Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2014, 23:26   #1
BHPian

Trapster (and other useful road / traffic apps)

I've been using a free iOS/ Android App called "Trapster" that warns of dangers in the road ahead - accident prone curves, intersections, school zones, etc, but most importantly Speed Cams.

If you're from Kerala, you'll know any good stretch of highway (National/ State) will have Speed Cams at 5-6 km intervals. Besides several mobile radars if the police/ RTO are running short of their monthly targets. Since the speed limits - though recently revised upwards - are sill on the lower side, chances are you are driving over the limit on any good road. And these cams are often hidden by foliage, etc, so you're highly likely to miss them - more so if driving at night. Keeping your eye to the sky on lookout for the cams can also mean mishaps on the road.

Also warnings on accident-prone areas will be extremely useful when driving on unknown highways.

Trapster (and other useful road / traffic apps)-trapster_big.png

Now this app (and many others too, but mostly not available/ uptodate here in India) gives warnings based on user-generated content. Just turn on GPS, internet, and run the app (in the background in case you're navigating or something), and it will help save a lot of time and money.

I find it extremely useful. But problem is the traps will "expire" if they are not voted up by users once in a while. Since I drive alone or with my not-so-tech-savvy dad most of the time, I'm often unable to vote up traps far away from home.

It would be great if more BHPians could contribute local info for keeping such apps up to date, and help each other by voting traps up. More the users involved in reporting speed traps, red light cameras, mobile speed cameras, etc, the more accurate trap maps will be.

Also please share what apps you use to keep yourself safe on our roads.
Old 12th May 2014, 00:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Trapster (and other useful road / traffic apps)

Here's a related thread : Waze - Community based real-time traffic & navigation

cya
R
Old 12th May 2014, 19:27   #3
BHPian

I think waze has more users here and it was useful for me on my previous 2 trips on Kerala roads.
Except 2 or 3 wrong cam locations, most of the listings on waze was accurate.
Old 14th May 2014, 14:07   #4
BHPian

Re: Trapster (and other useful road / traffic apps)

I recommended Trapster to my friends and relatives who were travelling in Kerala highways, since most of the cams are mapped. Didn't know that the POIs will elapse if not voted up.

Another problem is that all these apps need good network coverage and its still not adequate in our highways. I wish the Windows app gets updated to utilize its offline map.
Old 14th May 2014, 20:21   #5
BHPian

Yeah, I check out Waze. Thanks for the recommendation.

But, I don't think network coverage is an issue along Kerala highways. 3G is, though.

Btw, Google Maps now gives warnings if you're exceeding limits even on B roads. Nifty, though it can get a bit annoying at times.
Old 20th May 2014, 03:19   #6
BHPian

Any idea if these apps are useful in Hyderabad?

Any other apps that you suggest for users in Hyderabad?
Old 26th May 2015, 20:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the good apps for local traffic information I have seen is Traffline.

Integrates with their twitter feed for various cities and quick updates. Similar to google with traffic maps but more local context of "what is happening" on a route of your choice.
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just bumping this thread. Which app has the latest and most up to date information on this subject for Kerala

Most Viewed