "KAPUT goes the phone"

I'm not sure bout u guys, But i seem to drop my phone evey second day.
Not sure how i will ever be able to preserve this beast for more than a day. :-)

1. no the harddrive are shock protected. certainly phone manufacturers as big as nokia and samsung know that phones are bound to be dropped many times in their lifecycle

2. look at siemens m75 for your use. its dust proof, shock proof and water droplets resistant.
Old 2nd May 2006, 15:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
devarshi84
SamsungI300x has poor battery life !
Fuelled
It's available on Delhi Imate-jasjar/O2 exec /T-mobile Mda pro are same,
Mda pro =37k
O2 exec=39k (withoutbill)
I-mate only come with with bill !
what do you mean that I-mate comes only with a bill?????
i bought i-mate JasJar in December without bill for 48K from Gaffar Market, New Delhi.
and even my friend bought it for 50k about 15days before me.
Old 2nd May 2006, 16:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
1. no the harddrive are shock protected. certainly phone manufacturers as big as nokia and samsung know that phones are bound to be dropped many times in their lifecycle
I know about the shock protected drive, with rubber mounts and drop sensor.
But the HD is a moving device.. n is bound to fail with drops that are very common. Even laptops drive fail due to drops.

I'm not against N91 but i think the W950i wud be better with the flash memory.

After all HD have about 300-500g protection vs flash memory which is easily over 3000g

Last edited by Fuelled : 2nd May 2006 at 16:17.
Old 2nd May 2006, 16:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know about the shock protected drive, with rubber mounts and drop sensor.
But the HD is a moving device.. n is bound to fail with drops that are very common. Even laptops drive fail due to drops.

I'm not against N91 but i think the W950i wud be better with the flash memory.

After all HD have about 300-500g protection vs flash memory which is easily over 3000g

LOL.$ this is not the same hard drive as the one in our computers. Google up and you will find it out or else I will post here later.
Old 2nd May 2006, 17:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
LOL.$ this is not the same hard drive as the one in our computers. Google up and you will find it out or else I will post here later.
Dude i never said desktop HDs were used. But its a known fact that flash is much more reliable. As for new generation microdrives.. even they claim only 400g protection if operational at time of drop.

So i dont see the point of N91. much rather get myself a w950i, or a w810 with a 4gig card.

but honestly the HD is the reason ppl wil buy that phone and that HD rather than flash will be a reason for equal amounts not to buy it too.
Old 3rd May 2006, 05:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

here are the details of the n91 micro-drive.

The drive is manufactured by Hitachi, I shall remind you that it has purchased the division of IBM, which claimed the title of pioneers in the field of these devices. The name of the line-up was corresponding - Microdrive. Nokia N91 features a new model of this drive – Microdrive 3K4-4. Its characteristics are quite good and to some extent can be compared to flash memory:

Cache buffer 128 Кб
Speed 3600 rpm
Latency Average – 8.33 ms
Media Transfer Rate – 57.1-97.9 (max. Mbits/s)
Sustained Data Rate – 4.3-7.2 (Mb/s)
Seek time (read, typical) – 12 ms, track to track – 1 ms, full track – 22 ms
Limit of 300000 cycles of on/off

Those, who are fond of digging in the internal part of phones, will be surprised by the fact that the hard drive, featured in Nokia N91 has the dimensions of 32х24 mm, rather than the standard 42х36 mm. The explanation lies in use of CompactFlash II connector by most of the companies, incorporating Microdrive disks into their solutions, though Nokia declined the idea of using a disk in the standard shell. It means that the hard drive, presented here is an analogue of Microdrive 3K4-4, but it differs in shell, which was replaced by a special socket on Nokia N91 chip (located lower than the camera’s module, but above the battery, exactly under the safety casing). The developers applied here not only floating support for the disk, but also a special casing, which amortizes all blows. From above the disk is also protected by a soft rubber cover, which deflects frontal blows and lowers noise level at the same time. To tell the truth, one can rarely hear the disk itself – only in cases when you hold the handset in your hands do some inhumane experiments, e.g. open the rear lid and instantly pull out the battery. The interface connector is designed specially for this model and is aimed at lowering the place, occupied by the hard drive.

The cover has a pressure sensor, so once the battery's cover is removed, the disk automatically turns off. This process takes up to one second. Another precaution is acceleration sensor – in case the device is falling from a height more than 1 meter, the hard disk switches off, so it may avoid a certain amount of damage, since exactly when turned on, the disk is vulnerable to mechanical effects. For good reason we didn’t try to carry out stress tests, since all throws could hurt the screen, rather than the hard drive, because protection level featured in Nokia N91 is higher than in all other devices using Microdrive. There are some numbers regarding durability of iPOD Mini – after a certain period operation most of devices work fine, and no wonder about it, as here the developers also used the system, applied to N91.

Temperature conditions, stated by the manufacturers are 0-70 degree centigrade. At the same time the User guide features the fact that one should observe the temperature conditions, otherwise the hard disk will just switch off, though no exact numbers are stated. Taking into account Russia being a country with cold climate, we decided to test the model in the conditions of temperature below zero. In order to carry out this test, we used a freezer with the handset inside it. At five degrees below zero the device worked without any visible errors – it kept playing back music and even didn’t turn off. At -10 everything seemed to be the fine, though at twelve degrees below zero, the phone refused to work with hard drive. In practice this means that the handset endures any winter conditions and temperatures, as you will carry it only your pocket. However the shell remains very cold – metal is metal anyways.

Each manufacturer tries to tie the amount of external memory to a certain number of tracks which can be stored on the handset. At this they make a footnote that all calculations were carried out on the basis of some exact length of each track etc. The reason of all these complicated actions is concealed from me, since stating storage size is already more than enough. I doubt whether many remember how many space requires this or that album or all tracks in sum. In short, there is no need in providing users with such information.

Energy consumption is an essential parameter for a hard drive and here Nokia N91 is riding high. It was very easy to check how much time the device will last with network part turned on and constant tracks playback. We uploaded around 900 songs with mp3 extension, which totaled 3.7 Gb, set them for random playback (this prevents cache buffer use), plugged in headphones and adjusted volume to the middle. In these conditions the device managed to work around 10 hours and this is really worthy performance, comparable with most of the modern MP3 players life time, which use the same hard drive (e.g. Creative MuVo2 4Gb with announced 14 hours of life time, though in practice it lasts not more than 11-12 hours).
Old 3rd May 2006, 12:24   #38
BANNED

i checked the phone out yesterday i picked it up and its freaking huge i was like eh ? ? ? looks totally put me off its very weird for sure the package is attractive i love the handsfree lovely from what nokia offers for so long. id say wait get a better looking model than this. only for 4gb at the price of rs. 31000 i think a good ipod video 60gb is worth for rs. 19000 for, and damn id carry a phone and ipod together for sure.
Old 3rd May 2006, 13:00   #39
BHPian

mann.. N91 cost's 31k...!!!
Old 3rd May 2006, 13:08   #40
BANNED

toy car
The Dealer price(DP) of N91 is 28.5k Company price ,They max earn 200-1000 rs profit I've sold mine for 28k yesterday bought it for 32k on sunday ! u can get N91 for 29k or so !
Old 3rd May 2006, 13:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
I've sold mine for 28k yesterday bought it for 32k on sunday
Hey unknown,

Only 1 Question.. Why you sold ?

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 3rd May 2006, 15:01   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power
Hey unknown,

Only 1 Question.. Why you sold ?
Hi there,
Coz Key are too Small, Back get's warm up quickly maybe it's due to hardrive or battery,Sound from loudspeaker is Not loud a bit low,Restareted itself, overall not stable device !
Old 3rd May 2006, 18:42   #43
BHPian

@devarshi

Dude next time quote the link from where u got the info too, considering the fact that the mods dont like it if u dont give the source link/credits to the original author.
http://mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n91-en.shtml

N i've read that article.. n somehow the n91 didnt turn out the phone i was hoping for. THe 3.5mm aduio jack is stil a nice touch though.
Old 3rd May 2006, 18:45   #44
BHPian

there are people in Delhi who can get you phones which are still to be launched like N80 and N 92,, any body with genuine contacts ????
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@devarshi

Dude next time quote the link from where u got the info too, considering the fact that the mods dont like it if u dont give the source link/credits to the original author.
http://mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n91-en.shtml

N i've read that article.. n somehow the n91 didnt turn out the phone i was hoping for. THe 3.5mm aduio jack is stil a nice touch though.

thanks for the info. I must have forgotten this time around. Yes n91 is not good enough. Try samsung i300x though. the best samsung ever produced. comes with windows, 4 gig, stereo speaker but lacks wi-fi. the best music phone would be moto rokr E2 with linux. RokrE2 is said to be the best music phone out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude
there are people in Delhi who can get you phones which are still to be launched like N80 and N 92,, any body with genuine contacts ????
Wadhwa Ajay
Even I can help you with these. LOL!

axually there are two ways phone come out beforehand.
1. Launched in Another country
2. Pre production Units.

I have had nokia n-gage, siemens sx1 and sonyericsson p990 before they came to India. Sold them at a profit except for siemens sx1 which I kept for sometime longer.

I would stay away from such phones and wait. No probs with grey phones though

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd May 2006 at 20:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks