Team-BHP - Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/15881-direct-home-television-india-update-dth-uhd-4k-now-available.html)

Which is better Dish or Set top box in Chennai?
Deal is

Hathway Fully refundable deposit for STB
Rs. 270 pm for all Star and Zee (no HBO/ KTV andSun
Music)

Dish TV 5100 initial amout
Zee + HBO and other english channels
after one year pay Rs.262 per month.

Cost, future ?, Quality, Services etc., your comments pl.

mite, u ppl in chennai are damn lucky to have the SetTopBox facility! even in the worst tvs u get such great clear pictures! i am in hyderabad, and have recently purchased a plasma n hometheater, and the cable quality sucks big time! :( i even tried to arrange for a settopbox from chennai to use with my set, but it wont as it has to connect with SCV provider only.

Dish TV is available in Hyd, but they giving only ZEE channels mostly, and not SONY and STAR. and nowadays the best entertainment is on the STAR One! (luv the sarabhai and khichdi and laughter champions!). I heard that STAR and SONY are also going to lauch their DISH TV sets very soon.

DTH is so high in Chennai ?

Here for Zee DTH service it is 3999 for initial and then 1 yr free
Later it is 142 Rs/month but they dont have Star/Espn and Discovery/Travel channels which are the only ones I watch!

But DTH quality is superb, only thing is that not ALL channels are available on Zee or even DishTV yet. As soon as I get all sports channels on 1 DTH package I will shift to it as paying 350/month for crap quality cable is stupid.

Star will come out with its own DTH soon (or it may be out already) while DD has free service (who wants to watch DD though)

So you have to decide which channels you watch are on what and take accordingly, but I think you should check out all DTH providers out.

All those in Pune get Hathway set top box

It beats dish TV anyday
Initial payment is 4000 & then onwards its your normal cable rent
for which you get superior quality picture
and the most important thing is you get all channels plus more that you get on normal cable (all star, zee, sony etc)

one of the worst thing I found about dish tv is time gap between changing channel,

Hi! all
dont go for settop box. it is a ploy by MSO's(multi system operators) like hathway, citi etc to keep u with local cable wallah even though u r going to get more DTH operators with in 6 months. once u have invested 4K on settop box u will think twice before swtching to DTH even if all channels are availble. that is the reason why all of a sudden cable guys want settop box's which they vehemently opposed one and half years back

Guys just on query, if I have a PIP TV does the PIP work for the DTH channels? Can I view different DTH channels using PIP?

seems technically impossible, since DTH decodes only one channel at a time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by solly
Guys just on query, if I have a PIP TV does the PIP work for the DTH channels? Can I view different DTH channels using PIP?

I don't think so with the normal zenega box, It only happens if your STB has the PIP facility.

problem with STB's and DTH is that if you have more than 1 TV, you need a seperate connection for each TV. Which works out way too expensive.

With the regular cable line, all I do is pipe the signal to the TV's in the other rooms. Just don't invite the cable guy in there!

We bought a set-top box for our plasma and the clarity is awesome! not that it was bad before but its crystal clear with the settop.If u have a big tv or a plasma its worth the few extra 1000s that u pay. The cable walla got us the box not extra montly charge for it just the cost of the box.Number of channels have also increased.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkg
Hi! all
dont go for settop box. it is a ploy by MSO's(multi system operators) like hathway, citi etc to keep u with local cable wallah even though u r going to get more DTH operators with in 6 months. once u have invested 4K on settop box u will think twice before swtching to DTH even if all channels are availble. that is the reason why all of a sudden cable guys want settop box's which they vehemently opposed one and half years back

if you are getting crystal clear quality & all channels why should anyone wait 6 months ?
besides about a year ago it was said 6 months
6 months before that it was said 3 months

Guys, here in chennai. I need two channels HBO and Star movies.

If i get STB, i dont get HBO.
If i get DTH, i dont get star movies.

What do i do??? :confused:

Wish Tata-sky being launched, we have more choices without depending upon cable operators...

any idea whats the offer from tata-sky now ?

I think its 3990 Rs. for setup box and promotional offer of Rs 200 / month.

they've got 40 channels bouqet as of now i think, DishTV has 140 odd channels.