Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2006, 19:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

EDGE in India

Hi Guys,
I have recently bought an Imate K-Jam which is EDGE enabled. Now I did some research and found that Hutch has deployed EDGE in India (its on their website). They are charging 500 RS per month and also offering services like Hutch TV etc. Is anyone using this? How much speed are you getting on an EDGE set?
Is Airtel also offering this in Delhi? I have seen they have deployed EDGE in Delhi, and other metros, but its not mentioned on their site??? I am an airtel user and would prefer airtel.
Lastly how much speed can I expect with an Edge set?
Old 12th June 2006, 19:46   #2
BHPian

Hi Aseem,

EDGE is basically a technology which lets u browse the net at a much faster speed compared 2 the other GPRS handsets.

I have been using EDGE from hutch on my Nokia 7710 handsets since 3 months without any issues and at a good speed of atleast 42kbps.

The Benefits which made me opt for EDGE service are :
  • Faster Browsing
  • Net connectivity 2 the Laptop
  • Email on Cell
  • Messenger on Cell
If u need any of the services which u will use then u can opt for EDGE or else a simple GPRS connection will also help u browse the net on cellphone.
Old 12th June 2006, 20:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareone
Hi Aseem,

EDGE is basically a technology which lets u browse the net at a much faster speed compared 2 the other GPRS handsets.

I have been using EDGE from hutch on my Nokia 7710 handsets since 3 months without any issues and at a good speed of atleast 42kbps.

The Benefits which made me opt for EDGE service are :
  • Faster Browsing
  • Net connectivity 2 the Laptop
  • Email on Cell
  • Messenger on Cell
If u need any of the services which u will use then u can opt for EDGE or else a simple GPRS connection will also help u browse the net on cellphone.
Hey, good to hear. But theoritically u can get 42 kbps on normal GPRS phone.... I thought with EDGE you should get around 172 kbps... etc. Is is not the case? Most of the things like Net Connectivity via Laptop, Email on Cell and Messenger on Cell can be achieved on a GPRS phone... So if EDGE is not giving us higher speeds, than whats the point of Hutch or Airtel deploying EDGE?
???
Old 12th June 2006, 20:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Hey, good to hear. But theoritically u can get 42 kbps on normal GPRS phone.... I thought with EDGE you should get around 172 kbps... etc. Is is not the case? Most of the things like Net Connectivity via Laptop, Email on Cell and Messenger on Cell can be achieved on a GPRS phone... So if EDGE is not giving us higher speeds, than whats the point of Hutch or Airtel deploying EDGE?
???
The Difference between EDGE over GPRS is u get better connectivity, u are able 2 browse all the sites even the sites which dont support grps, u can have live messenger installed on ur cell thru which u can chat (i m not talkin abt messenger thru sms), and also better connectivity 2 laptop.
Old 12th June 2006, 20:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareone
The Difference between EDGE over GPRS is u get better connectivity, u are able 2 browse all the sites even the sites which dont support grps, u can have live messenger installed on ur cell thru which u can chat (i m not talkin abt messenger thru sms), and also better connectivity 2 laptop.
Are we confusing WAP and GPRS? Any GPRS phone that supports html will browse all sites? wont it? I maybe wrong here, but I am still trying to learn these things.
Old 12th June 2006, 21:25   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Ok EDGE is a Technology, GPRS is a service. EDGE is also known as eGPRS this is a 2.5G milestone in our journey to the 3G mobile services. EDGE technically can offer broadband based speeds in ideal conditions, but Network coverage, signal strenght and cell size and cell strenght in the end contributes to the user obtainable speeds. In reality EDGE is way faster than the normal GPRS fones, but u can't obtain those theoritical speeds atleast here in india. But yes u can download/watch videos and use it with computers and all that. HUTCH and AIRTEL both provide these services. In hutch its called "HUTCH ACCESS". I'm a Hutch access user and the speeds i get on my 6630 can be termed as FAST
Old 12th June 2006, 22:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Are we confusing WAP and GPRS? Any GPRS phone that supports html will browse all sites? wont it? I maybe wrong here, but I am still trying to learn these things.
"GPRS and WAP are very2 different. in analogy, GPRS is the highway and WAP is the vehicle that uses the highway.See the difference?
Most WAP-enabled phones uses WAP to access the Internet. But, PDAs usually equipped with full OS and full web browser suite which allow the access to the Web using the standard HTTP and HTTPS protocols.
" ....http://www.computing.net/pda/wwwboard/forum/1843.html

I doubt if all GPRS phones ability to browse all sites. YOu need a good browser to load the full html page correctly. Older phones needed wap sites ( just text pages)

Last edited by jkdas : 12th June 2006 at 22:25.
Old 13th June 2006, 05:16   #8
BHPian

Well Nice definitions, but let me know how many Indian Cell providers have network that really support EDGE ?

Forget BSNL & local networks, I think even Airtel & HUTCH gota problems with speeds on EDGE
Old 13th June 2006, 11:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
I doubt if all GPRS phones ability to browse all sites. YOu need a good browser to load the full html page correctly. Older phones needed wap sites ( just text pages)
With Airtel in India I get pretty decent speeds on GPRS, almost the same as normal dialup.

The question you have raised here is about the phone's capability, not the protocol's. Whether a GPRS or EDGE phone, the browser's ability will enhance or retard the surfing experience.

I have no issues with the latest version of Pocket Internet Explorer for Windows Mobile. Mozilla is beta testing their MiniMo for pocket PCs and phones but the experience is far from painless on Windows Mobile. Opera has browsers for most phone/pda platforms too, but they're not strong on Windows Mobile.
Old 13th June 2006, 11:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Airtel was FAST in cities and big towns, donno why. And Opera Mini is a bit faster, than the regular Opera. But regular Opera is teh best.
Old 15th June 2006, 06:05   #11
BHPian

Thank u for the comment. But I am happy with my cable connection. I dont think I can download whole movies of 1 GB DVD Rips using GPRS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks