Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 11:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Windows XP: No updates after April 2014. Should I upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Couple of issues here:
1) The reported issue is Internet Explorer bug, not XP (as OS bug).
2) The articles say the attack was observed in IE9 to IE11. The last version of IE supported for XP IE8, which is really outdated.
From the article:

flaw affects a wide range of versions of the popular browser, from IE6 to IE11

Now that this information is Public, XP + IE users must be concerned.

Quote:
Unless your hobby or job is visiting unknown sites, then this should not affect normal usage. If you indeed want to visit unknown sites, then XP or IE is not the right software.
1. Phishing
2. Ad links
3. DNS

All these become issues
Old 30th May 2014, 14:26   #32
BHPian

Avast antivirus has started reporting Internet Explorer 8 as outdated. Anyone having IE8 on their system (Win 7 comes with built in IE8) please upgrade to latest Internet Explorer. I have upgraded to Internet Explorer 11 and now the warnings are gone.

Windows XP systems may be used but a good antivirus like Avast (Yes, it supports xp) should be installed and it has to be kept away from direct internet access and unauthorized USB storage. Also, as suggested above, administrator access to be used only for system level tasks.

I am using windows 7 and my laptop's battery life has been increased. Thanks to the power management programs of Windows 7.
Old 31st July 2014, 15:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

While XP supports ended in April, XP Embedded support ends in 2019. There is a simple registry hack to convert normal XP to XP Embedded edition. Details - How to continue getting free security updates for Windows XP -- until 2019

I expected Microsoft to patch this in last update cycle for XP Embedded. But many folks have reported that are receiving patches even after this hack. Hence sharing this - good till it lasts
Old 1st August 2014, 11:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While XP supports ended in April, XP Embedded support ends in 2019. There is a simple registry hack to convert normal XP to XP Embedded edition. Details - How to continue getting free security updates for Windows XP -- until 2019

I expected Microsoft to patch this in last update cycle for XP Embedded. But many folks have reported that are receiving patches even after this hack. Hence sharing this - good till it lasts
I hope this doesn't make programs running on regular XP incompatible because they see the OS as a different version.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I hope this doesn't make programs running on regular XP incompatible because they see the OS as a different version.
There is no difference between normal XP & XP embedded in functionality, except the name change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks