Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2006, 12:39   #16
DRC
BHPian

I think Digital Vampire got the meat of the matter.

Yes, You can not transmit s-video or CVS for more than a few meters. So you have to take it in a carrier, like a modulated signal.

If it is a cable what cable operators use, then the cable is good enough for modulated signal too.

What DV mentioned as disadvantage, can be advantage too. You can have a RF mixer at the camera end and still have 2 channels at the receiving end. Just flick of your TV will work fine.

Dont think of CAT 5/6 ot ethernet, or wireless anything for that matter.
Old 9th June 2006, 12:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
What DV mentioned as disadvantage, can be advantage too. You can have a RF mixer at the camera end and still have 2 channels at the receiving end. Just flick of your TV will work fine.
Exactly...You just need to use one more RF modulator(diff channel) for the second camera and you can even combine the RF output into one by use a CATV splitter (Yes... RF splitter if used in reverse can act as a mixer too). You can avoid the video switch in this case

This solution is quite scalable too...just add more cameras and RF modulators and you can even watch all the cameras simultaneously over different TV's..lol.. We are almost approaching a CATV headend solution for a simple CCTV installation...lol

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 9th June 2006 at 12:49.
Old 16th June 2006, 12:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Samurai

Why go into all that trouble when you can use THIS SIMPLE SOLUTION

YOu have wired / wireless ethernet in your office which is part of the same commercial complex. Its just a simple matter of hooking up this product to your LAN - you can then open a browser window at home and watch whats happening.
Old 17th June 2006, 08:12   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
YOu have wired / wireless ethernet in your office which is part of the same commercial complex. Its just a simple matter of hooking up this product to your LAN - you can then open a browser window at home and watch whats happening.
Just 3 problems with this solution.

1) The broadband at home and work belongs my company and not the commercial complex.
2) The broadband in India is not unlimited, we have only 8GB/month. If we have continous video streaming, it will run out in days that too on both ends. The broadband solution has very high running cost. The only way this can work is if we have fiber cabling between the two buildings, which has lot more capital cost.
3) My father-in-law is not computer savvy and therefore he won't be open to it. This whole CCTV requirement is his, not mine.
Old 17th June 2016, 17:54   #20
Team-BHP Support

re: Remote CCTV viewing

I can't believe I am reviving this thread exactly 10 years later.

Technology has surely moved a lot since then. Anyway, I have a very similar requirement, but looking for a wireless solution.

Just bought a CCTV NVR which will be placed in our office datacenter. But the TV it needs to connect is at the reception, and the electrician tells me it needs 95ft of hdmi cabling. That means cable option is out, and it will be ugly too.

The NVR and TV have no wifi, but support HDMI. So I am hoping for a HDMI over Wifi kind of solution. The TV is only 40ft away as the crow flies, separately by only one concrete wall.

Is there a good HDMI to Wifi transmitter-receiver pair I can plug on either side and get this working?

Last edited by Samurai : 17th June 2016 at 17:55.
Old 17th June 2016, 18:23   #21
BHPian

Re: Remote CCTV viewing

Recently we have done some extensive CCTV installation in our apartment complex in Bangalore, including in some very inaccessible areas. You can talk to Subramanya on 98452 65218. He can give some very interesting solutions for complex problems. Try him out.
Old 17th June 2016, 18:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I can't believe I am reviving this thread exactly 10 years later.

Technology has surely moved a lot since then. Anyway, I have a very similar requirement, but looking for a wireless solution.

Just bought a CCTV NVR which will be placed in our office datacenter. But the TV it needs to connect is at the reception, and the electrician tells me it needs 95ft of hdmi cabling. That means cable option is out, and it will be ugly too.

The NVR and TV have no wifi, but support HDMI. So I am hoping for a HDMI over Wifi kind of solution. The TV is only 40ft away as the crow flies, separately by only one concrete wall.

Is there a good HDMI to Wifi transmitter-receiver pair I can plug on either side and get this working?
How much is your budget?

HDMI-WIFI-HDMI solutions cost 200$ approx. eg
https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHD...g=thewire06-20

These have transmitter and receiver.
So HDMI out from camera -> over the air -> HDMI in TV

This is the simplest solution.

Other options are more conventional. If your camera is an IP camera, you can buy any roku digital TV kind of dongle (50$) and simply connect to the camera feed. But this is more complicated. It makes your TV into a smart TV though.

Since its for office, simple transmitter-receiver combo is the best bet I guess
Old 17th June 2016, 18:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
You can talk to Subramanya on 98452 65218. He can give some very interesting solutions for complex problems. Try him out.
Thanks, but the location is 400kms away from Bangalore. Besides, I am trying for a vendorless solution. The whole CCTV was built the same way, I got the IP cameras, 16 channel NVR, POE switch & 4TB drives from Amazon and set it all up in our network. This is the last part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How much is your budget?
These have transmitter and receiver.
So HDMI out from camera -> over the air -> HDMI in TV

This is the simplest solution.
This is what I am looking for, but at half the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Other options are more conventional. If your camera is an IP camera, you can buy any roku digital TV kind of dongle (50$) and simply connect to the camera feed. But this is more complicated. It makes your TV into a smart TV though.
Not just camera, I need to deal with 10+ IP cameras. Therefore, the feed has to come from the NVR.

I just realised there is another way. The NVR also provides a web based live view, which can be accessed on company wifi. If I can attach an USB adapter to the TV that can display that web, that would work too. What are the options for this?
Old 17th June 2016, 19:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
If I can attach an USB adapter to the TV that can display that web, that would work too. What are the options for this?
A raspberry pi connected to the tv?
Old 17th June 2016, 19:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I just realised there is another way. The NVR also provides a web based live view, which can be accessed on company wifi. If I can attach an USB adapter to the TV that can display that web, that would work too. What are the options for this?
Hi, I guess you have the HIKVision NVR. Even I'm planning to setup my PC to NVR through web based live view. For this I believe your TV should be connected to your PC on same LAN. Then on the NVR you need to setup an ip address and the same has to be entered on your PC web browser for live view. Please see instructions below.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/uedito...f5bfb7e125.pdf

Can you please mention the model number of your ip camera.
Old 17th June 2016, 19:32   #26
Team-BHP Support

My NVR is HIKVISION DS-7616NI-E2. The cameras are mostly DS-2CD2032-I 3.0MP Mini IR Bullet, some are dome type.

There is no PC in the setup. Just cameras, NVR and 40 inch LED TV.
Old 17th June 2016, 19:54   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
adapter to the TV that can display that web, that would work too. What are the options for this?
Android quad core dongle or solution two. Its actually HDMI adapter. So you can open the web page on the TV and view any number of feeds you like. Go for something with 2GB+ RAM and a Octa core processor though (90-100$)
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:27   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
A raspberry pi connected to the tv?
At first I didn't consider this seriously since I didn't think Raspberry Pi could handle so many video feeds. When all other options dried out on cost or availability, we decided to check out this option. Had a 1st Gen RPi in the office, so we tried it out.

As I was looking at how to configure it, I suddenly realised a great advantage to this method. Right now I have one DVR connected to all the older analog cameras. And I have a NVR connected to all the newer IP cameras. Using the omxplayer software on RPi, I can combine a bunch of rtsp streams from the DVR and a bunch of rtsp streams from the NVR into a single matrix view. I can even pick the display size of each feed and customise the layout. Even the older 1st Gen RPi could handle 9 substreams (352x288) without a hitch. But it can't handle higher resolutions like 640x480 feeds. So I am ordering a 3rd Gen RPi which is way more powerful, and still just 3K.

The TV has ready access to Ethernet as well as wifi. So this method worked out beautifully and very cheap, thank you very much.
Old 24th June 2016, 16:25   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My NVR is HIKVISION DS-7616NI-E2. The cameras are mostly DS-2CD2032-I 3.0MP Mini IR Bullet, some are dome type.

There is no PC in the setup. Just cameras, NVR and 40 inch LED TV.
Hi , I have a couple of queries

1. What is the max length of cable that the NVR can power without leading to signal strength loss. If the length of cabling between the NVR and the camera is say 100 feet, will the NVR be able to power the power and work smoothly or will it require a booster

2. I have heard that IP cameras are PoE or PoN type when it comes to power input. Can a PoE type be used with an NVR?
Old 24th June 2016, 16:31   #30
Team-BHP Support

NVRs don't always have POE ports. The NVR I bought has just one ethernet port to connect to the network. I use a separate POE switch to drive the IP cameras, in the last mile run. For example, the closest RJ45 jack for the remotest IP camera is at the guard room. So I a placed the POE injector at the guard room. NVR with POE ports assumes you can reach every camera within reasonable distance.

The max length is dictated by the Ethernet specs. About 100 meters is the practical limit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks