Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2006, 20:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Problem connecting Laptop to TV

I am having a problem connecting my laptop to the TV.

Laptop has S-video out, while the TV accepts component input. I am connecting the laptop using "S-video -> component input (RCA?)" cable.

Laptop model : IBM Thinkpad T43.
TV Model : Sony Wega 29" (without S-video input).

Problem : I can see 2 colors, but third color is missing all the time. It is as if there isn't one cable out of 3. I suspected that it is a problem with cable, but its replacement does the same. I wonder, why? Is there any specific problem or am I just doing something wrong?

Any help will be appreciated. I could not find much information on net on this.
Old 19th May 2006, 20:29   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Is there a monitor out on ur laptop ? and check the NTSC / PAL settings... that will be in Display properties in ur windows XP and the TV settings for the TV. A NTSC/PAL mismatch results in color fade and audio issues and also resolution issues.
Old 19th May 2006, 21:22   #3
BHPian

You should be connecting your S-Video out from the laptop to S-Video in on the TV. Should an S-Video in be missing on the TV, you should easily find an S-Video to composite (single RCA, not component) video in adapter, which will allow you to hook into the TV's composite Video in.

Set your TV to Multi-mode as well, so it automatically chooses between PAL/NTSC as needed.
Old 19th May 2006, 22:11   #4
BHPian

Select PAL !! also on ur settings
Old 20th May 2006, 13:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil
You should be connecting your S-Video out from the laptop to S-Video in on the TV. Should an S-Video in be missing on the TV, you should easily find an S-Video to composite (single RCA, not component) video in adapter, which will allow you to hook into the TV's composite Video in.
Ouch! Does this mean I can not pass S-video out of laptop to component input of TV? Too bad! But probably it is not as bad as watching 2 color picture. So will this single RCA cable have only single output cable as against 3 output cables which I have currently?
Old 20th May 2006, 13:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hi RX135,

As Airfoil mentioned, first take a minute to google and see the difference between component and composite.
Once you figure that out i think u will solve your problem!

cya
R

PS - what you want is composite - One yellow RCA (video) and 1 red and 1 white (stereo audio)
component is - 1 Red 1 Green and 1 Blue RCA (for video); 1red and 1 white (stereo audio)

You might be plugging the composite output into the component input on your WEGA...?

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th May 2006 at 13:23.
Old 21st May 2006, 06:37   #7
BHPian

look firstly there is only 1 video (Yellow) wire i have my laptop and desktop connected to my TV all the time. S-Video is only the video no audio is there in it
Old 21st May 2006, 17:11   #8
BHPian

I download most of movies on my 160 GB HDD, Connect to TV (My motherboard has TV out) ,thats it, Enjoy whole Movie on TV ..

Check out for S Video Out & connect to TV in
Old 21st May 2006, 17:29   #9
BHPian

Have you checked the display settings of your computer..

if not right click on the desktop and goto properties, then goto Settings and check the box which says extend my windows desktop onto this monitor.. works fine for me.

Plus ive connected by using the S-Video out in my laptop and Video (in) on my tv. For the audio, Audio (out) in the computer to Audio (In Right and left) in the tv. Works like a charm.
Old 22nd May 2006, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone! My TV has component input but no S-video in. If I connect s-video to component in of TV, picture appears but 2 color. If I connect to composite in of TV, nothing appears.

Rehaan, Thanks! I had searched and seen theory behind composite/s-video/component, but when it comes to connecting my laptop to TV, nothing works. *another banging head in frustration.. cut off due to 1-smiley per post limit*
Old 22nd May 2006, 13:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Ok,

So i assume one end of your cable is a single S-Video plug and the other end has 3 RCA plugs (Red,Green,Blue) ? Correct?

Now plug in as u have, and put a multi-coloured picture up on the screen.
Remove the Red plug and leave the other 2 in. See if this makes a difference to the picture colour/tint.
Do the same with Blue and Green, (ie remove them one at a time and leave the other 2 in and see if it makes a difference).

IF/When you remove one of the plugs and it doesnt make a difference, there might be a problem with that part of your cable.

Give it a shot and let me know what happens.
If a difference is noticed all 3 times, then it will probably be a setting / compatability issue..... lets see...
cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd May 2006 at 13:40.
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

1. You are right about the cable part, i.e. one S-video input end and 3 cables (RGB) on output end.
  2. I have noticed that one of the output cables does not make any difference. So just as you said, I suspected a problem with cable. I replaced the cable with new one. Exactly same problem repeats. So it doesn't seem to be a problem with cables. (The guy checked every cables connectivity on multimeter).
  3. Now, I suspected problem with laptop s-video port. I tried it on 2 laptops that I have. Same problem with both of them.
  4. End result is, myself ---->
I am very sure that I am missing some minor, but very basic thing which I am not able to figure out so far. I am going to try it out all over again and will update this thread as and when I find it out.

Thanks for all your help, Rehaan! Send me more tips whatever you can think of.
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:10   #13
Team-BHP Support

Try going into your TV menu and seeing if a "Sync on colour" option exists for your component input.

If it exists, change it and see if it makes a diff.
Old 25th May 2006, 10:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Tried it all over again as well as read more material on net. Same results!

I am not sure what the 3 output cables really are for. As I read more, I realized that though s-video separates brightness and color into 2 signals, it is not same as component and hence can not be used directly with component input of TV. I see, b/w picture with one output cable (Y) connection. Other cable gives one color, blue or red, depending on which input socket on TV I am connecting to. I am not sure, but looks like 3rd output cable is redudant(?).

Only 1 thing I have not checked so far. My TV uses "Auto" to detect input singal type, NTSC/PAL/SECAM. I am yet to force it to NTSC and see if that helps. If this fails, I should look for up-converter between s-video and component input. Or, I should simply downconvert the signal from s-video to composite. Now, finding all these cables/converters in Pune is going to be a pain in neck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks