Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2006, 19:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Standard AV cable, HD signals and 5.1 surround.

My PS2 came with this AV cable.

1. I want to know if this cable would be able to send HD signals from the PS2 to the TV (HD ready). Or do i need to buy a seperate video cable for that?

2. Do 5.1 channel adapters really work? Will my PS2 audio cables be able to deliver 5.1 signal to the adapter?

5.1 adapter cable.

Shan2nu
Old 28th July 2006, 23:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

You have three outlets from the PS2
L channel(Audio), R channel(Audio), video.
Just plug it to your TV AV-In port(it follows the same Red White Yellow pattern). Many TVs have 2 channel Audio's in, some have mono. In case of that you may need to plug into your stereo system for stereo sound.
Old 29th July 2006, 02:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have three outlets from the PS2
L channel(Audio), R channel(Audio), video.
Just plug it to your TV AV-In port(it follows the same Red White Yellow pattern). Many TVs have 2 channel Audio's in, some have mono. In case of that you may need to plug into your stereo system for stereo sound.
What you're talking about is regular video and stereo audio (am already using it).

What i'm talking about is HD video 1080i/720p with 5.1 surround audio and whether regular AV cables are capable of transfering all this data (with the help of adapters).

Shan2nu
Old 29th July 2006, 04:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
What you're talking about is regular video and stereo audio (am already using it).

What i'm talking about is HD video 1080i/720p with 5.1 surround audio and whether regular AV cables are capable of transfering all this data (with the help of adapters).

Shan2nu
the PS2 runs DVDs (right? - i'm a duffer when it comes to gaming consoles...) so it should be capable of digital video & audio output.

the cable which you have shown is used for analog signals and from what i understand - can also be used for digital signals though there may be certain loss depending on the quality of the cable (digital cables have better shielding or some dielectric injection - to the best of my knowledge). however, as the distance from your PS2 to the TV will hardly be more than a couple of feet, the loss will not be noticable in audio or video.

unless the source outputs a digital signal (audio), all your adapter (stereo-to-5.1) will do is split the stereo signal over 5 channels - which will be more like a simulated 5.1 sound. if you can ascertain whether the PS2 has a digital audio output port then you should be OK and just hook up your reciever directly to the PS2 and leave the stereo output connected to the TV or hanging....

ad
Old 29th July 2006, 09:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes PS2s run on DVD games. And it does have a digital outlet (optical).

So what you're saying is that i should retain the video cable (yellow), sack the audio cables (red/white) and use the digital cable for 5.1 audio?

Sounds good to me. Are these digital (optical) cables readily available?

Heres a pick of the digi port. "3rd from right"

PS : GT4 uses something called Pro Logic 2 surround. Is this similar to regular 5.1? I've read somewhere that you need recievers that recognise "pro logic", in order to get the best output.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 29th July 2006 at 09:57.
Old 29th July 2006, 10:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Digital cables will not be a problem. If the dealers dont have it, as always - SP Road.
Old 29th July 2006, 15:12   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

check if ur PS2 is the model with progressive scan (http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8880/93483.html)

if yes, ur tv supporting 16:9 and ps2 with progressive scan.... ur dvd's would be amazing...
Old 31st July 2006, 08:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Shan,

The cable you have is a composite audio / video cable. (Red&White = L&R audio, Yellow =Video)

The (only) step up from that for a PS2 that i know of is a component output. Its a similar cable, but will have 5 plugs instead of 3. (2 for L & R audio, 3 for video)

As for the audio, the converter you posted a pic of will not really give you the true effect of the 5.1 as intended in GT4 if i am not mistaken. Try the optical out? (not sure on this one)

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2006 at 08:07.
Old 1st August 2006, 15:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

Yeah Rehaan, i was thinking they might have cables like those for the PS2. But, i'm willing to spend on an digital cable (provided the 5.1 reciever we buy, comes with it)

Quote:
check if ur PS2 is the model with progressive scan
Yes, the model i've got has progressive scan. Will try some things once we get the Sony TV this evening.

Shan2nu
Old 7th March 2011, 20:18   #10
BHPian

Playstation to VGA/DVI-D Cable?

Hi all!

I've been searching for a cable that can help me connect a PS2 to my computer display for ages! The Display accepts VGA or DVI-D inputs. Thing is I dont have a TV in my bedroom but instead a PC connected to a home theatre system. The display is just 24" but is really good for gaming and I would love to have the PS2 on it. I can play movies on the HT system without having to turn on the PC. But neither the display, nor the HT system can accept the PS2 cable. So I'm miffed!

I tried several TV Tuner boxes, however they all have some or the other issues or downscaling at times. Some of them even have lag and that is never a good thing when you're gaming!

I'm surprised at the downscaling since afaik PS2 puts out a max of only 480P.

Is there a cable that can help me? Have you used one? I'm sure there are a few gamers here! Hellllp!!!

Thanks!

Tassem.

Last edited by Tassem : 7th March 2011 at 20:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks