Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
The Nautilus (though well regarded) is not on my list of favourite speakers. I think it is too expensive and over-rated for what it does. It does do somethings well though and I have heard it at the BBC studios in London not an average listening room. Of the large speakers Dunlavy, VMPS, Soundlab, and even ALR's Factor 7 sound more balanced to MY ears.
Navinji I second that...
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:26   #2
BHPian

Quote:

The Nautilus (though well regarded) is not on my list of favourite speakers. I think it is too expensive and over-rated for what it does. It does do somethings well though and I have heard it at the BBC studios in London not an average listening room. Of the large speakers Dunlavy, VMPS, Soundlab, and even ALR's Factor 7 sound more balanced to MY ears.
Interesting..... Would love to hear any of them.... sadly never had the oppurtunity... I guess the most important factor for budding audio/ICE enthusiasts would be to try to develop a good ear......Can only be doen by hearing the correct music on good equipment....
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:40   #3
BHPian

Live Music

A Night club is the worst place to develop a good ear...or to hear good equipment....I mostly percieve nightclubs as pure noise..not only because of the equipment but also because of the music they mostly play nowadays....
I used to like Oasis at Hyatt Regency,Delhi.( I think its closed now )....They sometimes had a great LIVE band playing... Im hearing good things about the Morisson Cafe in delhi too..dunno never been there myself...

LIVE music is a great place to start..if one wants to develop a good ear....... as your system should sound as close ( sonically ) to LIVE music as possible......correct me if im wrong gurus... !!!
Old 2nd August 2006, 15:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
B&T I think we are talking very different applications here. Lets retain SPL as a pure SPL system will little regard to balance, SQ as a pure quality system will limited SPL capability and a SQL system that is capable of producing SQ at higher levels than most SQ systems.

1. 140db would sound bad no matter what as your ears would have overloaded long before that. Atleast it would not sound natural. 95db is loud enough to damage your ears if the level is sustained for periods longer than 45 mins.

2. The Nautilus (though well regarded) is not on my list of favourite speakers. I think it is too expensive and over-rated for what it does. It does do somethings well though and I have heard it at the BBC studios in London not an average listening room. Of the large speakers Dunlavy, VMPS, Soundlab, and even ALR's Factor 7 sound more balanced to MY ears.
The Nautiluses aren't my favourite speakers by a mile. The only reason I cited it as an example is since the 801 has a 15" bass driver and can produce some decent spl.
Old 2nd August 2006, 16:48   #5
BHPian

Nautilus range of B&W speakers are heavily over rated. The old Matrixes used to sound much better. There are lot of high end speakers in similar price range which can kick Nautilus's a$$ in SQ and SQL.

Last edited by Autophile : 2nd August 2006 at 16:50.
Old 2nd August 2006, 17:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
Nautilus range of B&W speakers are heavily over rated. The old Matrixes used to sound much better. There are lot of high end speakers in similar price range which can kick Nautilus's a$$ in SQ and SQL.
Hey JB... can we hear any in Delhi??...Would love to broaden my horizons...
Old 2nd August 2006, 17:39   #7
BHPian

Sure I can take you to audition Tannoy High End.

Other than that you can find lots like Avantgarde, Sonus Faber, JM Lab - Focal etc.

Last edited by Autophile : 2nd August 2006 at 17:45.
Old 2nd August 2006, 22:47   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
Matrix were decent but a bright. Atleast the bass was tight. sadly the better speakers I have heard will never reach the indian shores. and remember guys at this level the listening room ought to have just as much attention as the components.

Last edited by navin : 2nd August 2006 at 22:49.
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:33   #9
BHPian

All the big names are great if one has a limit less budget..But what if one was on a budget say... under 100K for the amp and speakers...then what brands would you recommend......My musical tastes are for Rock,anythign with strong vocals...
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:13   #10
BHPian

100 K is a good budget for amplifier and speakers. You can have very good sounding equipment for this price. There are lot of options you can look at.
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:36   #11
BHPian

Im all ears AutoPhile.....................
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:40   #12
BHPian

BTW my 100K budget was in INR and not US$............
What brands would I be looking for??? mayeb this weekend I cud go and audition a few.... What kind of amplification /speaker combination would I be looking for??? a few pointers would be great>>
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456
BTW my 100K budget was in INR and not US$............
What brands would I be looking for??? mayeb this weekend I cud go and audition a few.... What kind of amplification /speaker combination would I be looking for??? a few pointers would be great>>
sk , edit your old posts instead of making new post. And you are hijacking thsi thread.
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:45   #14
BHPian

OOOPS!!!!!! Do i merge/delete the psots or do I start a new thread. A Home Audio topic would really be great Mods!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks