Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2016, 15:07   #1
BHPian

Automation: Game of designing & building cars

I'm a bit surprised that one of my favourite games is not here - "Automation: The Car Company Tycoon Game". Unlike most other car games out there, the focus here is less on driving the cars and more about designing them. In fact, you can't drive the cars at all.

Automation is more like a sandbox environment where you design engines and cars to specs that you like.

For example, here's my design that I call the HK ("Huayra Killer" ) which is an all-out hypercar with a 5.0L 827hp V12 and goes around the Top Gear track in 1:09.77.
Automation: Game of designing & building cars-20160604-14_55_24automation-design-tools-work-progress-build-160420.png

On the other hand, if you want a more fun car, here's my hot-hatch design with a 1.4L 220hp turbocharged straight-4 which does very well against the Ford Focus ST.
Automation: Game of designing & building cars-20160604-14_57_56automation-design-tools-work-progress-build-160420.png

You start the game by first choosing the start year for the design. The start year can range from 1940 (classic cars) to 2020 (future cars). The technologies available to you will depend on your start year - don't expect to design 10,000 rpm V12 DOHC with fuel injection in 1940. Once you've selected the start year, you can then proceed with choosing a platform (sedan, sports, SUV etc.) and then choosing the specific body-style within the platform (2-door, hatchback, pickup etc.). From that point on, you move into the nitty-gritty of designing your car - the chassis type (ladder/monocoque), front suspension, rear suspension, engine location (FF, FR, MR etc). You can modify the standard bodies using the mouse to stretch, pinch and otherwise mould it to your liking.
Automation: Game of designing & building cars-1.png

You can design engines as part of the car design or separately. Currently only I4, I6, V6, V8 & V12 engines are available, but more are on the way. You choose the engine materials (iron, Alu, AlSi) and technologies (DOHC, VVL), bore, stroke and so on. You can tune the engines for the desired application (high-revving powerhorse / frugal commuter / off-road) by modifying stuff like compression ratios, cam profiles, fuel system, intakes and exhaust etc.
Automation: Game of designing & building cars-2.png

Returning to the car, you can also modify stuff like transmission types, gear-ratios, tires, interior trim level, safety features and so on. At the end of this you can simulate how the car will perform on some standard test tracks (one of which is the Top Gear Airfield track).
Automation: Game of designing & building cars-20160604-15_04_10automation-design-tools-work-progress-build-160420.png

The game is very open and there are a ton of free add-ons available that expand the selection of body styles and design elements that are available to you. Automation is currently in active beta, so it is functional (with occasional errors) and is improving day by day.

You can buy Automation on Steam @ Rs. 729
Old 4th June 2016, 18:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Automation: Game of designing & building cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
I'm a bit surprised that one of my favourite games is not here - "Automation: The Car Company Tycoon Game".
I had been following the game since its development started. Bought the first beta (standalone - not on steam). Though I liked the depth of the game, I was unable to continue with it. The main reason was the lack of time, then the little less exciting options present then.

Was a fan of "Car Tycoon", very old strategic game of controlling your own car industry.

Considering how much "Automation" has grown, I think might start playing it again.
Old 4th June 2016, 18:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashir View Post
I had been following the game since its development started. Bought the first beta (standalone - not on steam). Though I liked the depth of the game, I was unable to continue with it. The main reason was the lack of time, then the little less exciting options present then.

Was a fan of "Car Tycoon", very old strategic game of controlling your own car industry.

Considering how much "Automation" has grown, I think might start playing it again.
I'm an old Car Tycoon fan too!

I've been playing Automation for quite a while (about a year now I think), and it's improved leaps and bounds. The UI has changed and you now have a lot of new tech to play around with. If you have already paid for the Beta you should still be able to download the latest version.
Old 4th June 2016, 18:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
I'm an old Car Tycoon fan too!

I've been playing Automation for quite a while (about a year now I think), and it's improved leaps and bounds. The UI has changed and you now have a lot of new tech to play around with. If you have already paid for the Beta you should still be able to download the latest version.
As far as I remember, when I bought the beta (or alpha ?), it was clearly mentioned that for the later STEAM version, we will have to buy again. But, 800 bucks for this is very less anyways. Just need to sort out the time for it before buying

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks