Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2006, 17:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

GPRS Providers in US

Hey Guys, I hope I searched enough before posting this thread.

I'm planning to visit Texas, US next week and wud be there for about 2 months. This time I was planning to carry my cell phone as well and had a question on the GPRS service providers in that area.

I'm using Hutch Access o my cell and was wondering if I can continue using the same down there in US. I asked Hutch folks on the same, at first, executives on customer support are saying that its not available with partners, only within hutch circles, later she confirmed that its available with T-Mobile only and will be charged.
From the website I can see that there are three partners for the Hutch; two of them are pre commercial and one (T-Mobile) is commercial. so the pre commercial ones should not be charging roaming rates. So, I have to latch to the either of those two providers so that I wont be charged.
here is the website.

http://www.hutch.in/roaming/postpaid_gprs.asp

http://www.hutch.in/roaming/postinte...name=Karnataka

I was just wondering if anyone might have travelled earlier and provide me some input on the same!!
thanks.

Last edited by adya33 : 1st August 2006 at 17:35.
Old 1st August 2006, 18:35   #2
BHPian

What phone do you have?. I am assuming its atleast a TRi band, else it wont work here.

You might be better off getting a T-mobile SIM card in Texas rather than using the Hutch. The cost of a new connection will be peanuts compared to the international roaming charges you will incur. Of course you cant keep the same number.

You can check out the T Mobile site to see if they have coverage in your area. Its a very powerfull site and you will enjoy it after seeing the hutch site.

I am using T Mobile for a year now and their service is excellent.
Old 1st August 2006, 18:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123
What phone do you have?. I am assuming its atleast a TRi band, else it wont work here.

You might be better off getting a T-mobile SIM card in Texas rather than using the Hutch. The cost of a new connection will be peanuts compared to the international roaming charges you will incur. Of course you cant keep the same number.

You can check out the T Mobile site to see if they have coverage in your area. Its a very powerfull site and you will enjoy it after seeing the hutch site.

I am using T Mobile for a year now and their service is excellent.
Thanks for the response,
I'm using a tri-band phone and I have got the Hutch Access (that allows you to brows internet) with unlimited data plan.
I'm not going to make much of the calls using this phone in US. I'm planning to activate the roaming on this phone so I can continue accessing my data over this phone. I may use different phone for making calls, I was planning to access data over this phone so I dont need to spend extra on data while I'm there.

I understand that there are two kind of providers, Commercial and Pre Commercial. Pre Commercial providers will not charge you over the data access. I see that there are two Pre Commercial providers for Hutch in US from the URL I attached here and they should not be charging on data access but yes, the voice they will be charging as per the norms.

Hutch has listed three providers as follows

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Cingular (pre-commercial)[FONT=Consolas][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]AT&T (pre-commercial)[FONT=Consolas][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]T-mobile (commercial)[FONT=Consolas][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks