Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 16:36   #16
BHPian

Re: All about MiFi routers - data connectivity on the move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulG View Post
I would suggest to go for HUAWEI U5510.
I recently purchased a similar product from Huawei called E5832, from a dealer in eBay for Rs.2,600 but he was selling these products that was unlocked from Orange. It had a very weak wifi signal range so I had to return it back and get my refund. And since it was a third party unlocked device, I couldn't get the warranty from Huawei.

It seems there is a better and more expensive item from Huawei called E560 (http://www.huaweidevice.co.in/Produc...dband/E560.php) and this has way better reviews and official one year warranty. The D-Link has something similar but it does not have the useful LCD display like the Huawei but it has a 3 year warranty.

Anyway, I thought to purchase this from a local shop and try it out instead of making another mistake via an online sale. I asked for the E560 but they suggested the same U5510 , saying it has the disadvantage of lower battery life but it makes up by having dual sim, excellent wifi router, you can check the data balance via the screen or reply to text sms with offers and such. It did seem way more practical than the dedicated wifi and I can plug it in the power socket when needed. Unfortunately my Bold does not support tethering and even if it did, I need to take the postpaid connection which is way expensive.
I tried the E5832 with BSNL and Tata Docomo and I felt the Docomo was way more better in 3G speed.

I planned to get the wifi only iPad 4 and I thought if I am indeed truly mobile for a long time, I need to purchase the wifi+4G sim option. If not, I can use these mobile wifi when needed.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 13th December 2012 at 16:39.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:45   #17
BHPian

I recently purchased a 32GB Wifi only iPad 4 with MiFi router in mind for roaming mobile access. I'm on the hunt for a 4G compatible sim-free router (future-proof) and all roads are leading to Huawei. I'll post my findings as soon as I finalise one.

Cheers.

Last edited by ventoman : 13th December 2012 at 17:47.
Old 6th February 2013, 09:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
I recently purchased a 32GB Wifi only iPad 4 with MiFi router in mind for roaming mobile access. I'm on the hunt for a 4G compatible sim-free router (future-proof) and all roads are leading to Huawei. I'll post my findings as soon as I finalise one.

Cheers.
Hi Ventoman, Have you purchased the device? If so, please share your thoughts.
Old 6th February 2013, 12:31   #19

I bought one from Ebay for 1190/- does not have a brand name, but does the job nicely, A similar branded as Hame is also availiable in the market for around 1800/- bucks, used both of them, did not find much difference, battery life is 2 - 2.5 hrs, Manufacturers though claim 4 hours. Its a plug and play device, I usually connect my photon.

Ebay link
http://www.ebay.in/itm/New-5-1-3G-Mo...item1c2f31402c
Old 6th February 2013, 22:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Hi Ventoman, Have you purchased the device? If so, please share your thoughts.
Unfortunately, I abandoned MiFi search and instead using Bluetooth tethering from my mobile to iPad which is extremely convenient and doesn't eat up that much of battery unlike WiFi tethering. So I'll stick with this option rather than having to carry MiFi separately.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:26   #21
BHPian

I got the vodafone mifi last year. Found out on a recent visit to Sri Lanka that it is locked onto the vodafone network only and won't accept other sim cards. But vodafone doesn't offer a service in Sri Lanka. Is locking permitted when I have paid full price for the router and the service? Even when in india it latches on mostly to Airtel service, and there are no separate roaming charges. then why should it be locked onto vodafone sim? Any adviseon how to handle this with vodafone?

Last edited by Wheeliej : 7th February 2013 at 11:28.
Old 25th June 2013, 21:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a device that :
- works as a MiFi router that can support at least 3 android tablets simultaneously
- works as a media hub
- can be paired to a bluetooth device
...all at the same time. That is, the device should stream a video to 3 tablets and stream the video's audio to a bluetooth-enabled stereo system.

Something like this; this device can do the first 2 actions only however:
http://www.spyderstyle.com/jetstream-mobile-media-hub/#

TIA..!

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 25th June 2013 at 21:51.
Old 25th June 2013, 21:38   #23
HKS
BHPian

I used the Tata Photon. It was crap, got heated in every2-3 hours

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks